Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S sudden battery failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
still in warranty? I wonder if it will no longer be "fine" once the warranty is up and you'll get a "charge level reduced" message...
Thankfully 3 more years. November 2016 Build for my MX. Has gone down hill in supercharging rates too. at 50% SOC, it's like a brick wall and will drop from around 90kW to around 50kW. Peak charge rate currently seems to be around 112kW. 3 months ago I could hit 138kW peak. Temperature makes no difference on the peak.
Oh I'm dang sure it will "fail" a week or two after warranty is up. Making sure I have enough "Concern" noted with service where if that happens, I can go back and say it was an existing issue.

Thankfully 3 more years. November 2016 Build for my MX. Has gone down hill in supercharging rates too. at 50% SOC, it's like a brick wall and will drop from around 90kW to around 50kW. Peak charge rate currently seems to be around 112kW. 3 months ago I could hit 138kW peak. Temperature makes no difference on the peak.
Oh I'm dang sure it will "fail" a week or two after warranty is up. Making sure I have enough "Concern" noted with service where if that happens, I can go back and say it was an existing issue.
Or just sell it while used market is hot

only problem is you also have to buy a car to replace the on you sold, potentially, so if it's also used, you lose out. OTOH, buying a new car and getting $7500 tax credit could be interesting. Only problem is Tesla doesn't have that anymore. I wonder how long till we get new EV credits, and how much it will be for Tesla.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Wendy did you get a reply to this? I'm in the same boat as you and I'm here in Menlo Park. I Tried for mercy at the Pal Alto service center when my 2013 P85 battery stopped taking a charge 2 weeks after the warranty expired (expired 9/21/21). I stopped driving it with 130 on the battery and with the slow drain every day, I have 90 miles left until it's completely dead.
The Service center folks are all super friendly and act like they care but at the end of the day the shop manager says he can't do anything because his hands are tied by the regional manager. All they offer is the $25,000.00 HV replacement or $12,000.00 refurbished replacement with a 4 year/50,000mile warranty. Gruber in AZ isn't really a good way to go IMO since you'll pay 5-6k minimum for fixing a single module (more bad modules will increase the price) plus you have to pay to truck it to and from AZ to have the work done. I'm assuming that fix will run in the neighborhood of $8k-$9k and the downside is they only provide a 1 year warranty plus they are backlogged 6 months on the Model S.
I'd love to hear how you are progressing with the service centers here on the peninsula? I would really like to know who the regional managers are and how to contact them.
Following...interesting that my 2013 P85+ was exactly 14 days out of warranty! HV at >$22k out of pocket quoted. I am disgruntled enough as an owner, practically an early adopter, as a shareholder this seems to be the tip of the iceberg of a bigger problem. Quite a few of the early year owners were/are people of influence. I hope one with the right PR and reach, expose this.

Still not worth it. As raphy3 said, I'd still need to replace the vehicle(s). Sure I could go down to a 3 or y, but those are too much of a sacrifice. This is the wrong place to nit pick the differences, but they are too great.
I'm also grandfathered in for premium data on both vehicles, already upgraded both to MCU2, so got a lot of the add-ons there. I'm grandfathered in for unlimited supercharging for the life of the vehicle. I drive 45k/year, so that supercharging alone makes it worth while. Seems my 90d MS's battery has leveled off with degradation for now, at 248 miles per charge and a pack capacity of 73kWh. So as long as I can live with that range, I'm "OK". 3-4 years ago, I don't think I could live with that range, but with so many superchargers now, it's not so bad. My first MS was a MS60, with a 100% charge at new of 209.
My MX75D range is now about 209 at 100% charge with a pack capacity of about 65kWh. Where as I can nail the range spot on with the MS, the MX, I'm LUCKY to get 75% of the rated range in the summer and difficult to hit 50% rated range in the winter unless I kill the heat. The MX is mostly used as an in-town vehicle. We use the MS for longer drives, Milwaukee to Chitcago, or other long distance depending on what I need to get done, the MX is great around town car and 7 passenger when the In-Laws visit (for 6 months at a crack!)

I am selling my S and placed order for Y. :)
tempting, but I would get fomo if the new bill passed and suddenly we can get $7500 off of a Tesla. I think that might push me to get a 3LR. Although as @islandbayy said the tradeoffs might be harsh and I haven't fully evaluated that yet (I know I'm going to miss the huuuuuge frunk, which I use like 4-5 times per year, so it's probably irrational to worry about it)

edit to add: are people interested in making a new thread that evaluates the tradeoffs of selling old S, getting new 3 or Y? I haven't looked around to see if it already exists yet.

So sorry to hear of your situation. Really hope you find a solution.

Really horrified to hear this story. I had been thinking of getting a 7 year old model S as a replacement for our remaining ICE car (to go with our awesome 2021 M3 LR). They're selling for up to £35k-£40k here in the UK. Seems like crazily bad value when a battery failure a year later could reduce the effective value to near zero.

All of the car manufacturers need a better plan than this for repairing batteries out of warranty though it will probably take a long concerted public campaign to shame them into action. This is the old anti EV scare story that batteries will have to be replaced at warranty expiry coming true.

My model S idea is now canned sadly, thanks to Tesla's apparent disinterest in battery repair. So much for sustainability.

Guess I'll have to get something much less interesting for a second EV like an ID.3. I can't justify the expense of another M3 for a low mileage second car.

Reactions: raphy3
My model S idea is now canned sadly, thanks to Tesla's apparent disinterest in battery repair. So much for sustainability.

