Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.42.1 94435ee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, AP 2.0 has def taken a very noticeable leap forward. Like a boss. I live up on a bluff, at the end of a windy 4 mile road. Today my X drove all the way down the hill on AP2, including navigating a fairly challenging spot where a side road merges in such a way that it's confusing which is the main road. Sixty mile drive to Portland today (to hold my new granddaughter!!) and handled the drive both ways - lots of curves, a couple construction zones, and no swerving towards trucks in adjacent lanes. No taking the edge of curves, right through the center.

I went from .40 to .42 today.... terrible leap backwards for me in AP usability on my freeway commute. It's so weird why and how a release can actually be noticeably worse or better for some people. I was hoping after 50 miles or so it would get good again but carpool lane driving for me in now unusable again... annoying

I went from .40 to .42 today.... terrible leap backwards for me in AP usability on my freeway commute. It's so weird why and how a release can actually be noticeably worse or better for some people. I was hoping after 50 miles or so it would get good again but carpool lane driving for me in now unusable again... annoying
Wow. Sorry to hear that I had the the best drive of my time with my 2017 s on .42 . It is happy in every road I have around here in Virginia, freeways included, light and heavy traffic) It is wierd the variability that seems to be from car to car. Have you tried a reboot? Or talked to the service center ? They might have a suggestion . . I’m Now worried if another .xx release might set me back. For me this one .42 is great

Every time I got a new update....every single time, the first 20 miles was always horrible....then around 50 miles later, it got much much better

Blah, I just got 2017.42 a88c8d5 on Wednesday - is that because I have a crummy old 2.0 car?
The general consensus is that 42.1 was merely a bug fix for a bug that only effected to AP2.5. (SAS)
This seems to corroborate that theory...

153688D9-B0D4-4958-A1BC-7FE0C31565E4.png

Wow, AP 2.0 has def taken a very noticeable leap forward. Like a boss. I live up on a bluff, at the end of a windy 4 mile road. Today my X drove all the way down the hill on AP2, including navigating a fairly challenging spot where a side road merges in such a way that it's confusing which is the main road. Sixty mile drive to Portland today (to hold my new granddaughter!!) and handled the drive both ways - lots of curves, a couple construction zones, and no swerving towards trucks in adjacent lanes. No taking the edge of curves, right through the center.

this version (2017.42) is a significant improvment from (.34-.36) and prior for me - esp on surface street intersection and wobbliness on freeways. Still has ways to go but slightly better.

Received the update yesterday and did the update last night. Not sure what if any improvements since the wife has been driving the car out of town today. I can say that there are no known issues for if there was, my phone would be off the hook. uh. if there ever was a hook. I wanted to share that since ownership with the three or 4 different software updates, all of them have been OTA and the car in a garage at the apartment we stay at. I often thought it the OTA would not work, I could always use a phone or tablet and share the hot spot to bring the car up on WiFi but to date, OTA works find on LTE.

This has to be placebo. There is no ongoing learning within your car on each release. Perhaps you just get used to what it feels like.
I tend to agree that the "learning" is happening on Tesla's servers. However, it's entirely possible that there is some hardware calibration required after every update to address differences in camera angles. A brand new vehicle is unable to use AP until calibration is complete, so this seems entirely possible to me. Even when AP is active, I'm sure the calibration is on-going and continues to improve for a while longer.

We definitely experience something that could be calibration with each release. Our X drives the same route every weekday and one can see the difference in behavior over the course of a week or so.

It’s usually minor but it’s there. Stuff like less hugging of curbs on the same stretch of road and better lane keeping in the same curve. It doesn’t continue to get better beyond that week’s worth of improvement either so clearly no real learning happening.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was some kind of calibration and I wonder if that is why we see so much variability in people’s experiences with releases.

Hm.... I would have thought 'calibration' would stick with the car and not need to be redone. Why wouldn't it? Someone convince me why this needs to be redone each time. I sure understand on a new car, but each firmware release? They can't create physical hardware offsets and write them out somewhere that's not overwritten each time?

Reactions: vdiv
Hm.... I would have thought 'calibration' would stick with the car and not need to be redone. Why wouldn't it? Someone convince me why this needs to be redone each time. I sure understand on a new car, but each firmware release? They can't create physical hardware offsets and write them out somewhere that's not overwritten each time?
No one can definitively answer that question, but one possibility is that Tesla simply hasn't developed a standard offset yet that applies across updates. Instead, they use a "mild" learning algorithm to help calibrate the camera after each update. There is the possibility that the updates are complex enough that calculating a standard offset is not possible (eg. if they've changed to a new algorithm). All speculation of course.