Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Chademo Tesla Adapter Not Working With Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
**ATTENTION**

Would everyone that spoke with their SC and were told that there is no way to update the firmware, please let me know which SC told you this?

I spoke with my SA & lead tech at the Columbus, Ohio SC. They are asking for a list, so they can inform other SCs how to perform the firmware update on CHAdeMO adapters.

I give huge kudos to the SA that wants to help educate all the other SCs on this matter.

I went to Tempe AZ SC and he might check Scottsdale AZ SC too.

@Evoforce Just wondering if you still have the defective adapter. I would like to buy a defective CHAdeMO adapter to use for an experimental project...

Sorry but no. I turned it in to SC in order to receive a working replacement. The onlinestore would not cooperate and did not acknowledge it as defective and provided no avenue for return or replacement.

Last edited:
My Chademo adaptor would not work at any charging stations near my home (primary EVGo). I tried multiple stations many times and it never worked. I called the central Tesla support number and was told the newest firmware (2.x I believe) had issues with some stations and that the issue would be fixed if it was downgraded to around version 1.7. I visited my SC and asked them to downgrade my firmware, but upon connecting the adaptor to their system they saw it still had 1.4 so they decided to update to the newest version. And against what I predicted, updating actually solved all my issues. It has worked 100% of the time from NJ to FL, again primarily the EVGo chargers.

And if possible can you report charger manufacturer like ABB, instead of charger operator, such as EVgo, with what happened, such as error messages, sudden disconnect, etc? Old adapter firmware had issues with Nissan branded chargers (tall, white), Hasetec (Japan only I guess) and JFE (almost Japan only, with 12kWh battery). After the adapter firmware upgrade, I believe compatibility issues with Nissan was resolved but others still remain.

Reactions: RiverBrick
Sorry but no. I turned it in to SC in order to receive a working replacement. The onlinestore would not cooperate and did not acknowledge it as defective and provided no avenue for return or replacement.
See - we're going thru the same BS right now. Bought via online store - no remedy, even though we only used it (14 months ago) just 3X since we got it, over a year ago. AND our local SC says there IS no update, & they wouldn't even try.

on a similar note - i see in another thread (main blog today), Tesla is last in customer satisfaction / mystery shopper survey out of thousands of differing centers .... something like 34th out of 34. Pretty sad.

See - we're going thru the same BS right now. Bought via online store - no remedy, even though we only used it (14 months ago) just 3X since we got it, over a year ago. AND our local SC says there IS no update, & they wouldn't even try.

on a similar note - i see in another thread (main blog today), Tesla is last in customer satisfaction / mystery shopper survey out of thousands of differing centers .... something like 34th out of 34. Pretty sad.
But that is for salesmanship at their Service Centers. Tesla, unlike Dealers do not attempt to "sell" cars. Of course they are last on that list. As far as your (I am assuming, chademo adapter) is concerned, SC can reprogram your adapter if that is what is wrong with it. Be aware, not all SC are aware that they can update/change software on the chademo adapter so you might have to prove it to them. There are posts on here about that.

Reactions: JohnnyG
My SC swore on a stack of bibles there is no such thing as a firmware update for the CHAdeMO adapter. I argued with them multiple times and even brought up that I read on-line others had it done. Hopefully word has gotten out better since then.

You may need a different service center:-(I had the firmware updated on my chademo adapter about 6 months ago.

Reactions: JohnnyG
And if possible can you report charger manufacturer like ABB, instead of charger operator, such as EVgo, with what happened, such as error messages, sudden disconnect, etc? Old adapter firmware had issues with Nissan branded chargers (tall, white), Hasetec (Japan only I guess) and JFE (almost Japan only, with 12kWh battery). After the adapter firmware upgrade, I believe compatibility issues with Nissan was resolved but others still remain.

EVGo uses both ABB and Nissan type chargers. Both work fine for me.

Reactions: hiroshiy
For what it's worth, it seems that it's the new hardware revision, not the latest firmware, which is causing the issues. Myself and others have the older adapters with the the most updated firmware, and are able to use the chargers.

From the chademo manual:

Because continuous improvement is an ongoing goal at Tesla, and is necessary to ensure compatibility with as many models of CHAdeMO stations as possible, both present and future, Tesla reserves the right to make product modifications at any time. As a result, your CHAdeMO adapter may require an occasional firmware update. Firmware updates are performed by Tesla Service.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
From the chademo manual:

Because continuous improvement is an ongoing goal at Tesla, and is necessary to ensure compatibility with as many models of CHAdeMO stations as possible, both present and future, Tesla reserves the right to make product modifications at any time. As a result, your CHAdeMO adapter may require an occasional firmware update. Firmware updates are performed by Tesla Service.
I'm not sure I grasp what your point is here??? Especially from an issue that was a year and a half ago....

I posted no less than 8 messages in this particular thread, stating that the CHAdeMO adapter is firmware updatable, and that you should bring it into the Service Center for them to update it.

I also stated that there was a hardware design change in 2017, at which point people with the new hardware revision adapters were experiencing issues that people with the old hardware revisions were not.

I'm not sure I grasp what your point is here??? Especially from an issue that was a year and a half ago....

I posted no less than 8 messages in this particular thread, stating that the CHAdeMO adapter is firmware updatable, and that you should bring it into the Service Center for them to update it.

I also stated that there was a hardware design change in 2017, at which point people with the new hardware revision adapters were experiencing issues that people with the old hardware revisions were not.
No slight was intended on you, I'm sure. Showing a Service Center employee your post stating that it is upgradable will probably not carry much weight. Showing them where it is written in a Tesla manual may cause them to pause and actually check the facts.

I have experienced several occasions where I have asked a SA for clarification on another topic or to check on something. They ask a service tech, and THAT WORD IS GOSPEL. If the tech does not know about it, or doesn't know how, they will say "no", and the SA will not budge from that. They won't call anyone else, they won't check with the Columbus, OH SC, they have the final word and that is that.