Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.2 3bd9f6d Is out, Easy Entry after belt unbuckle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like others, I am unhappy with the auto-lane change in .50.2. This is my first firmware version, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it the car basically dives into the target lane. It is too abrupt for unsuspecting passengers. Not sure why they set up the control logic to be this way.

• Helpful
Reactions: Matutino
Better yet. I learned the hard way that tapping the brakes in any situation that requires immediate disengagement is preferred.

True, but when the steering does something wonky, which requires correcting, your hand(s) is already on the wheel, and a steering disengagement doesn’t turn TACC off like the brakes do.

Agreed there are non steering events that the brake pedal works best.

I mentioned in anothe thread we all should request via Email that Tesla needs to make lane change aggressive behavior a configuration. It’s better than a few releases age, but for me .44 was the best. Can’t speak for others as I went from.44 to .50.2.

Send to [email protected]

Makes sense to me. I prefer the way it is currently, and my wife and daughter don’t seem to find it to be too hard either, but it’s such a subjective thing, it makes sense to make it configurable.

Last time I e-mailed that address a few months back, it was rejected by Tesla. Has that changed?
I had a strange rejection several months ago too, and mailing support as to why it was rejected, the reply was it was an internal use address only. Rookie response from a frontline support person that didn’t know what they were talking about.

Pressed others further and they confirmed it was still a viable address. And, I finally did get a response which quoted the original mail, so I know it went through. I followed up with email through my MyTesla account, although it took weeks, not the two days they state it should take to get a reply.

Could also use [email protected] I guess, but I’ve never used that one so can’t verify it’s still valid.

Makes sense to me. I prefer the way it is currently, and my wife and daughter don’t seem to find it to be too hard either, but it’s such a subjective thing, it makes sense to make it configurable.
I don’t mind it, but passengers don’t like being caught unaware. ;)

The problem is, they keep changing its behavior. Far too many times now. Just make it an option and be done with it already. :rolleyes:

52 does have ‘quicker’ lane change than 44 or 48, it’s definitely changed.

As for ‘when it’s ready’ for a lane change, I don’t ask it to do a change until I see the ‘next lane over’ become dotted. That shows me ‘it approves’ of it. I don’t know if that’s been mentioned here but I’ve seen it on YouTube.

• Helpful
Reactions: don123
I had a strange rejection several months ago too, and mailing support as to why it was rejected, the reply was it was an internal use address only. Rookie response from a frontline support person that didn’t know what they were talking about.

Pressed others further and they confirmed it was still a viable address. And, I finally did get a response which quoted the original mail, so I know it went through. I followed up with email through my MyTesla account, although it took weeks, not the two days they state it should take to get a reply.

Could also use [email protected] I guess, but I’ve never used that one so can’t verify it’s still valid.
I submitted my suggestion to engage “Easy Entry” only after In Park & Unbuckled using the support link in “MyTesla” After you click the button to manager vehicle.
They responded via email and apparently passed it on as promised and it was actually addressed in 50.2.
So anecdotally I would recommend that this is the best way to make requests or suggestions.
7A2BC679-3E8E-4934-B791-048DAFEA0273.png

Reactions: Joe F and boaterva
I still have 2 bugs, one more annoying. They both showed up this winter.

1) wiper service setting don't work and only starts wiping. I.e. they don't stop in the extended position.
2) front forward looking parking sensors don't work, no error message. Front corner sensors only work in reverse, not in drive.

Anyone else noticed?

Yes, the release notes popped up.

Thanks for the feedback.

I never got anything other then an update failed message. I contacted support today and they re-pushed the update which failed again, so I've got a service center appointment to check it out.

It took me three tries to get a success message on my phone and the release notes popup in the car. My car updated to 50.2 in the app and car menus on the first try though.

I'd have Tesla push the update again and see if it works this time. I didn't change any settings between attempts and all were done in my garage at home.

Reactions: MisterTwo
I still have 2 bugs, one more annoying. They both showed up this winter.

1) wiper service setting don't work and only starts wiping. I.e. they don't stop in the extended position.
2) front forward looking parking sensors don't work, no error message. Front corner sensors only work in reverse, not in drive.

Anyone else noticed?

2 has been going on since .42. there is a thread but I'm on mobile. Search for front parking sensors intermittent.

Reactions: daktari
I don’t mind it, but passengers don’t like being caught unaware. ;)

The problem is, they keep changing its behavior. Far too many times now. Just make it an option and be done with it already. :rolleyes:

The only thing I’d add is that it may not be easily configurable. It could be that the changes to the aggressiveness of the lane change is coming about due to some side effect from modifying other parts of the autosteering algorithm. If that’s the case, it may be difficult for them to make multiple different aggressiveness settings while keeping autosteering performance the same under each.

Last time I e-mailed that address a few months back, it was rejected by Tesla. Has that changed?
I suspect that email address has had an awful lot of abuse thanks to disgruntled owners, AP delays etc. and they were forced to disable it. Shame; it would be nice to have some way to give feedback that went somewhere but then the total number of Tesla owners now is huge and they can no longer really field reports if even 1% of them gave regular feedback.

The only thing I’d add is that it may not be easily configurable. It could be that the changes to the aggressiveness of the lane change is coming about due to some side effect from modifying other parts of the autosteering algorithm. If that’s the case, it may be difficult for them to make multiple different aggressiveness settings while keeping autosteering performance the same under each.

Good point. I requested they make it a configuration choice. Will post when or if I ever get a response.

Reactions: don123
Try “comfort” mode. Forcing a disengagement takes very little counter force which eliminates oversteering.
I didn't realize there was a "comfort" setting but that was my previous gripe about auto steer and forcing it to disengage. On our current return trip, I've turned off the lane change feature as honestly it was just too inconsistent and more stressful trying to anticipate whether our model X would make a smooth lane change or kamikaze across two lane change. Really wish I had a phone mount so I could record a video of this behavior. What I did notice and not sure if this was implemented in an earlier release is that with auto lane change disabled and while in auto steer, when you use your turn signal, there is barely any resistance to auto steer disengagement. Passengers definitely preferred this... Now if we can lower the volume on the constant auto steer engage/ disengage chime...;)

Reactions: daktari