Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 s75 out of warranty costs - be warned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure repair parts are only 12mo or the original warranty period whichever comes first. Once you modify your car IN ANY WAY you are in an adversarial relationship with tesla

Out of warranty MCUs come with a 4-year warranty: Vehicle Warranty

The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods:

• Sheet metal: Limited lifetime
  • Drive Unit: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Vehicle High Voltage Battery: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Wall Connectors: 4 years
  • Touchscreen and microcontroller unit: 4 years
For details, please review the Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty.

If the factory warranty expires 1K miles when you have the part replaced, you get 12 months.

Not with their current warranty: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Parts repaired or replaced, including replacement of the vehicle, under this New Vehicle Limited Warranty are covered only until the applicable warranty period of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty ends, or as otherwise provided by applicable law.

I think that is the worst warranty I have seen. So if your get a part replaced on the last day of your warranty coverage and it fails the next day you're screwed.

I swear older versions of the warranty had a different clause, but I still don't think it was 12 months. (I checked the WaybackMachine and the oldest it has is March of 2019 and it was like this then.)

My car is a nov 2016 delivery, first of the AP2 Hardware cars delivered.

In June 2019 I had steering wheel controls replaced as there was no functions on steering wheel and horn did not work
they replaced the stalk controls, replaced under warranty
In Nov of 2019 same issue and they replaced the actual steering wheel controls (both sides) this was the first out of warranty repair
within 45 days the same problem recurs and i set up an appointment 45 day wait canceled twice on me. While I am waiting for this appointment the main screen dies!
Estimate sent to me was over $4000 ($1800 for the REFURB screen/MCU alone)

If this is the way this car holds up I am definitely moving on when the I4 arrives

I hate to keep bringing this up, but nearly EVERYONE should be buying this within a month of their regular warranty expiration, if they don't do it at the six-month point; it's a no-brainer, no?

Extended Service Agreement

I hate to keep bringing this up, but nearly EVERYONE should be buying this within a month of their regular warranty expiration, if they don't do it at the six-month point; it's a no-brainer, no?

Extended Service Agreement

Far from a no-brainer - anyone interested in making a statistically sound investment decision should run away from the ESA as fast as they can and self-insure against repairs with the $4,750 in a savings account. You’re not guaranteed to come out ahead, but odds are you will.

Got the car back today, $2200 as they covered the previously broken warranty parts, They damaged the steering wheel replacing the steering wheel controls so they replaced that as well (no charge) didnt even get asked about the MCU upgrade.... assuming I got the crap MCU1 as everything is slow and sucky. invoice says re-manufactured MCU so didnt even get a NEW MCU for my $2200. Oh, and was without the car for over a week when they promised 2 days.

Never felt more ripped off about a car repair than this.....

$2200 for a brand new steering wheel and new MCU with 4 year unlimited mile warranty. Feeling ripped off, ready for the welcoming arms of BMW and their bullet-proof reliability and notoriously affordable out of warranty carrying costs.

o_O

Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt my friend.

Far from a no-brainer - anyone interested in making a statistically sound investment decision should run away from the ESA as fast as they can and self-insure against repairs with the $4,750 in a savings account. You’re not guaranteed to come out ahead, but odds are you will.

I think the evidence is certainly clear in this case--this thread would not exist if the OP had purchased the ESA.

Either way it's win:

1. OP purchases ESA and suffers failures post-warranty. Good news, his repairs are covered for another 4 years or 50k miles, and Tesla learns to do more rigorous testing and quality control.

2. OP purchases ESA and NOTHING fails post-warranty. Tesla pockets a bit over $4k and invests it in the production of more EV vehicles which will help us have a usable planet . . . or do you have a spare planet somewhere that you're not telling us about?

Think globally; act locally.

Buying the ESA is a no-brainer (unless you are profoundly selfish and short-sighted)!

I am a new Tesla Model S owner (took delivery of my Long Range Model S last month), and I'm reading about the Tesla ESA with interest. Since I'm in the first 180 days of ownership, it looks like the 4-year ESA would cost me $4250. From reading the "fine print," I see that this warranty is cancellable at any time, and I can receive a "prorated refund, based on your claims history."