I think you should escalate and if you don't get a good response about repairing the battery, consider sending a tweet to Tesla leadership...something like "Please offer a low-cost out of warranty battery repair option with a full warranty for at least four years."

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
I think you should escalate and if you don't get a good response about repairing the battery, consider sending a tweet to Tesla leadership...something like "Please offer a low-cost out of warranty battery repair option with a full warranty for at least four years."
There is no escalation path in Tesla.

They don’t repair customer batteries. They probably never will. They swap them, and remanufacture the cores they take in to be sold to someone else.

I mean, by all means, tweet if it makes you feel better.

Hoovies and rich rebuilds just did episodes on this on YouTube. Gruber did this as well. They basically found the faulty cells/packs and replaced them rather than the entire battery tray for about $1500-$2000. Tesla has to come up with a better fix than an entire tray swap.

The "cheap" repair is already available: Tesla offers reman battery replacement for 12k 😇

• Funny
Reactions: sorka and WhiteWi
So sorry to hear of your situation. Really hope you find a solution.

Really horrified to hear this story. I had been thinking of getting a 7 year old model S as a replacement for our remaining ICE car (to go with our awesome 2021 M3 LR). They're selling for up to £35k-£40k here in the UK. Seems like crazily bad value when a battery failure a year later could reduce the effective value to near zero.

All of the car manufacturers need a better plan than this for repairing batteries out of warranty though it will probably take a long concerted public campaign to shame them into action. This is the old anti EV scare story that batteries will have to be replaced at warranty expiry coming true.

Guess I'll have to get something much less interesting for a second EV like an ID.3. I can't justify the expense of another M3 for a low mileage second car.
Be also mindful that the initial 8 year unlimited mileage warranty was for both the battery and drive unit.
Drive unit out of warranty are around 10k, so be mindful of that as well if you plan on buying an out of warranty S.

I'm not trying to discourage you: personally I plan on keeping mine after the end of the warranty, but those costs, I've factored them in in my TCO for the coming years (ie I highly expect to have those costs within 2 years post end of warranty), and I prefer to keep the S.

Reactions: Nujec
Be also mindful that the initial 8 year unlimited mileage warranty was for both the battery and drive unit.
Drive unit out of warranty are around 10k, so be mindful of that as well if you plan on buying an out of warranty S.

I'm not trying to discourage you: personally I plan on keeping mine after the end of the warranty, but those costs, I've factored them in in my TCO for the coming years (ie I highly expect to have those costs within 2 years post end of warranty), and I prefer to keep the S.

Drive units have gone down in price at least for my Model S 85. Tesla replaced my rear drive unit for just under $5000 for a new unit 2 months ago.

After saving up for months - I'm finally pulling the trigger on new 90kwh battery pack from Tesla.

Backstory:
My 2013 S85 barely has 80k miles - software update/charge gate came a few months of being outside of the 8 yr warranty. I started noticing max charge (90% in my case since I never charge at 100%) dropped gradually from 210 to 190 down to 40 miles. Practically woke up the following morning after seeing the low SOC the front dash stating I need to call it in for Tesla service. Surely enough tesla mobile service tells me that I have to replace HV battery at whopping 22k.

I couldn't afford at the time being so I sent to Grubber for repair. Car sat in Gruber service ground for almost 5 months waiting to be repaired. When I am finally next in queue, the fire broke in the main service center and Gruber lost all equipment to service my vehicle. My car was in the 2min youtube video of the fire right next to 3 fire fighters as they were inspecting what was left of the service center. Picture attached.

Fast forward to today, basically no choice but to ship the car back to Tesla Service center near our home in CA. Biggest fear at this point, we barely had the money saved up for the new battery, I don't know if we can afford another 5k to replace drive unit.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the read. With this experience, we will probably sell our 2018 MX a year before the warranty expires. Love driving teslas but this journey has been an absolute nightmare.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211018-155512_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211018-155512_Samsung Internet.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Helpful
Reactions: Nujec and Droschke
That’s a bummer. Have you considered going with a remanufactured battery? Others have reported costs for that option at ~half the $22k you’re referencing.

Yes, I have. I had reached out to multiple service centers and I would get one of below:
1.) I would be totally ghosted when sending email inquiry. No response on emails regarding alternative battery replacement.
2.) Visiting in person result in "Sorry we only do brand new battery replacement that your vehicle qualify for which is the 90kwh pack."

😩

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
You have no idea how many times I wished my vehicle was caught in the fire. Lol. God has a different plan I suppose.

On the bright side, I'm getting two brand new FOB. I'm glad at least Gruber stepped up and got those ordered and programmed in no time.

I agree, but Tesla is overextended in every sense of the word. They won't offer low-cost anything, but even if they did they'd screw it up. They need to focus on increasing quality and experience in what exists, what's gotten them to this point. Elon is full of empty promises and thus, so is Tesla. Who knows what tomorrow brings with Tesla...
Yep. And, there are so many people (esp. newer folks) who will believe it based upon hearsay and random crap they throw out there like "million mile". How long do EV main battery packs last before failure (not just manageable degradation)? is an example of such a new person who thinks that packs should last "Forever really".

There seems to be no shortage of such people everyday and maybe an increasing # of people who believe it. It just seems pretty risky from a financial point of view to hold any Tesla once its battery pack warranty is over.

Besides plenty of packs failing under warranty and being replaced, not surprisingly, I keep seeing more and more reports of failures past warranty and thus being socked with a huge bill/estimate.

Reactions: Nujec and Droschke