Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 S85 getting new drive unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in the recent cold snap in New England, I blew a hose in the DU's coolant loop, leaking coolant into the DU and requiring it to be replaced.

My question: How will this new DU compare to the original?

Will it improve speed and/or efficiency? Is it going to be the same non-Performance DU going into newer Model S's?

Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
That's a question for the service center ... if they put in a DU that's been sitting on the parts shelf for a few years there probably won't be a difference. If they give you one that was made a week ago then you might see a difference. Ask the tech that is putting in the new unit if there is a difference in the parts, especially after they pull out the old one.

That's a question for the service center ... if they put in a DU that's been sitting on the parts shelf for a few years there probably won't be a difference. If they give you one that was made a week ago then you might see a difference. Ask the tech that is putting in the new unit if there is a difference in the parts, especially after they pull out the old one.

Yea, I guess I could have worded this better. That was the main question.

But with how quickly they were replacing DU's early on, what are the odds they even have any 2014 DU's sitting around in January 2018?

It should be ready today. I'll see if I can ask a tech.

thanks.

based on history, you'll get the exact part number, likely improved for longevity and quality, with same performance as original. Also very likely to be refurbished (yet improved from your original)

Yes, they are better now. My tests indicate efficiency of 92-93% under WOT for the latest builds.

Does that mean us early 2014 owners get the ones that are "better now"? I just had my DU replaced and these are the parts they replaced. The DU is the same number as the OP:

ASY,PTRAIN,RMN,MDLS,BASE,CMC,HS,FA2+

(1025276-00-Q)
INLET MANIFOLD FITTING O-RING
(1008806-00-A)
INLET MANIFOLD FITTING ASSEMLBY
(1009997-00-B)
NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00-
A)
WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B) 2
ASY,HV COVER,INVERTER (1003783-00-B) 1
SIDE MOTOR MOUNT ASSEMBLY (1028034
-00-B)
ASY,HARN,EPB CONNECTOR COVER
(1030201-00-A)

D9ACD053-01DB-42FC-A2D2-350010E56443.jpeg
Seems you had lite replaced than mine.

2013 P85

From my invoice, emphasis mine:

Concern: Customer states the vehicle is leaking coolant, check and advise
Corrections: Cooling System General Diagnosis Confirmed customer concern, found rear drive unit leaking coolant, requires replacement. Corrections: Upgrade the Side Motor Mount Installed replacement side motor mount with drive unit replacement.

Part Quantity SIDE MOTOR MOUNT ASSEMBLY (1028034 -00-B) 1

Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Drive Unit - Rear - Large Diagnostics show the rear drive unit is not operating as designed. Removed and replaced rear drive unit. Installed latest firmware into vehicle and performed cooling system purge. Performed validation road test, vehicle now operating as designed.

Part Quantity
ASY,PTRAIN,RMN,MDLS,BASE,CMC,HS,FA2+ (1025276-00-Q)
1 WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B)
2 NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00- A)
2 NUT HFPT M12x1.75 [10]-ZnNi (2007063-00-B)

My recollection from having my 2014 S85 DU replaced in late 2015 at about 30,000 miles (it had started making noise at 12,000 but decided to wait until the annual service to get it replaced) is that the Q series or later is what you want.

Mine, a Q series replacement, performed fine and in an abnormal noise-free manner until I get rid of the car ~35,000 miles later.

So unless they’ve regressed, you should be fine with whatever they put in these days.

Actually I have a Q revision drive unit getting scheduled in a month for abnormal noises. I had a '14 Model S and got a drive unit replacement at 26,500 miles in Feb 2016 (where I received a revision -Q DU). I now have 62,000 on the odometer and a different buzzing noise has surfaced. I test drove with a tech an hour ago and he gave me the green light for a DU replacement.

Which is odd because I thought revision Q drive units didn't have these issues anymore o_O

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck and cwerdna
Actually I have a Q revision drive unit getting scheduled in a month for abnormal noises. I had a '14 Model S and got a drive unit replacement at 26,500 miles in Feb 2016 (where I received a revision -Q DU). I now have 62,000 on the odometer and a different buzzing noise has surfaced. I test drove with a tech an hour ago and he gave me the green light for a DU replacement.

Which is odd because I thought revision Q drive units didn't have these issues anymore o_O

We got our DUs at about the same time. And your second one is coming right about when I traded mine in last Spring. Looks like we got an extra 10,000 miles out of the replacement Q series before yer abnormal noises returned. Well, that's a long way off from the million miles Elon wanted, but progress is progress.

Would be curious to know which revision you end up with for DU #3.

We got our DUs at about the same time. And your second one is coming right about when I traded mine in last Spring. Looks like we got an extra 10,000 miles out of the replacement Q series before yer abnormal noises returned. Well, that's a long way off from the million miles Elon wanted, but progress is progress.

Would be curious to know which revision you end up with for DU #3.
Yea true, but the noises weren't the same either. The old one went back more the milling noise, this one just sounds like a distant motorboat at low speeds (2-10 MPH) and buzzes (sounds like power lines) around 20-30 mph.

The people just above me said they got revision Qs so I'll probably get the same. Was hoping for the new drive units going into newer cars. I believe the new ones were DU-01.

*edit*: Tesla upgrades its electric motor on the road to have powertrains lasting 1 million miles

Yep, hoping for the new revision DUs from this past July.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
+1 on new drive unit yesterday. About 20 miles after the service the low coolant warning came on. Wanring progressivly got more persistent and started making a louder fan sound from the front as I headed back to service. Service didn't say what they did to fixed the low coolant but this morning I see there is coolant sprayed all over the front bumper, hood, and fenders. Also still have the loud fan sound from 30-70mph. It's about as loud as the lane departure warning but this varries pitch with speed. Any thoughts on what went wrong?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
From my invoice, emphasis mine:

Concern: Customer states the vehicle is leaking coolant, check and advise
Corrections: Cooling System General Diagnosis Confirmed customer concern, found rear drive unit leaking coolant, requires replacement. Corrections: Upgrade the Side Motor Mount Installed replacement side motor mount with drive unit replacement.

Part Quantity SIDE MOTOR MOUNT ASSEMBLY (1028034 -00-B) 1

Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Drive Unit - Rear - Large Diagnostics show the rear drive unit is not operating as designed. Removed and replaced rear drive unit. Installed latest firmware into vehicle and performed cooling system purge. Performed validation road test, vehicle now operating as designed.

Part Quantity
ASY,PTRAIN,RMN,MDLS,BASE,CMC,HS,FA2+ (1025276-00-Q)
1 WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B)
2 NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00- A)
2 NUT HFPT M12x1.75 [10]-ZnNi (2007063-00-B)

Mine was replaced yesterday for leaking coolant and water. How have things been since yougot the fix?

The tech gave me the impression that this can just happen sometimes/could easily happen again.

Mine was replaced yesterday for leaking coolant and water. How have things been since yougot the fix?

The tech gave me the impression that this can just happen sometimes/could easily happen again.

I got another error message yesterday Fter having my drive unit replaced.

Same error message "Car needs service e, Car may not restart".

This time however, my car had reduced power and could barely drive. It took flooring the pedal to just creep forward.

After parking, my car would would not move out of park into drive.

...what's going on? A 2016 tesla that has twice been incapable of driving.

More details:

After parking and plugging car in, car turned on as normal and had a green message saying performing system check. After a few seconds another message appeared saying unable to drive, contact Tesla service.

Vehicle was towed to Costa Mesa service center last night and I'm expected a Lyft this morning to take me in to the SC.

My concern is that I had a brand new DU replaced just a few months ago and now my car is unable to drive yet again.