So if I do buy the warranty now, and decide in 3.5 years that I want to trade in or sell the car, does this mean I would get a full refund at that point, since I wouldn't have used the ESA at all? And if that's true, it seems to me that I don't have much to lose by going ahead and buying the warranty at the 6-month point and then making the final decision on whether to keep it or not right before it kicks in at the 4-year point (other than having $4250 given to Tesla as a "free loan" for 3.5 years). In 4 years, I should have a better sight picture on how reliable my Model S has been (and the 2020 Model S in general), and would be in a better position to evaluate whether this ESA is worthwhile or not.

Am I missing anything in this logic?

I am a new Tesla Model S owner (took delivery of my Long Range Model S last month), and I'm reading about the Tesla ESA with interest. Since I'm in the first 180 days of ownership, it looks like the 4-year ESA would cost me $4250. From reading the "fine print," I see that this warranty is cancellable at any time, and I can receive a "prorated refund, based on your claims history."

So if I do buy the warranty now, and decide in 3.5 years that I want to trade in or sell the car, does this mean I would get a full refund at that point, since I wouldn't have used the ESA at all? And if that's true, it seems to me that I don't have much to lose by going ahead and buying the warranty at the 6-month point and then making the final decision on whether to keep it or not right before it kicks in at the 4-year point (other than having $4250 given to Tesla as a "free loan" for 3.5 years). In 4 years, I should have a better sight picture on how reliable my Model S has been (and the 2020 Model S in general), and would be in a better position to evaluate whether this ESA is worthwhile or not.

That’s right. I bought my ESA with the discount based on that logic.

• Love
Reactions: TSLA Pilot

Get it. I was on the fence. Completely paid for itself within 6 months of original warranty expiring. The days of “goodwill” repairs are gone.

I'll definitely want to wait until I get closer to the 180 day mark to purchase, as I want to minimize the time I'm giving Tesla this "no-interest loan," but it does seem wise to go ahead and buy now and then re-evaluate when I get close to the 4-year point.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
So if I do buy the warranty now, and decide in 3.5 years that I want to trade in or sell the car, does this mean I would get a full refund at that point, since I wouldn't have used the ESA at all?

EDIT: I misunderstood your intent - thanks @MP3Mike for correcting me

Yes, your understanding is fundamentally flawed. The amount of your refund will be prorated based on time and mileage, not just your claims history.

If you’ve used 7/8ths of the time or mileage coverage when you seek a refund (as in the case of canceling the policy at 3.5 years), the MAX you’ll get back is 1/8 the price you paid. If you’ve also had any claims in those first 3.5 years, the amount of those claims will first be deducted from the refund.

Last edited:
I think the evidence is certainly clear in this case--this thread would not exist if the OP had purchased the ESA.

Either way it's win:

1. OP purchases ESA and suffers failures post-warranty. Good news, his repairs are covered for another 4 years or 50k miles, and Tesla learns to do more rigorous testing and quality control.

2. OP purchases ESA and NOTHING fails post-warranty. Tesla pockets a bit over $4k and invests it in the production of more EV vehicles which will help us have a usable planet . . . or do you have a spare planet somewhere that you're not telling us about?

Think globally; act locally.

Buying the ESA is a no-brainer (unless you are profoundly selfish and short-sighted)!
I make my donations to actual charities - not for-profit companies. To suggest giving Tesla an unnecessary $4,000 is “win-win” is crazy brainwashed.

Yes, your understanding is fundamentally flawed. The amount of your refund will be prorated based on time and mileage, not just your claims history.

If you’ve used 7/8ths of the time or mileage coverage when you seek a refund (as in the case of canceling the policy at 3.5 years), the MAX you’ll get back is 1/8 the price you paid. If you’ve also had any claims in those first 3.5 years, the amount of those claims will first be deducted from the refund.

I think you missed his point. He is buying the ESA when the car is less than 6 months old, and if he cancels the ESA before the New Car Warranty expires he will have used none of the ESA and should get a full refund.

I make my donations to actual charities - not for-profit companies. To suggest giving Tesla an unnecessary $4,000 is “win-win” is crazy brainwashed.

