Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Tesla shareholders meeting -- reporting as the meeting proceeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry folks, I didn't expect the answer to my question about the two types of PowerWalls to have taken up so much time. But I learned a lot.

I wish you could have asked about where does the software intelligence run? In the Powerwall or in the inverter? Who is going to come out with a compatible inverter first? When will we be able to buy a Powerwall?

Alcantara is synthetic. First-gen seats are available with fabric covering. Leather armrests and dashboard are optional, and the rest of the PI&L package is hardly essential. I may be missing something, but it looks to me like there's already a solution for someone wanting no animal products on show in their Model S.

TBH I don't care much for leather in cars either, but only because I feel it's an inferior material for seats: Sweaty, creasy and wears badly. Beats me why it ever became perceived as a "premium" option in cars.
One problem, though, is that there are options that cannot be selected unless one also chooses leather. This is something that can be fixed very easily.

Model X European reservation holder #85 here.. If Elon says 3-4 months I bet it will be 4 months, not three
That puts us to Oct. 9.
No more Q3, but Q4. So slightly later than prior target.
Even end of Oct would still qualify as 'in 4 months'
when Elon was discussing the Model X launch timeframe, the slide on the screen behind him showed "late Q3 2015". That would be September.

Wasting time with lectures about your pet project is just rude.

Nobody did that.

Lobbing insults on an online forum at people bringing up legitimate issues, however, "is just rude."

- - - Updated - - -

But a new style SC cable doesn't qualify as a "product" to me. I am going to have to go back and watch the meeting again on the webcast, but I also thought that new product announcements were going to be made. Somebody said that from the stage.

The changes to the PowerWall specs (a clear indication that Tesla really listens to feedback) were a "product announcement". Maybe that was it.

He didn't say product, he said product-related.

Alcantara is synthetic. First-gen seats are available with fabric covering. Leather armrests and dashboard are optional, and the rest of the PI&L package is hardly essential. I may be missing something, but it looks to me like there's already a solution for someone wanting no animal products on show in their Model S.

TBH I don't care much for leather in cars either, but only because I feel it's an inferior material for seats: Sweaty, creasy and wears badly. Beats me why it ever became perceived as a "premium" option in cars.

I'd really like to order next gen seats without leather. I'd also like to be able to choose a non leather seat in a color other than black. I do realize Tesla does not owe me this, and I don't think it makes sense for them to not offer leather when the all the rest of the industry does.

Great shareholders meeting. I still don't believe him on autonomous driving. But it is fascinating that they think they are so close.

Model X sounded end of Q3

I agree with you - I don't believe him on autonomous driving either. 3 years? I don't believe it, at least not with the current software engineering approach they have taken. Also do note that he said it would take a lot more redundant hardware, software, and architecture it pull it off. I agree with THAT sentiment.

Model X sounded to me like October - beginning of Q4. Yes, this is another delay, and it sounds like the falcon doors and fancy swivel seats are what is holding it up. Too bad since those are just marketing sizzle in my books. I would buy the Model X without those features if it had true 7 seat adult capacity, increased cargo capacity and towing. But hey, why worry about, you know, actual utility?

One problem, though, is that there are options that cannot be selected unless one also chooses leather. This is something that can be fixed very easily.

Specifically, the next-gen seats and the rest of the PI&L package; I acknowledged both already.

I too would approve of fabric next-gen seats and separating the functional parts of PI&L from the superficial ones, but not at the cost of complicating production in a way that would increase costs.

Ugh. These shareholder meetings are pitiful.

Ladies and gents, this is a shareholder meeting. Questions should be related to the company as it relates to orders, revenue, outlook, gross margin, demand, production ramp up, etc ONLY. Think about how few questions were remotely related to any of these.

I am pretty certain that the PowerWall firmware is in the PowerWall, not in the inverter. The PowerWall will likely work with a variety of inverters, and they are not made by Tesla.

There is no inverter on the market today that works with the backup power Powerwall. Such an inverter, in a grid down situation, must trip off an automatic transfer switch, and then match the solar panel/Powerwall power to the backup electrical panel load. There are inverters that can do with with lead acid batteries running at 48v in a different connection architecture, but not with the 350V Powerwall.

There is no inverter on the market today that works with the backup power Powerwall. Such an inverter, in a grid down situation, must trip off an automatic transfer switch, and then match the solar panel/Powerwall power to the backup electrical panel load. There are inverters that can do with with lead acid batteries running at 48v in a different connection architecture, but not with the 350V Powerwall.

SolarEdge Announces Collaboration with Tesla Motors to Offer Distributed PV Storage Solutions

Is that what you are looking for?

Happy Tuesday!

I meant shipping. "On the market today" generally means something you can buy, not something that has only been announced. This sub thread all started when I said of ecarfan: "I wish you could have asked about where does the software intelligence run? In the Powerwall or in the inverter? Who is going to come out with a compatible inverter first? When will we be able to buy a Powerwall?". These questions are all still outstanding (ie. we don't know the answers to them yet).

- - - Updated - - -

Any pictures of the new supercharger cables? Also size comparison?

Yes, here: Supercharger - Mountain View, CA - Page 10

A ploy...to get valid concerns heard at the highest level available to shareholders, when the whole point of a shareholders' meeting is for that to happen?! GASP!

Yes, perceived as a ploy. Not critical future company stuff. Prioritize.

Ugh. These shareholder meetings are pitiful.

Ladies and gents, this is a shareholder meeting. Questions should be related to the company as it relates to orders, revenue, outlook, gross margin, demand, production ramp up, etc ONLY. Think about how few questions were remotely related to any of these.
Would love more details about that new company still trying to survive stuff! Tesla's a long way from being out of the woods. Focus on critical things.

Any pictures of the new supercharger cables? Also size comparison?

The new cable is very thin. Like the UMC cable size now.

cable1.png

Last edited: