Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85 Gets a 2017 facelift using OEM parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I make the gap filler ☺️
Will I need gap filler with the attached list of parts. These parts are purchased to refresh the Model S nose from a 2012 to a 2016 Model S as of July 24, 2021 and I believe this is the most up-to-date comprehensive list. The attached list, together with a custom made striker / latch will complete my order. Do I wait to install all of this before deciding if a filler is needed?

Attachments

• 2012 to 2016 Model S Front Nose Refresh Parts FINAL List.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 239
The guys at the body shop cut the double loop latch, shortened it and welded it back. That is the only modification that needed to be done, for a single motor version, don’t know about dual motor.

The shape of the under tray - valance is different from the pre-facelift bumper. We need to install a new one.
I’m in the Bay Area and looking to get it done. Can you refer me to your shop?

After some research of the prefacelift cone nose Model S, the facelift 2017 Model S and the OEM parts involved I have decided to move forward with the retrofit of the facelift nose onto my cone nose P85.

I will be posting al kinds of info as I discover it into this thread. As of last week, my facelift 2017 bumper is here, the needed parts are on order and will hopefully arrive this week. I have removed my cone front bumper and installed the new bumper. Everything looks great and the hood gap doesn't look bad at all but once the upper grill is here, I will get a better idea.

As expected, the fog lights for both generations are identical and will bolt up with no issues. The old headlights can be retained as they are the same exact shape.

Enough talk, no for pics.

View attachment 215534 View attachment 215535 View attachment 215536 View attachment 215537
Did you have to buy a grill or can you use the existing one?

After some research of the prefacelift cone nose Model S, the facelift 2017 Model S and the OEM parts involved I have decided to move forward with the retrofit of the facelift nose onto my cone nose P85.

I will be posting al kinds of info as I discover it into this thread. As of last week, my facelift 2017 bumper is here, the needed parts are on order and will hopefully arrive this week. I have removed my cone front bumper and installed the new bumper. Everything looks great and the hood gap doesn't look bad at all but once the upper grill is here, I will get a better idea.

As expected, the fog lights for both generations are identical and will bolt up with no issues. The old headlights can be retained as they are the same exact shape.

View attachment 215534 View attachment 215535 View attachment 215536 View attachment 215537
Did you have to buy a grill or can you use the existing one?

Did you have to buy a new grill or reuse the old one?

We / EVFIXME were thinking of putting a Refresh front bumper package for the Tesla community to buy.
Maybe first package will be the refreshed bumper and the second package will be the refreshed bumper and hood.
Hopefully will have it up soon.
have you had any trouble with the hood vibrating at all? I did the refresh hood also but the hood seems to be vibrating at high speeds 70-80

I would make sure the support beams for accidents don't affect anything. Whats interesting and I still think it could be true is that the original X was going to have a nose cone. Although the rear is completely different from when I was researching awhile ago I think the older S and X were very similar. Even the hood, if you have ever noticed that the "T" on the X looks a little weird compared to the S. They also made it larger for a reason and opened the spacing. I vaguely read someone in this post reference it. Also if you look at unplugged performances refresh fascia it is almost identical to the shape of the x bumper minus the inlays. The older S and X are very similar

Best way to compare the previous car is to look on Tesla's website at the current ones they show with the frame off and than search model s pics and you will find a ton of pics of the original S frame off etc. Have the widows side by side to compare. This is where I think you might have issues with the radiator mounts although that is an idea I never thought of. They are many different ways to accomplish this whether you add your own mounting holes in certain areas etc.

Also using the chrome inlays or the housing for them isn't necessary especially if you want to save money or make the bumper look more aftermarket. This is how most aftermarket kits work. Those areas are there for the housing to open to cool the battery. You could use all different types of screens and even take the inlays off and have them in the slots without the housing. The one thing you will notice ans this is why after market body kits didn't try to make it were you had to reapply the parts from the oem bumper to the new. The more stuff you have, housing etc, the better chance you are going to have some rubbing preventing a perfect flush mount. That's why it looks so good before you add all the *sugar* when you first put the new oem bumper on. It seemed like there would be no issues but there are a few and most just require relocation. Even where the chrome inlays are you could find parts from other cars that could potentially work.(1 inlay instead of 2)(1 inlay that also is another light, etc). You just need to shave down the area which makes it for 2 inlays instead of 1. The possibilities are really endless and the easiest parts to fit that matter the most are the sensors etc. As well as moving
I'm not trying to give everything away cause we will be doing this and will be using other parts instead of oem ones that will make it fit better overall and most like it more too cuz it looks like a newer bumper. As long as you have some type of mesh grill etc than you can try all kinds of different ideas, You just want to make sure the battery is able to cool and some larger bugs don't go thru.

Nicola Brussels has basically mastered this as far as creating an ideal oem look. Also to help make the headlight line up perfect and not have a gap you need to drill into the bumper where the bottom of the lights are. This will insure a snug fit since the S has the only lights without clip holes on the bottom unlike the X and 3. If you are having issues with the bottom lights fitting snug look into doing this. This will not apply to everyone but some made need to do this to prevent any gaps etc.

I also may have a really great connection on hoods and bumpers. As well as the v-stripe hardware. I am looking into the hoods and bumpers now I will let you know.

Look at the two pics below, one is unplugged's fascia the other the model x. I f you notice that sporty look unplugged claims is already on the x basically. Using a X "T" is something you should look into even tho they have different screw points. Get out a cutter

I think it's great what you all have accomplished. And hopefully this may help solve some other problems. As far as the lever for the hood just copy what unplugged does. They have instructions on their website. Someone on here basically stated something similar

Also relocate exterior temp sensor if you live in arizona or anywhere hot

Model S - Refresh Front Fascia Installation Manual - Unplugged Performance

View attachment 467818 View attachment 467819 View attachment 467820
Qyestion - how does drilling holes in the bumper under the head light help with the way the bumper lines up? I'm asking because i have a pretty good gap under my left headlight. I'm not sure how to correct this.

I made a guide on how to facelift.
It's not a one-size-fits-all, but it gives a pretty good idea on how to tackle the DIY job.

uHT3LKh.jpg

Those fog light support brackets stumped me for well over an hour .. I'm like "where the hell do these even go?" Also, I just ended up extending the wires for sensors 3 and 4. I could have just purchased the MS2 wiring harness, but then I would have needed to modify the MS1 sensor connectors to the MS2 harness connectors. Also, if doing this, save yourself the headache and just get the MS2 louvers. cutting plastic is an art and I'm not that talented. YMMV

My guide has been updated with AP1 radar relocation. This does require a way to change gw config and Toolbox for calibration.
Just did this facelift again on my new AP1 car and it was smooth sailing. I also extended the wiring for park sensors.

How did you a
Hi everyone,

Just want to add something to this thread to share my experience on the facelift upgrade. I used all my OEM parts and a couple of my weekend to figure this out.

For those of you who want to put a new hood but not sure what to expect on the work, I used a quick and dirty way to make it fit. Just move the old latch to the new hood and adjust the length. The car looks pretty decent even with the old hood but will look much completed with the new hood on.

Here are some pictures of my car (2012 S) with full facelift upgrade done and one with the old hood on.
djust the length? Really could use some help. Thank you.