Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there is any need to go there. I'm sure there are plenty of people that shorted in the $380's. The short interest stayed pretty much the same throughout the $180 to $380 run, so short sellers entered, exited many times. And with TSLA, we can be assured of volatility which means there is ample opportunity to profit or lose which ever way. But for the bears, it's about tactical trading... taking advantage of short term bouts of disappointment or fear, or just the feeling of being overbought. The problem is the long term story, thus far, is working against them. That means paying interest to lose money of the long term. And one of these days, they will get squeezed hard.
My guess is it's AntonW from SA trolling us for a Sleezeking Alfalfa article or similar.

Stop right there. None of the other companies know how to make pure electric cars. The Leaf -- yes, but it still doesn't have a proper battery thermal control system or the right range or fast charging. The Leaf 2.0 will finally have the right range, but we'll see if it has the thermal control, and I bet it still doesn't have fast charging.

Everyone else outside China? just look at the barely-trying volumes. At best, they're going through the startup/learning phase. Even most of the Chinese companies are going through the startup phase. There are actually things you have to learn in order to make a good electric car. They're very very slow at learning them. By the time they're ready to compete, Tesla will be making 4 million cars per year.

And nobody else is really SUPER at CHARGING.

Just sayin'

Moderator Note:

Some - but by no means enough - posts moved to Snippiness.

It's not clear why certain posters continually, frequently or even occasionally need to write childish posts. If your post has been moved, it may be instructive for you to find it there, consider it and decide whether you fit the above category.

Reactions: D-egg-O

The problem with Ford buying Lucid as I see it. Lucid wont sell for just the value of the tech and ford actually doesnt want to build Lucid cars. They have high margin, high priced cars already and wont want to displace them. What they need is a Model 3 competitor before their lunch gets ate. I just dont see Lucid selling out like that, though I could be wrong. Now Faraday is so underwater and its main backers are hurting enough to sell for pennies on the dollar.

But yeah, like Elon said, building cars is not fun and its really hard to manufacture them. Specifically, he stated that they only need 50-60 people and 6 months to build a prototype and they need 10,000 people and 3 years to actually manufacture it and Tesla has cut that time almost in half. The average is more like 5-6 years.

Reactions: SpaceCash
Gracious.
Are any of the locals able to perform their magical permit-scouring to learn more? For an industrial heavy-manufacturing set-up, this multi-storied whatever-it-is absolutely towers over not only the rest of the Fremont plant, but most any kind of non hopper-style (fluids, etc) structure that normally exists.

At first blush, it looks like some kind of warehousing arrays. As in, for example, battery tempering slots. Or parking garage!

So I'm sure I'm wrong.

Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 8.32.21 AM.png

Reactions: SpaceCash
Gracious.
Are any of the locals able to perform their magical permit-scouring to learn more? For an industrial heavy-manufacturing set-up, this multi-storied whatever-it-is absolutely towers over not only the rest of the Fremont plant, but most any kind of non hopper-style (fluids, etc) structure that normally exists.

At first blush, it looks like some kind of warehousing arrays. As in, for example, battery tempering slots. Or parking garage!

So I'm sure I'm wrong.

View attachment 236234

The Borg have finally arrived from Elon's home planet?

Actually, I think it is an automated pallet system, there are a couple of videos included in the article. My guess is that they are moving existing storage areas from the main facility to this new building to clear space for the second Model 3 line or the Semi Line or both. If you look at the size of the footprint and the height, they could clear a decent amount of space for the main factory floors.

Thank you all for the (for the most part unsuccessful) attempts to talk me down from the ledge. And for those complaining about my lack of research, why do you think I'm spending hours hear conversing with you guys?

1. It's Howard Oark - I loathe Ayne Rand.
2. I am not a paid shill of the oil companies - I actually took a screen shot of my Schwab account page for Tesla but apparently you can't download your own pictures.
3. I was vastly wrong about Tesla in January and hence am acutely aware that I might be wrong about it now (unlike most of the Tesla longs who's faith in Elon Musk makes me uncomfortable - and I understand he's a visionary who has done great great things (he bought PayPal for example - at least he recognized the value and made it really worth something).
4. The supercharger system isn't an advantage. Tesla will have to share them with other BEV companies or the consorteum building charging stations in Europe won't let Tesla customers use their network. Once people start charging for charging (ha ha) you can expect third party charging stations to appear everywhere (like those ATMs you find in convince stores).
5. GM has sold more Bolts and Volts than Tesla has cars (at least in the US). Why does anyone think Tesla is miles ahead? There's a lot more to mass production than packing batteries into cars so I wouldn't be so confident that Tesla is ahead of the major car companies in industrial engineering.
6. Tesla has taken a fundamentally different approach to FAV (no lidar) - if they're wrong, they're way behind and the data they've collected isn't worth much.
7. This is the crux of my problem with the bull case: "Global EV sales in 2050 will almost certainly be over 50 million/year. Tesla could be massively successful with a 2% market share." Great, in 2050 Tesla (base case) is selling 1 million cars a year. That's 10% of the cars that Toyota (market cap $163 billion) is selling today. Why does Tesla deserve a market cap of $54 billion today?
8. This is also a problem: "If they can manufacture a million Model 3s a year, they'll sell them. That's a sure thing." Death and taxes are sure things. Everything else is on a probability scale between 0 and 1. You may think 1,000,000 TM3s sold is 99.999% likely, but you don't even know if it's going to be a good car. What happens to your theory if all the reviews come out, "Meh, nice car, not better than the Chevy Bolt which you can buy today for less money?" I know, genius Musk dreamt up reusable rockets and actually delivered and the Model S is the best car ever built. But even Homer nods.