Yes, and so MANY charities have been stunningly successful in populating the planet with EV's, arguably the most important task that we must accomplish if we are to have a usable planet in the years ahead . . . .

Perhaps you fail to grasp the threat we face. Frankly, it's the only explanation as to why you hold such interesting thoughts in your head. Thus, you're overdue to get informed; start here:

climate.nasa.gov

News | Huge Cavity in Antarctic Glacier Signals Rapid Decay

About the size of Florida, Thwaites Glacier is currently responsible for approximately 4 percent of global sea level rise. It holds enough ice to raise the world ocean a little over 2 feet (65 centimeters) and backstops neighboring glaciers that would raise sea levels an additional 8 feet (2.4 meters) if all the ice were lost.
[truncated]

And so many more. Just FYI: If you read some decent newspapers, which we should all be doing, you would know this and act/think accordingly.

TL;DR: Buying the ESA is a very good thing, and on many levels, to include helping mitigate planetary-scale risks to our only planet.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
I think you missed his point. He is buying the ESA when the car is less than 6 months old, and if he cancels the ESA before the New Car Warranty expires he will have used none of the ESA and should get a full refund.

And this is pretty dumb from a financial standpoint.

Unless you're into giving interest free loans, that money would be much better spent on a 401k/IRA, mutual funds, or the stonk market.

Yes, and so MANY charities have been stunningly successful in populating the planet with EV's, arguably the most important task that we must accomplish if we are to have a usable planet in the years ahead . . . .

Perhaps you fail to grasp the threat we face. Frankly, it's the only explanation as to why you hold such interesting thoughts in your head. Thus, you're overdue to get informed; start here:

climate.nasa.gov

News | Huge Cavity in Antarctic Glacier Signals Rapid Decay

About the size of Florida, Thwaites Glacier is currently responsible for approximately 4 percent of global sea level rise. It holds enough ice to raise the world ocean a little over 2 feet (65 centimeters) and backstops neighboring glaciers that would raise sea levels an additional 8 feet (2.4 meters) if all the ice were lost.
[truncated]

And so many more. Just FYI: If you read some decent newspapers, which we should all be doing, you would know this and act/think accordingly.

TL;DR: Buying the ESA is a very good thing, and on many levels, to include helping mitigate planetary-scale risks to our only planet.

Manufacturing of luxury cars won't save the planet.

Reactions: SilverGS and ucmndd
Yes, what MP3Mike said is right. By buying the ESA at the 6-month point, I'd only be out the interest I could have earned on that $4250 over 3.5 years. That's all I would be risking by buying at that point, and in exchange I would be reserving the opportunity to decide later if I'd like to keep the ESA in effect after my original warranty runs out. Not too high of a cost, and if the Raven Model S's turn out to be highly reliable with few failure points, I could just cancel the warranty and get all $4250 back.

Note that I will likely only be driving this car 7-8k miles per year, and tend to baby my cars to the extreme. I will likely never drive the car in the snow or rain (I have a truck for those times). So in all likelihood, I probably won't really need an ESA on this car, but it's nice to know I have one if it seems necessary...

Part of the decision for me was peace of mind. Same as non-compulsory insurance. What’s it worth? For more risk-adverse people there is a higher value for peace of mind and for others, perhaps less. I bought the ESA at the end of my first six months of ownership to get the discounted price, have coverage for expensive repairs if needed, have the option of a prorated refund, and to not suffer the regret of “should have done it” if expensive repairs are still common at the end of my factory warranty. Cost of money based on current CD rates adds up to about $250 over 4 years - not much of a factor in the decision and basically covered by the discount. Others may be willing to take more of a risk or don’t want to buy an ESA because they view it as a free loan to Tesla, but after weighing the pros and cons, my choice was to buy it.

Reactions: SilverGS
Not with their current warranty: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

I think that is the worst warranty I have seen. So if your get a part replaced on the last day of your warranty coverage and it fails the next day you're screwed.

But if you get the part replaced out of warranty there's no warranty at all? I don't believe that for a second.

I believe this is a misinterpretation, and rightfully so given the wording. The replacement warranty is an entirely separate warranty that has it's own duration. This is just saying the original warranty doesn't cover the replacement part after it expires.

Last edited: