TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2013 S 85 Charge Port Replacement Tips?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by teslick2, Sep 1, 2019.

1. teslick2

teslick2 Member

Hi all,

The charge port on my 2013 Model S 85 has a few issues and the service center said that the port and door should be replaced. Unfortunately they quoted ~$900 to do the work, whereas used charge ports and doors are about $75 on eBay. It doesn't look like a lot of work, and the port is held in by 4 screws.

Before I dive into this thing, does anyone have experience changing the charge ports on an older Model S? Or any tips they could share?

Thanks!

2. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

You are considering putting your body at risk to replace it where there's HV cables? Wow. I'm old and far from being as useful as I once was and I would NOT consider doing it myself.

• Funny x 2
  3. teslick2

teslick2 Member

Isolating the HV and 12V are pretty simple. After that's done, my biggest risk is cutting my fingers on sharp sheet metal.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Hey teslick2, I wish you well. Will you have your descendant drop into TMC and tell us which action it was that took you?

• Funny x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  5. Saxgod

Saxgod Thread Necromancer

A bit melodramatic don’t you think?

Just because you aren’t capable doesn’t mean he isn’t. He came asking for how not whether he should.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  6. tj1772

tj1772 Member

There is a DIY video on this. I have to find it. It's straight forward. I remember you have to disconnect the battery and the access is behind the liner in the trunk.

7. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

#7 Akikiki, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Sax, old buddy, :) I think teslick2 got the spirit and my meaning better than you did. Just like you assume that I'm not capable because I choose not to risk it.

8. teslick2

teslick2 Member

Thanks! I look forward to seeing what you find.

9. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Supporting Member

Do it yourself. The HV cables arent even hot (check with meter). You'll need to remove your tail light.

10. tj1772

tj1772 Member

11. tj1772

tj1772 Member

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. ebogle19

ebogle19 New Member

I can only fing GEN 2 charge ports on ebay. Can I use the pins on the GEN 2 generation?

13. ebogle19

ebogle19 New Member

I have a non-automatic charge port

14. teslick2

teslick2 Member

Maybe. The pins must be the same shape so the charging cable fits in, but I’m not sure how the pins connect to the actual port on the gen 2.

15. ebogle19

ebogle19 New Member

How can I find the GEN 1 port? I cannot find it. And thank you for the help

16. teslick2

teslick2 Member

17. Vip

Vip Member

So I replaced the charge port on my 2013 Model S. After replacement the car gave 2 errors: Car needs service and car needs software update.
    Has anyone had this issue and if so what did you do to resolve this?
    Thanks

18. Vip

Vip Member

So I had an interesting experience with the replacement.
    As stated before, after I installed the new charging port multiple errors appeared. I could not drive my car or charge it.
    One of the errors that appeared was that a software update was needed.
    Luckily for me I hadn't downloaded the latest OTA update and it was sitting there to be downloaded. (it never downloaded because it wasn't connected to wifi.
    I had the new port in and started downloading the update but the car totally crashed. It messed things up so much that I couldn't get the car started or working. None of the screens would work. At this point I seriously thought my eMMC failed!!!
    I changed the port back to the old one. The car started back up.
    So I decided to download the update with the old port installed.
    Once the download was complete I re-installed the new port. Then I completed the installation of the update.
    Success!!! After the update completed installation it recognized the charge port and everything was working great.
    FYI: I did call Tesla beforehand and they said I could try the current pending download. If that didn't work then I would have to go to the service center for the update. Which surprised me and think it is BS that they can't send the software update OTA.

19. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Yes, you need to redeploy the firmware after the part change. One handy way to do that, as you discovered, is to have a software update staged. :)

• Like x 1
  20. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Wow. @Vip, You were lucky.