Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 S 85 Charge Port Replacement Tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

The charge port on my 2013 Model S 85 has a few issues and the service center said that the port and door should be replaced. Unfortunately they quoted ~$900 to do the work, whereas used charge ports and doors are about $75 on eBay. It doesn't look like a lot of work, and the port is held in by 4 screws.

Before I dive into this thing, does anyone have experience changing the charge ports on an older Model S? Or any tips they could share?

Thanks!

Hi all,

The charge port on my 2013 Model S 85 has a few issues and the service center said that the port and door should be replaced. Unfortunately they quoted ~$900 to do the work, whereas used charge ports and doors are about $75 on eBay. It doesn't look like a lot of work, and the port is held in by 4 screws.

Before I dive into this thing, does anyone have experience changing the charge ports on an older Model S? Or any tips they could share?

Thanks!
There is a DIY video on this. I have to find it. It's straight forward. I remember you have to disconnect the battery and the access is behind the liner in the trunk.

Hi all,

Thanks!
Do it yourself. The HV cables arent even hot (check with meter). You'll need to remove your tail light.

Hi all,

Thanks![/QUOTE
There is a DIY video on this. I have to find it. It's straight forward. I remember you have to disconnect the battery and the access is behind the liner in the trunk.

So I had an interesting experience with the replacement.
As stated before, after I installed the new charging port multiple errors appeared. I could not drive my car or charge it.
One of the errors that appeared was that a software update was needed.
Luckily for me I hadn't downloaded the latest OTA update and it was sitting there to be downloaded. (it never downloaded because it wasn't connected to wifi.
I had the new port in and started downloading the update but the car totally crashed. It messed things up so much that I couldn't get the car started or working. None of the screens would work. At this point I seriously thought my eMMC failed!!!
I changed the port back to the old one. The car started back up.
So I decided to download the update with the old port installed.
Once the download was complete I re-installed the new port. Then I completed the installation of the update.
Success!!! After the update completed installation it recognized the charge port and everything was working great.
FYI: I did call Tesla beforehand and they said I could try the current pending download. If that didn't work then I would have to go to the service center for the update. Which surprised me and think it is BS that they can't send the software update OTA.