Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 s75 out of warranty costs - be warned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But if you get the part replaced out of warranty there's no warranty at all? I don't believe that for a second.

I believe this is a misinterpretation, and rightfully so given the wording. The replacement warranty is an entirely separate warranty that has it's own duration. This is just saying the original warranty doesn't cover the replacement part after it expires.

This should clear things up.

Vehicle Warranty

"The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months."

Replacement parts have a limited warranty that is entirely separate from a "new vehicle" warranty.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
Yes, and so MANY charities have been stunningly successful in populating the planet with EV's, arguably the most important task that we must accomplish if we are to have a usable planet in the years ahead . . . .

Perhaps you fail to grasp the threat we face. Frankly, it's the only explanation as to why you hold such interesting thoughts in your head. Thus, you're overdue to get informed; start here:

climate.nasa.gov

News | Huge Cavity in Antarctic Glacier Signals Rapid Decay

About the size of Florida, Thwaites Glacier is currently responsible for approximately 4 percent of global sea level rise. It holds enough ice to raise the world ocean a little over 2 feet (65 centimeters) and backstops neighboring glaciers that would raise sea levels an additional 8 feet (2.4 meters) if all the ice were lost.
[truncated]

And so many more. Just FYI: If you read some decent newspapers, which we should all be doing, you would know this and act/think accordingly.

TL;DR: Buying the ESA is a very good thing, and on many levels, to include helping mitigate planetary-scale risks to our only planet.
I don't understand why you have to chime in on practically every single thread and then promptly turn them into an argument about saving the planet and then insulting everyone that disagrees with your view point...................

My car is a nov 2016 delivery, first of the AP2 Hardware cars delivered.

In June 2019 I had steering wheel controls replaced as there was no functions on steering wheel and horn did not work
they replaced the stalk controls, replaced under warranty
In Nov of 2019 same issue and they replaced the actual steering wheel controls (both sides) this was the first out of warranty repair
within 45 days the same problem recurs and i set up an appointment 45 day wait canceled twice on me. While I am waiting for this appointment the main screen dies!
Estimate sent to me was over $4000 ($1800 for the REFURB screen/MCU alone)

If this is the way this car holds up I am definitely moving on when the I4 arrives

Pre-existing condition from during warranty. Should be covered, or good willed as it was obviously not taken care of the first few times properly. That's been my experience with other luxury cars, IE Audi, and I would hope Tesla as well.

Yet another reason I hate keeping a car once it passes warranty.

At this point I will take BMW lies over Tesla lies, and BMW is a CAR company so yes they will build higher quality cars than tesla.

I neglected to mention that my car was delivered with a MASSIVE trunk leak that required replacement of the entire rear carpet and insulation, Oh and then there was the replacement of the motor AND Axles at 43 K. My 2002tii M3, and 330i all were going strong at 250K plus, (and sadly I thought that switching to Tesla electric would SAVE maintinance $$$)
stick with the 2002. I4 seems like junk.
or a P3 with good suspension

Reactions: Altes
$2200 for a brand new steering wheel and new MCU with 4 year unlimited mile warranty. Feeling ripped off, ready for the welcoming arms of BMW and their bullet-proof reliability and notoriously affordable out of warranty carrying costs.

o_O

Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt my friend.

Show me where there is a 4 year unlimited warranty on the replacement MCU....its one year per the documentation on out of warranty replacement on non drivetrain/battery.
And the warranty waiver they had me sign BEFORE THEY WOULD EVEN TOUCH THE CAR makes it nigh impossible to go back no matter when it fails (BTW BMW has NEVER pulled that *sugar*), dont work WITH the customer deny deny deny
1. Why did the MCU fail? Well its because tesla built into their business model the value of logging as much data as possible with the hope that it would be incredibly valuable in an acquisition (which is elons goal). then they realized it would soon bork the MCU memory failing the entire system, but wait, they only have to last 4 years!!! Then the customer pays!!!!! Bonus...blame the customer for installing a decent car stereo (because the one they put in is possibly from a 1985 honda), now you are absolved of all responsibility or at least defer it to an army of legal folk who would just love to bankrupt any challengers
2. Brand new steering wheel? yeah full credit to the service manager for replacing that rather than claiming it was "previous damage" but really dont claim brand new steering wheel is a bonus because they damaged the original.

But if you get the part replaced out of warranty there's no warranty at all? I don't believe that for a second.

I believe this is a misinterpretation, and rightfully so given the wording. The replacement warranty is an entirely separate warranty that has it's own duration. This is just saying the original warranty doesn't cover the replacement part after it expires.

I never said that. I was only talking about a part replaced under the original vehicle warranty.

This should clear things up.

Vehicle Warranty

"The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months."

Replacement parts have a limited warranty that is entirely separate from a "new vehicle" warranty.

You are confusing two different warranties. You will notice that is says the warranty begins on the purchase date of the part. A part replaced under warranty wasn't purchased, so it isn't covered under the "The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty".

If you buy a part out of warranty it has it's own warranty period that varies depending on the type of part it is. If you have a part replaced under the original car warranty it is only warrantied for as long as your original car warranty is in effect. (It doesn't get extended even a single day past the original car warranty.)

And this is pretty dumb from a financial standpoint.

Unless you're into giving interest free loans, that money would be much better spent on a 401k/IRA, mutual funds, or the stonk market.

Yes, finances are ALL that matters. Period.

No one should purchase an ESA for either the warranty coverage for an additional 4 years, nor for peace of mind.

No one should purchase an ESA to help Tesla, on the off chance that your Tesla has ZERO issues in years four through eight.

And no one should give a damn about Tesla's future and its impact on our only planet's future, as I have been told by others on this thread . . . these links are just a stupid waste of time; please ignore them completely and never buy a Tesla ESA/s/:

Scientific Consensus | Facts – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

A warming Arctic could cost the world trillions of dollars

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology."
--Carl Sagan

I never said that. I was only talking about a part replaced under the original vehicle warranty.

You are confusing two different warranties. You will notice that is says the warranty begins on the purchase date of the part. A part replaced under warranty wasn't purchased, so it isn't covered under the "The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty".

If you buy a part out of warranty it has it's own warranty period that varies depending on the type of part it is. If you have a part replaced under the original car warranty it is only warrantied for as long as your original car warranty is in effect. (It doesn't get extended even a single day past the original car warranty.)

I think the only thing we agree on is they are two different warranties.

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr and MP3Mike
  • Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr and MP3Mike
Part of the decision for me was peace of mind. Same as non-compulsory insurance. What’s it worth? For more risk-adverse people there is a higher value for peace of mind and for others, perhaps less. I bought the ESA at the end of my first six months of ownership to get the discounted price, have coverage for expensive repairs if needed, have the option of a prorated refund, and to not suffer the regret of “should have done it” if expensive repairs are still common at the end of my factory warranty. Cost of money based on current CD rates adds up to about $250 over 4 years - not much of a factor in the decision and basically covered by the discount. Others may be willing to take more of a risk or don’t want to buy an ESA because they view it as a free loan to Tesla, but after weighing the pros and cons, my choice was to buy it.

I also view it as a sales hedge. Intended to keep my MS longer, but hard to know what life looks like in 6 or 8 years. It will be way easier to sell that 6-7-8 year old car with several years of ESA. Even with 6 months of ESA remaining, it would give a buyer the confidence they could get any major issues resolved.

Reactions: Chaserr and EVortex
says who? Scientology? King Vladimir?

seems like you are choosing for everyone else

Well, perhaps just those that care?

I'd encourage you to cease posting replies out-of-context; it makes for incomplete understanding and that's the very last thing we need these days.

“We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.”
--Carl Sagan

Yes, finances are ALL that matters. Period.

No one should purchase an ESA for either the warranty coverage for an additional 4 years, nor for peace of mind.

No one should purchase an ESA to help Tesla, on the off chance that your Tesla has ZERO issues in years four through eight.

And no one should give a damn about Tesla's future and its impact on our only planet's future, as I have been told by others on this thread . . . these links are just a stupid waste of time; please ignore them completely and never buy a Tesla ESA/s/:

Scientific Consensus | Facts – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

A warming Arctic could cost the world trillions of dollars

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology."
--Carl Sagan
I want Tesla to succeed, too - for lots of reasons including helping to reduce carbon emissions.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I think the only thing we agree on is they are two different warranties.

Is that because you ignore the plain English in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty?

Warranty on Replaced Parts.png

As a many-year BMW owner, I strongly recommend you consider your sample size in your comparisons.

My experience is the opposite, after too many BMW's to count, we avoid the brand completely now.

It's interesting, I have owned 5 from early 70's to 2006 including a 2002tii,M3, M5. I found them to be one of the few cars that were reliable and also you could pretty much fix them yourself. BMW fundamentally changed their business model from a 20 year car to a 4 year car. by that I mean they decided they would sell more cars if they offered 4 years free maintenance. then altered their service intervals to basically not service the car for 4 years (seriously kids no sparkplug in the WORLD will last 100K miles!!)
I got tired of that and then when i drove the tesla i was pretty much sold, what I didnt count on was the really simple stuff failing, like a simple MCU which is less powerful than a laptop that lasts 5 times longer,is at least twice as fast and costs $1000 less

I've had a lot of issues with mine. Car is a facelift 2016 with 65k miles. Most recently I am having issues plugging the car in and taking it out (the pin is slow to respond and the light doesn't turn on). Last time I brought the car in I was charged $3,000 for the onboard charge unit without approval from me to do the repair. This didn't even fix my issue so I brought it in again and they wanted another $600 for a different part and said that repair wouldn't guarantee it would be fixed. I wish there was another car I could move on to but I hate the idea of another gas car. Just waiting for my MCU to give out.