Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 P85 versus 2017 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just back from my first road trip. I got 179 Wh/km. The 100D is definitely more efficient than the P85. I assume most of that is due to the AWD system, with the taller geared front motor and torque sleep. There would also be a small effect from switching to 19" from 21" wheels. On most legs of the trip I was achieving better range than predicted by the Energy App, which isn't something that happened with the P85.

The combination of the 18% larger battery and higher efficiency means this thing has gobs of range. I found that very useful on my trip; it allowed me to skip a Supercharger and cut the total trip time down.

It's all of that plus the slightly lower drag coefficient with the new nose. I also thought that there's something about the design of the motors of the P models that makes it less efficient - you can even see it on the configuration page of Tesla between the P and non-P models.

About the only draw back I'm seeing is that the ride quality of the 100D isn't as quite as supple as with the 90D (2017 vs 2016 respectively).

@Doug_G I was in a hurry so I couldn't check the VIN, but this could be yours. I saw it yesterday at Lawrence SC in the lot behind the building parked next to my car.
IMG_20170613_124635.jpg

Seriously? How did you hear about that?

Yeah he mentioned it in his article.

Inactive - 5YJSA1DP0CFS02006
compositor

2012 Model S P85
$66,500
76,117 KM
Signature Red Paint
Sunroof (Older)
No Rear Facing Seats
Carbon Fiber Décor
21" Turbine Wheels
Rear Wheel Drive
Tech package - No Autopilot
Smart Air Suspension
No Cold Weather Package
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
No Ludicrous Upgrade

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Hi:

Been a while since I posted. I have a 2015 P85D and am looking now for ordering a P100D. Likely not for delivery before next summer, but never too early to start researching.

Your comparison is really helpful. I am particularly interested in the interior upgrades since mine and also the technology obviously.

Two initial questions:
1) I have the dual charger in my current car. It doesn't look like that is an option anymore. The P100D comes with 72 amps though - is that dual charger or just a single one upgraded? Obviously it will run less than the 80 amps i currently run the dual charger at. Why did they make this change?

2) I can't tell from the website the difference between seats. At one point they had cooled seats too? the headrests now move? (can see that online from the pics?).

Sorry for the simple questions (tried searching without much luck). My concern as always is to "miss" out on a huge upgrade. I got lucky with the "D" - ordering a few weeks earlier than when I ordered mine and the "D" wasn't an option.

Thanks

Brad

Okay we were in the progress of hijacking the other thread, so I've split this off.

I've only had the 100D for a whole day now, so I haven't fully experienced the car yet. So far there are lots of big and little differences.

Acceleration - about the same as the P85, as promised. It feels peppier at low speeds, but I don't think the 0-60 is faster (haven't measured yet). Still very fast. It has significantly better stability and handling under hard acceleration (within the limits of the traction circle of course). The P85 would tend to get a little tail-happy under acceleration; the 100D does not at all.

Tires - I went with the 19" rims, because I'm tired of losing 21" tires and/or rims to the ubiquitous Ottawa spring potholes. The car came with all seasons, though, which is a step down in performance. AWD compensates for that to a significant degree. I'll put better tires on when they wear out. (I kept the winter rims from the P85, though surprisingly they're starting to look a little rough.)

Autopilot - well what can I say... has AP2, old car didn't. AP2 is of course still a work in progress, but it does work. Pretty clever sticking cameras in the side badges. I really like having adaptive cruise control; for me that's actually a bigger deal than the autosteer.

100 kWh. Wow it's got a lot of range. P85 arrived in Montreal a little shy of 30%, 100D arrived home with nearly 50%. (Both started at 90%, drove about the same speed.)

Frunk - about 1/3 the space. Not a biggie because I rarely use it.

New seats - wow they're quite a lot better. The head rests now move up/down - motorized. That was a surprise.

Glass roof - I really like it! It's so darkly tinted you could pretty much safely observe sunspots through it, so maybe a bit overdone lol. It's more impressive from the back seat where you can actually see it. The P85's pano roof wasn't very reliable and didn't get a great deal of use except cracking it slightly for cooling when parked.

Center console - has some pros and cons, but mostly pros. Less storage space, but has hidden storage, a phone dock, and cupholders.

Cup holders - big improvement. It retains the existing two sucky cupholders. Adds two in the center console (removable and also way better) and two in the back seat (a biggie). My original cupholders had the little springy things for gripping the drinks, which disappeared very early on... but they were only modestly effective anyway.

Fit and finish - definitely better inside and out. Has one panel misalignment on the front fender though. More extensive alacantra, and the dark finish is nice.

Charger - going from 80A to 72A. Not a big deal. I usually charge at 40A anyway... but that takes quite a while to totally fill 100 kW. I've converted my Roadster charger to J1772 so I can charge at 70A if I really need faster.

Charge port - it automatically closes. Better than the old one, which would occasionally pop back open after you closed it!

