Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 P85 versus 2017 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GREAT THREAD HERE!

You may find (as I have) that you will keep that Model S for the long term, we can't imagine trading out S away for a smaller car, the massive original frunk is awesome. Of course, I'm keeping my Model 3 reservation for me, and that might sadly require trading in my beloved Smart ED ... not sure on that.

It's a good car. The battery is holding up really well. The tires are brand-spanking-new - when I went to put the summers on I realized they were corded, so I replaced them.

It was the very first Model S delivered in Canada (by 15 minutes!). Of course it had the expected "early adopter" issues, and also Tesla decided to upgrade a lot of stuff along the way. That means a good chunk of the hardware is newer than the car. That includes the door handles (newer version than original), touchscreen, drive unit (also updated version), brakes, some suspension components, and a bunch of smaller items.

The only thing that had been repeatedly troublesome was the pano roof, but a year ago they finally fixed it for good - it has been working great ever since.

The main reason I traded in was to get AWD. RWD is actually pretty decent in winter but you'll want to get a set of really good winter tires - not the Pirelli stuff Tesla sells, but Nokkian Hakkas or XIce3 (I have the latter).

Would be nice to see it go to a good home!

Well, I was just at the Lawrence SC to retrieve my car, and saw the car in the backlot - looked prepped for delivery too. Also saw a signature X there. Will post pics once I get a chance (and blank out the plates). I have to say the S looked pristine! Fred should be happy.

Reactions: Doug_G
2) The seats are not cooled, but are heated. The headrests not only move but are motorized. The seats are a huge improvement over my old P85.
@Albatross - The seats are often difficult to identify and/or pin down on Model S.

As an example, my P100D does have ventilated seats while my P85D had both front and rear Next Gen (which went through several phases of available on website but not installed initially, then available but only on the front, then not available at all but available in front or front+back on inventory cars, etc.) while my Sig P85 has performance piping with little bolstering.

My quick evaluation of the three sets is:
- P100D ventilated: 8/10 comfort, 6/10 bolstering
- P85D nextgen: 5/10 comfort, 9/10 bolstering
- Sig P85 performance: 10/10 comfort, 0/10 bolstering

My "comfort" score is a rough average of my rating and my front seat passenger evaluation while my "bolstering" rating is w/r/t autocross passenger "hands free" experience.

Last edited: