Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.42.1 94435ee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you not have a good wifi signal? If the car can set up the VPN (it can login to the mothership), it should be fine. And wifi should be better than LTE. How strong does your wifi look on the MCU’s wifi signal indicator?

Charging shouldn’t be relevant. I have mine changing all the time as needed. Used to have an Apple AirPort Extreme for the whole house,’had a good signal in the garage, now have two Netgear Orbi’s to have a satellite closer and also to have the car on a guest network.
I have very little wifi signal in the garage because of the distance, it's currently very difficult for me to stretch the router any closer to the car without getting under the house and moving the router to some awkward location. I do have a sort of older Apple Airport Extreme but it doesn't do all that well with AT&T when I use it as a wifi extender, possibly because it gets N/V but not G (again, I'm probably not describing this correctly), but I know it's one less than I currently can get through my router..

If any of you have tips, please let me know. I thought about logging in directly to the router (sorry if I'm describing this wrong) and then fix the IP address of the airport so it doesn't get randomly assigned addresses, and then perhaps creating a guest network from the wifi, would this work?

I have very little wifi signal in the garage because of the distance, it's currently very difficult for me to stretch the router any closer to the car without getting under the house and moving the router to some awkward location. I do have a sort of older Apple Airport Extreme but it doesn't do all that well with AT&T when I use it as a wifi extender, possibly because it gets N/V but not G (again, I'm probably not describing this correctly), but I know it's one less than I currently can get through my router..

If any of you have tips, please let me know. I thought about logging in directly to the router (sorry if I'm describing this wrong) and then fix the IP address of the airport so it doesn't get randomly assigned addresses, and then perhaps creating a guest network from the wifi, would this work?

Going hang out near a local service center. Your car should auto connect to their wifi and it prioritizes updates. I went in for an appointment and within 15 minutes I got a notification.

Going hang out near a local service center. Your car should auto connect to their wifi and it prioritizes updates. I went in for an appointment and within 15 minutes I got a notification.

Oh, I've done this more than is considered "socially appropriate" and besides creeping out the service center employees and making nervous eye contact with passerby's, it's probably not the best idea. I decided to post on this thread to find out how to just extend my wifi before I end up ticketed for loitering.

Oh, I've done this more than is considered "socially appropriate" and besides creeping out the service center employees and making nervous eye contact with passerby's, it's probably not the best idea. I decided to post on this thread to find out how to just extend my wifi before I end up ticketed for loitering.
If you can it is best to run an ethernet cable to a location near the garage instead of an Extender. Or if that is not possible maybe switch to a MESH System. The cheapest and works well is Google WiFi but it works best if one of the three can be the main router. Like if you have CABLE get a CABLE MODEM and Google Wifi. But there is also other MESH Options. Mainly about MESH is your multiple devices work as one to spread the wifi and they will use only one SSID. If that is not a option you could try an extender. Normal extenders will cut your wifi in half. Lastly I did a speed test in my car browser and my speed was pretty slow but that could simply be the browser.

• Helpful
Reactions: buttershrimp
If you can it is best to run an ethernet cable to a location near the garage instead of an Extender. Or if that is not possible maybe switch to a MESH System. The cheapest and works well is Google WiFi but it works best if one of the three can be the main router. Like if you have CABLE get a CABLE MODEM and Google Wifi. But there is also other MESH Options. Mainly about MESH is your multiple devices work as one to spread the wifi and they will use only one SSID. If that is not a option you could try an extender. Normal extenders will cut your wifi in half. Lastly I did a speed test in my car browser and my speed was pretty slow but that could simply be the browser.
If you were going to do this, would you just move the router into the garage? If it is a separate building? I might be able to make that work, but the other issue is how to best get a wireless network to run from there since everytime I plug an ethernet cable to my airport extreme to amplify the network, it ends up screwing everything up, likely as some security measure or some error due to IP address assignments.

Has anyone that experienced power steering failure with the .38 or .40 updates done the 42.1 update? If so, did power steering survive the update?

Tia
I received 42.1 today at the SC. My car was towed there this weekend. Everything works again.

For those that didn’t get all of the details, I lost power steering, park assist, all FWD control, and electronic locks to fold or unfold second and third row seats.

This update appears to have fixed all of it

Highly recommend Netgear Orbi as a replacement for Apple AirPort Extreme. You put one near the router and the second near the garage (doesn’t have to be that near) and you then have strong wifi on that floor/near the garage.

It also lets you have a guest network and also in bridge mode if you need that. If you don’t know what that is, never mind, but many mesh devices won’t do guest networks in bridge mode.

For security it’s good to have things that don’t need access to your internal network but only need to get to the Internet, on a guest network. This includes things like TVs, thermostats, the car, etc.

If you were going to do this, would you just move the router into the garage? If it is a separate building? I might be able to make that work, but the other issue is how to best get a wireless network to run from there since everytime I plug an ethernet cable to my airport extreme to amplify the network, it ends up screwing everything up, likely as some security measure or some error due to IP address assignments.
If you are getting a signal but it is weak, you might try orienting the car differently. The antenna for the wifi is located in the passenger mirror. If the passenger side is away from your wifi source, that means you have the car between the source and the antenna -- try reversing the car. Also, the antenna does not pick up as well if the source is above the antenna..

• Informative
Reactions: DriveMe
I agree that an extender is normally not the best option. In this case, it is simple, and speed is not really important unless you also want to watch videos on your laptop in the garage. Simply downloading firmware updates doesn't require speed,

I use this one. Cheap and simple and it has always worked.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0195Y0A42/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you are getting a signal but it is weak, you might try orienting the car differently. The antenna for the wifi is located in the passenger mirror. If the passenger side is away from your wifi source, that means you have the car between the source and the antenna -- try reversing the car. Also, the antenna does not pick up as well if the source is above the antenna..
And something easy to try here that I did before upgrading my WiFi was just folding and informing my mirrors to see if that 90 degree change in position did anything to signal strength. Might be surprising.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: BerTX and vandacca
And something easy to try here that I did before upgrading my WiFi was just folding and informing my mirrors to see if that 90 degree change in position did anything to signal strength. Might be surprising.
I had some luck with that method, parking the car differently and leaving garage door open and playing with folding and unfolding mirrors. I will say, I think I am fix this issue with an extension a cable to the router... what is the type of cable that is needed to extended the signal from the drop and under the house to the router? It’s not an Ethernet cable but I forget the other name... perhaps i can go into Best Buy and just buy an extension and move the router to optimal position ?

I had some luck with that method, parking the car differently and leaving garage door open and playing with folding and unfolding mirrors. I will say, I think I am fix this issue with an extension a cable to the router... what is the type of cable that is needed to extended the signal from the drop and under the house to the router? It’s not an Ethernet cable but I forget the other name... perhaps i can go into Best Buy and just buy an extension and move the router to optimal position ?
Coaxial Cable? Probably RG-6 or RG-59?

CABLES 101 - How to choose the best cable: Part 1, types of cables - The Solid Signal Blog

Discussion in the 17.42 thread (in the S forum): Looks like 17.42.1 may be only for AP2.5 since it fixes the issues with the 'missing hardware' and everyone else is (still) getting 17.42, which is fine for them:

upload_2017-10-24_10-50-28.png

I received 42.1 today at the SC. My car was towed there this weekend. Everything works again.

For those that didn’t get all of the details, I lost power steering, park assist, all FWD control, and electronic locks to fold or unfold second and third row seats.

This update appears to have fixed all of it
I was hoping someone who did the OTA update to 42.1 would chime in. Doing the update @ the SvC might mean they still did a hard reset. Again TIA