Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I guess it would "just" be the $2,500 deposit plus the $1,200 referral fee and maybe $300 net increase. What adds to the frustration is that I was planning on ordering online, but my DS said they had an "inventory" model that was ready to go. So had I just ordered online, I would have probably been fine. As it stands, I can pick up the inventory "classic" tomorrow or cancel, lose about $4k and two months and start over.

So I am supposed to pick up my "Classic" new model S tomorrow. Should I cancel, lose my $2,500 deposit, $1,200 referral fee,and &1,500 lower price and re-order so I can get the new front end and color keyed (instead of black) side molding? Personally I expects more changes.

Uhh, I wouldn't... unless you ABSOLUTELY love the new face and think it's worth several thousand dollars... This is a very minor refresh. All the important things about the car (battery and tech) haven't changed... I like the old face much more than mouth-less look. Sure LED lamps are better but I would call these two a wash at best... So it's totally a matter of personal taste.

I would feel pretty much indifferent if I were taking a delivery of an old version vs this new version.

At Tesla, we are relentlessly committed to making product improvements. Model S and Model X are unique in how much they get better over time, even after you buy them.

In this spirit, the Model S nose and headlights have been changed to be similar to the Model X. Because you have already placed your order, these will be applied to your Model S at no additional cost to you.

Your Model S delivery is on track and will not be impacted by these updates. Welcome to Model S – we know you're going to love it.

If you have any questions, please contact us by phone at 888-518-3752 or by email at [email protected].
Tesla Motors | 3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304
Privacy Policy |

Last edited:
So I guess it would "just" be the $2,500 deposit plus the $1,200 referral fee and maybe $300 net increase. What adds to the frustration is that I was planning on ordering online, but my DS said they had an "inventory" model that was ready to go. So had I just ordered online, I would have probably been fine. As it stands, I can pick up the inventory "classic" tomorrow or cancel, lose about $4k and two months and start over.

I was wrong. It is 1500 more. Sorry about your timing. I bought mine 2 months ago and missed out on some fun stuff by 2 weeks. The new wheels, center console, charging rebate.

Either way you will love your Model S. I wouldn't trade the last two months for any new refresh. I love my car like a family member.

If I were in your shoes I would go ahead and take the hit and pay the extra if you can afford to because I couldn't change anything but you have the chance to be one of the first owners of Model S v2

My early 2013 has no creases and it's been opened and closed hundreds of times.
And yet you've said you have closed it at least 2000 times using the two palm method that Tesla now specifically recommends against. It's almost like there's some other factor at play that malcolm was wondering may be fixed in the redesign. I'm curious too, but we probably won't find out until people start taking deliveries... it's not press-release-worthy.

I really like the front end. Someone nailed it in a mockup a month or so ago, it looks almost identical. I also like the elimination of the black side sills... mine seem to discolor for some reason. I don't really like the new rear bumper, though. It looks a lot more bland. Pretty minor update, overall. I think many were hoping for something more radical.

Don't take my word written in stone, but it seems if you have your Model S on order and it has NOT entered production until today, you will receive the changes for no extra cost to you.

oh man... i have a config in option.. what i noticed in My Tesla is does show the nosecone and not the facelift.

confusing...

how did this previously been handled during upgraded model?

Someone nailed it in a mockup a month or so ago, it looks almost identical.
You might be referring to a different image, but if you're referring to the white one that's been used in a lot of news articles, etc. - I remember when that one was photoshopped by a user on reddit. It was the night of the Model X delivery event (end of September). Someone asked "I wonder what a Model S would look like with that front?" A few minutes later, the user posted it with "ask and you shall receive" or something like that. I posted it here (with attribution) but since then I've seen it used everywhere. I've always wondered what the original Photoshopper thought when he/she saw it.

Reactions: Gizmotoy
I believe that's some sort of typo? In my region (Hong Kong) there's no automatic liftgate on the standard equipment list, but I do see if it on the US page.
Wouldn't be the first time there was an error, or an inconsistency between pages, on a refreshed order page in the Tesla web site. That stuff will get sorted out quickly as people call/email with questions to their sales people or DS...

Rear doesn't look much different to me. I didn't see any difference at first. On looking more closely, it seems they removed the chrome thingy at the bottom. Removing that probably reduces cost and also reduces chance for damage (I've seem some pics where curbs have eaten a few of those lower chrome thingies).

You might be referring to a different image, but if you're referring to the white one that's been used in a lot of news articles, etc. - I remember when that one was photoshopped by a user on reddit. It was the night of the Model X delivery event (end of September). Someone asked "I wonder what a Model S would look like with that front?" A few minutes later, the user posted it with "ask and you shall receive" or something like that. I posted it here (with attribution) but since then I've seen it used everywhere. I've always wondered what the original Photoshopper thought when he/she saw it.
That was probably it, then. It was white. I didn't think it'd been that long already, time goes so fast. Ended up being ridiculously accurate, though.

Also received the "Order in queue? Goodies at no cost to you!" message. Pumped about that.

Curious to know if the options I'd ordered carry over to the new options as well. (i.e., Premium interior/upgrades specifically) / adaptive LED, etc.

At Tesla, we are relentlessly committed to making product improvements. Model S and Model X are unique in how much they get better over time, even after you buy them.

In this spirit, the Model S nose and headlights have been changed to be similar to the Model X. Because you have already placed your order, these will be applied to your Model S at no additional cost to you.

Your Model S delivery is on track and will not be impacted by these updates. Welcome to Model S – we know you're going to love it.

If you have any questions, please contact us by phone at 888-518-3752 or by email at [email protected].
Tesla Motors | 3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304
Privacy Policy |
Notice how they didn't mention whether you get bio weapon defense mode (hepa filter and active carbon filters).... Wonder if they aren't including that.

Just got a call from my DS. She said I will be getting the new front end & LED lights but she is unsure if the old "premium" package would upgrade to the new premium package (bio-weapon HEPA filter, adaptive lights, etc.). She was also unsure about the 48A charger. She's looking into it and will call me back.