That was my first though too, especially knowing how bad parking is in fremont and how they want to expand even further. Autonomous driving will be great for that, go park and charge yourself while I go to work.
I think it will be an automated car storage facility, for the Model 3 particularly. It's right next to the rail line, so it would be very nice to have a buffer before loading trains.

Similar to this, only a bit more compact: Volkswagen’s 800-Vehicle Car Towers in Germany

Thank you all for the (for the most part unsuccessful) attempts to talk me down from the ledge. And for those complaining about my lack of research, why do you think I'm spending hours hear conversing with you guys?

1. It's Howard Oark - I loathe Ayne Rand.
2. I am not a paid shill of the oil companies - I actually took a screen shot of my Schwab account page for Tesla but apparently you can't download your own pictures.
3. I was vastly wrong about Tesla in January and hence am acutely aware that I might be wrong about it now (unlike most of the Tesla longs who's faith in Elon Musk makes me uncomfortable - and I understand he's a visionary who has done great great things (he bought PayPal for example - at least he recognized the value and made it really worth something).
4. The supercharger system isn't an advantage. Tesla will have to share them with other BEV companies or the consorteum building charging stations in Europe won't let Tesla customers use their network. Once people start charging for charging (ha ha) you can expect third party charging stations to appear everywhere (like those ATMs you find in convince stores).
5. GM has sold more Bolts and Volts than Tesla has cars (at least in the US). Why does anyone think Tesla is miles ahead? There's a lot more to mass production than packing batteries into cars so I wouldn't be so confident that Tesla is ahead of the major car companies in industrial engineering.
6. Tesla has taken a fundamentally different approach to FAV (no lidar) - if they're wrong, they're way behind and the data they've collected isn't worth much.
7. This is the crux of my problem with the bull case: "Global EV sales in 2050 will almost certainly be over 50 million/year. Tesla could be massively successful with a 2% market share." Great, in 2050 Tesla (base case) is selling 1 million cars a year. That's 10% of the cars that Toyota (market cap $163 billion) is selling today. Why does Tesla deserve a market cap of $54 billion today?
8. This is also a problem: "If they can manufacture a million Model 3s a year, they'll sell them. That's a sure thing." Death and taxes are sure things. Everything else is on a probability scale between 0 and 1. You may think 1,000,000 TM3s sold is 99.999% likely, but you don't even know if it's going to be a good car. What happens to your theory if all the reviews come out, "Meh, nice car, not better than the Chevy Bolt which you can buy today for less money?" I know, genius Musk dreamt up reusable rockets and actually delivered and the Model S is the best car ever built. But even Homer nods.

1. I kept reading it as Hower Dork. but I see now that I was wrong. I apologize.
2. If you cant use the internet, you cant understand Tesla. I am sorry.
3. He founded Paypal and never wanted to sell it when they did, because he saw it could be a $50B+ business
4. And that is bad for Tesla because? Shorts cant have it both ways, either you will be left dead on the side of the road or charging will be everywhere. Im so confused as to what is right and what is good or bad.
5. GM sells bolts at a loss, I thought you shorts frowned on that sort of thing. If my math is correct, it would take 10 volts to offset each bolt, and thus it would take an infinate number of bolts to offset a single Model S in terms of gross profit margins.
6. If you cant download a screen shot, you cant understand why Lidar is no better and in some ways worse then Radar + Vision. This concept is an entire thread worth and I wont go into other then to say, stay in your lane and figure out downloading pictures first.
7. Tesla already has over 50% of market share in the only two ways that matter. Revenues and Profit margins. They will harness these and the brand affinity they have built to do the same across a broader market, with no $3B/Y ad budget required. Tesla's market should be higher, you are right. It should be based on future risk adjusted gross income growth. Tesla is burning cash, and a lot of it.. but they are not burning on immaterial things like ads, they are burning it on Giant assets that should produce for 100 years.
8. Before you type another word. Go drive a model S. Until then, I dont really think you understand anything about the appeal of the car. Then picture owning a car very similar, but half the price and about the same cost as Camry. Then go drive a new Camry. You keep bringing up the bolt, but never mention they lose $10,000 on each bolt sold, cant sell them and have 111 days wroth of inventory and have recently shut down manufacturing. Dont mention the Bolt again until you can talk about why this is all good for GM but bad for Tesla, because you just look bad ignoring it and using it as proof Tesla is bad.

And again, increase your short position if you think Musk will fail. You have about 6 months before you will find out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.