Folding mirrors - I've disabled the auto-fold, but it will be handy occasionally. They do fold in when using Summon, and pop back out again when you get in - a nice touch.

Headlights - look superficially the same, but they're actually totally different. The old eyebrow was very visibly a series of LEDs, the new one looks continuous (it's frosted). The round HIDs are gone and replaced by LEDs. They give nice even illumination, but when looking into them they are so individually directional that you only see a couple of them. It seems to result in less visible glare.

Has the winter package. Will appreciate having the steering wheel heater.

Lost a couple of metal trim bits - under tailgate latch, pedals. Lost the carbon fiber spoiler at the back (was included with the Sig, but I didn't pay extra for it on the 100D).

Slight whirring sound from the front motor. It's actually much less noticeable than it was in the loaners I have driven, so they have improved on that substantially.

Red color - well it's brighter. Seems like I somehow blended the Roadster and the P85...

@Albatross

1) I suspect it may be a single unit. Probably technology improvements allowed them to squeeze more power into the same sized box at a lower cost. Also the Superchargers use the identical same units (multiple units ganged together), so squeezing more power into the box probably allows them to also upgrade Supercharger capacity. The difference between 72 and 80 amps is not that important, IMHO. I charge at 40A at home unless I need to charge faster for some reason (has happened once in the last year).

2) The seats are not cooled, but are heated. The headrests not only move but are motorized. The seats are a huge improvement over my old P85.

Thanks Doug. Appreciate it. I saw on a thread and online a few months back they had cooled seats as well - but then they stopped offering that as an option. I think it was due to maintenance/quality issues. Too bad as would be nice in the summer (the climate system still leaves a bit to be desired at least on mine...)

@Albatross

1) I suspect it may be a single unit. Probably technology improvements allowed them to squeeze more power into the same sized box at a lower cost. Also the Superchargers use the identical same units (multiple units ganged together), so squeezing more power into the box probably allows them to also upgrade Supercharger capacity. The difference between 72 and 80 amps is not that important, IMHO. I charge at 40A at home unless I need to charge faster for some reason (has happened once in the last year).

2) The seats are not cooled, but are heated. The headrests not only move but are motorized. The seats are a huge improvement over my old P85.

Thanks Doug. Appreciate it. I saw on a thread and online a few months back they had cooled seats as well - but then they stopped offering that as an option. I think it was due to maintenance/quality issues. Too bad as would be nice in the summer (the climate system still leaves a bit to be desired at least on mine...)

The cooled seats never really worked that well from the vast feedback on them. They didn't push air conditioned air through them, in fact they worked by sucking in air and users reported them to be pretty worthless. Also since the seats were perforated, they were susceptible to tearing a lot easier.

Hey Doug, Indeed it looks like Im buying your old. Anything I should know about it? Any quirks?

It's a good car. The battery is holding up really well. The tires are brand-spanking-new - when I went to put the summers on I realized they were corded, so I replaced them.

It was the very first Model S delivered in Canada (by 15 minutes!). Of course it had the expected "early adopter" issues, and also Tesla decided to upgrade a lot of stuff along the way. That means a good chunk of the hardware is newer than the car. That includes the door handles (newer version than original), touchscreen, drive unit (also updated version), brakes, some suspension components, and a bunch of smaller items.

The only thing that had been repeatedly troublesome was the pano roof, but a year ago they finally fixed it for good - it has been working great ever since.

The main reason I traded in was to get AWD. RWD is actually pretty decent in winter but you'll want to get a set of really good winter tires - not the Pirelli stuff Tesla sells, but Nokkian Hakkas or XIce3 (I have the latter).

Would be nice to see it go to a good home!

It's a good car. The battery is holding up really well. The tires are brand-spanking-new - when I went to put the summers on I realized they were corded, so I replaced them.

It was the very first Model S delivered in Canada (by 15 minutes!). Of course it had the expected "early adopter" issues, and also Tesla decided to upgrade a lot of stuff along the way. That means a good chunk of the hardware is newer than the car. That includes the door handles (newer version than original), touchscreen, drive unit (also updated version), brakes, some suspension components, and a bunch of smaller items.

The only thing that had been repeatedly troublesome was the pano roof, but a year ago they finally fixed it for good - it has been working great ever since.

The main reason I traded in was to get AWD. RWD is actually pretty decent in winter but you'll want to get a set of really good winter tires - not the Pirelli stuff Tesla sells, but Nokkian Hakkas or XIce3 (I have the latter).

Would be nice to see it go to a good home!

Thanks for that message. that's very reassuring. Tesla also said that they would "recertify" the car through the CPO program so there's that too.

Yeah I would also prefer AWD and that's what I aim to get with the Model 3. I figured I don't know exactly when that will be available in Canada so I'll drive the Model S at least until it's available and I'll see what I'm going to do at that point.

I'll take good care of it in the meantime. Don't worry.