Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.42.1 94435ee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got this update. Took less then 25 minutes. However, after it was complete I left and after about 1 mile it said it did not complete the update. I got this same message the last time but since I did not monitor it not sure when it came out. So could of been that same thing. Also, I lost my GPS again. Happened once before and after it set for a while it reset. I just parked the car and noticed on my iPhone Tesla App the location changed back to my house. Before it was showing a little different (NW my street) so not sure if is fixed or something else. Would need to drive to know for sure.
Here is an update on this. I called and got transferred twice. The third person was able to reset my GPS (she said some command to reset satellites was sent to my car was all I got). She said she could see that my car had access to the satellites now so all good. I then drove to verify. Regarding the Software Update Error. She said that my car is showing I should have gotten 2017.42.60 but as I said my version changed from 2017.42 to 2017.42.1. She is sending my case over to an engineer that "may" try to send another update to my car or at least determine what is going on.

Here is an update on this. I called and got transferred twice. The third person was able to reset my GPS (she said some command to reset satellites was sent to my car was all I got). She said she could see that my car had access to the satellites now so all good. I then drove to verify. Regarding the Software Update Error. She said that my car is showing I should have gotten 2017.42.60 but as I said my version changed from 2017.42 to 2017.42.1. She is sending my case over to an engineer that "may" try to send another update to my car or at least determine what is going on.
Remember that Tesla may call what we see as 17.42.1, they call 17.42.60 internally. We have no idea unless we want to have a confusing conversation with someone that really understands more than the average person who is supporting people over the phone. :D

The GPS thing is interesting. They may have told your car to reset and start from scratch its GPS alignment if it locked on to the wrong GPS constellation somehow. I recall similar from handheld GPS receivers *way* back when.

Mine was after about 20 mins. I started it and went off to do something else. Then i got the failed notification on my phone.
I know it doesn't apply in your situation, but once I drove off just after I got the software update complete notification on the main screen, and it hadn't gone away yet.... and then the update failed and I had to go back to the service center to do the update. The service center told me I was lucky the car didn't strand me because they've seen that before. The told me to always wait until the update complete window goes away completely before driving the car.

What's a 'hard reset' to you? Turning the car's power off and restarting it? That will clear the alerts also. But 17.42.1 is the fix for the AP2.5 alerts issue, that's what it was made for.
A hard reset is to disconnect the high voltage power, disconnect the 12v power, wait 3 to 5 minutes then reconnect in reverse order.

If any of you have tips, please let me know. I thought about logging in directly to the router (sorry if I'm describing this wrong) and then fix the IP address of the airport so it doesn't get randomly assigned addresses, and then perhaps creating a guest network fro

After creating a guest network exclusively for the car, I have less problems. Still though, I just checked and it was on LTE instead of WiFi and it took several tries to reconnect. The car's WiFi antenna is poor at best.​

http://firmware.teslafi.com still shows a significant number of 2017.34 cars out there, so I'm not too worried yet.

2017.34 / 2448cfc / 227 / 25.4%

That's where I have been for a while. Although it's going in for its 6th SC visit on Thursday since my late Q3 delivery. So I should be upgraded to 17.42 or so by the time I get it back next week or the week after.​

I finally got an update available notification last night. I have been on 2017.32 for a long time. After pressing to update now and left the car alone, I got an update failure message after a while. Went into the car to see that it failed and the update will be downloaded again when ready. Ouch.

I finally got an update available notification last night. I have been on 2017.32 for a long time. After pressing to update now and left the car alone, I got an update failure message after a while. Went into the car to see that it failed and the update will be downloaded again when ready. Ouch.

Same thing is happening to a lot of people, but it doesn't seem to have actually failed (at least in my case). If you check your firmware version in the app or by pressing the T logo in the car you should be on 2017.42.1 despite the failure message.

I don't think so, I've played with it enough now that I think it is pretty clearly operating as intended from my observations. This is not something my AP1 car ever did or AP2 has done so far. I'm interested to hear if other people are seeing the same with 2017.42. I've tried it on multiple streets, asphalt with concrete curbs and concrete with concrete curbs. Only thing I've not tried yet are streets with no curb to see if it is detecting the boundaries of the drivable area there too. We shall see.

Just got 42 . If there was a problem with 42 and they fixed it in the next release, will they continue pushing out a bum release or will they issue a bad release and then update it with a corrected version when they get around to it? I can’t see why they would continue pushing out the bad software. Am I missing something here?

I noticed after getting 2017.42 that my AP2.0 car now consistently recognizes curbs as lane boundaries (highlighted blue on the IC) on local streets now. Pretty happy to see that functionality.

Honestly it is a bad thing to recognize anything other than lines as lane boundaries. I have seen sometimes AP2 thinks shoulder is a lane because it recognizes the asphalt/grass boundary as a lane line. That is a very bad implementation that could end giving more problems. AP1 is more conservative in recognizing lanes and that is a good thing.

Reactions: rnortman
I don't think it is seeing it as a lane marking, they are seeing it as the boundary to the drivable area. That is the ultimate goal, for the car to ascertain where the drivable area is, so that when you are driving on a road that has no markings, the car is able to negotiate it the same way people do. I'm not saying it is there yet, but be able to tell the curb is there and it shouldn't drive into it, if that's what's going on, is a nice step in the right direction...

Just got 42 . If there was a problem with 42 and they fixed it in the next release, will they continue pushing out a bum release or will they issue a bad release and then update it with a corrected version when they get around to it? I can’t see why they would continue pushing out the bad software. Am I missing something here?

2017.42 apparently works fine on everything but AP2.5 cars. They are getting 2017.42.1 instead...

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Just had 2017.42.1 pushed to my AP2.5 X an hour ago, updating from 2017.40.1. The first update I ever did was exactly one month ago when I got home from picking up the new vehicle. I too got a install failure message at that time after only a few minutes. Two days later, an update was once again available for install, and I successfully updated it from the as-delivered 2017.34 to 2017.38.

2017.42.1 reportedly includes a fix to the Homelink failures according to a message I got from support, so hoping for the best.

Please answer these 3 questions to help confirm assumptions on .42 vs .42.1.
(My answers are provided)

Q.
Is anyone continuing to experiencing any HomeLink issues on 2017.42 or 2017.42.1?
If yes, please elaborate (opening,closing...)?

A. No - AP2 (2017.42)

Q. Is anyone other than AP2.5 cars experiencing any other issues (Smart Air Suspension, Steering...)?

A. No - AP2 (2017.42)

Q. Is anyone havining an issue searching for music using the voice command “FIND”? (Any version)?
If yes what version?

A. Yes - AP2 (2017.42) (no longer works at all)