Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's advertising. You guys really think someone like Rosberg would make a tweet that highlights Tesla this way by accident or just because he is happy about some meetings? Either you guys are totally clueless about the through-and-through commercial side of the F1 spectacle or hopelessly naive.
Rosberg thoughts? - (your cynicism, I feel you, always my first suspicion) finding truth seldom easy and you should surely almost always follow the money. Worth a quick read, just a couple of paragraphs.
Retired F1 champ Nico Rosberg: 'More to life than driving in circles'

Reactions: Alketi
Tesla-model-3-market-cap-revenue-infographic1.jpg
Don't understand Net Income being negative - Annual reports don't read that way.
You can find Gross Margin numbers between about 22 and 27% Which would be Net Income, no?
Gross Income would be total revenue, right? And Net Income calculated from margin, right?
Yes, Net Profits are certainly negative as all and more going into investing back into the business.
So I suspect a mis labeling here.
Should be Net Profits and not Net Income, right?

Small point on my part - but WHAT GREAT INFORMATION - thank you, thank you, a lot of work, great.

Don't understand Net Income being negative - Annual reports don't read that way.
You can find Gross Margin numbers between about 22 and 27% Which would be Net Income, no?
Gross Income would be total revenue, right? And Net Income calculated from margin, right?
Yes, Net Profits are certainly negative as all and more going into investing back into the business.
So I suspect a mis labeling here.
Should be Net Profits and not Net Income, right?

Small point on my part - but WHAT GREAT INFORMATION - thank you, thank you, a lot of work, great.

Net income is an entity's income minus cost of goods sold,expenses, and taxes for an accounting period.

With all due respect you were missing the point.
With all due respect, I believe I was responding to the question of whether the ticket price for Hyperloop could be comparable to Amtrak:

if the Hyperloop works that will demolish any other choice if the price were comparable. Could it actually happen?

Assuming the Hyperloop as built is similar to what has been presented, rather than some totally different project with the same name (I don't discount Musk's willingness to replace the product, like he did with the Solar Roof)...

The answer is no. That could not actually happen, unless Musk really did become the subsidy queen which some accuse him of (and I don't think he will).

As presented, Hyperloop lacks nearly all of the economies of scale of trains, and has higher running costs. It also has very substantial additional construction costs compared to using existing right-of-way, even if they're lower than current US tunnel-drilling costs.

You can't take something with fewer economies of scale, higher per-unit operating costs, and higher capital costs, and price it cheaper -- unless you're just subsidizing it more. You would have to actually have a cost advantage somewhere in order to price it cheaper.

If you were asking some other question, you didn't ask it.

I have to add, plenty of absolute statements are absolutely true. Ever learn any mathematics? Physics? Chemistry? Biology?

It's much less common to be able to make reliable absolutely true statements in the social sciences, but there are a few in economics, mostly in specialized subfields where the grounding is really solid. In fact knowing one of these -- borrowing short term and lending long-term requires constant refinancing, and a bank run on the financing of a company doing this will cause business failure unless some other source of financing bails them out -- led me to make my accurate evaluation of SolarCity's pre-merger business model.

I repeat: if I see a revised version of Hyperloop with trains which hold a reasonable ("train sized") number of people per train, I'll start taking it seriously. Then I'll check whether they've solved the customer vomiting problem. Then I'll check whether they have any sort of solution for the surface-level construction costs, which are the bloated part of civil construction. So far they have none of the three. This means they are not even at square one yet.

Last edited:
:confused:Chevrolet Volt:confused:,
and have they not temporarily stopped production of Bolt?

Allegedly replacing the Volt with a compact CUV with Voltec drivetrain.

Also allegedly retooling Sonic/Bolt plant to make less Sonics and more Bolts.

Capacity at Sonic/Bolt plant was 2/3 Sonic 1/3 Bolt, but after 3 week recess it will be 50/50.

With a capacity to make 45k Bolt/Ampera-e per year.

* Full sized car market is shrinking fast. Switch to Model S can't account such shrinking everywhere even where Model S doesn't sell or sells in tiny amounts. It is people switching to midsize fullsize CUV/SUV.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and AlMc
Easement rights and eminent domain are big battles for infrastructure development of roads, etc. There's little protest to be made about a tunnel that's so far underground your home that it doesn't impact your home/life versus a road/railway that eats up a 30 foot wide swath of your land while producing large amounts of sound.
I was comparing it to *already existing* surface ROW.

How much can keep most of this to the interstate, your local approvals would be greatly reduced.
Interstate is too curvy. You can certainly pay people less to run under their house than to run on the surface.

I will also point out that NY-DC demand by itself isn't that high compared to NY-Trenton + Trenton-Philadelphia + Philadelphia-Baltimore etc. etc. etc.

A strictly point-to-point system is serving a very limited market, and lacks economies of scale. Sure, some people will pay for the speed: the same ones who fly right now. But there's no fixed infrastructure cost in flying -- they don't have an airport just for NY-DC flights, they use it for all flights. For a point-to-point Hyperloop these passengers alone must support the entire cost of the tunnel -- and there are still two stations required.

A system with intermediate stops -- more sensible -- requires figuring out how to build a station (or on-off ramp if you're going with the even worse car carrier idea) at each city. And *that's* where the construction costs currently blow up in your face: the stations, the access points. Not the actual tunnel drilling.

It's not hard to find out that that's where the construction cost problem is, but it doesn't seem to be something Musk is looking at. Maybe this isn't an issue on Mars if we all live permanently in tunnels there. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Matias
Falcon Heavy prepares for debut flight as Musk urges caution on expectations | NASASpaceFlight.com

With all of these elements in consideration, Mr. Musk is urging caution regarding public expectation for Falcon Heavy’s first flight, saying that there is a “real good chance that the first vehicle [won’t] make it to orbit. So I want to make sure to set expectations accordingly.”

Even more telling was how Musk continued on this point, stating that he hoped Falcon Heavy makes it far enough away from LC-39A before failing so the pad will escape significant damage.

“I hope it makes it far enough away from the pad that it’s not going to cause damage. I would consider that a win, honestly,” said Mr. Musk.

Please note that *this* is the way Musk talks about the projects where he's actually making huge progress. (Note the number of cautious warnings about *target* rates and *goals* and so on inserted into the statements about Model 3 production rates.)

The vague and nonspecific claims are on the projects where he isn't making huge progress.

Calibrate your expectactions accordingly. An extremely cautious statement is probably a great sign.

Not maglev, no superconducting cables. You may want to read up on the hyperloop white paper.

thanks for pointing that out, made an interesting read. They do say, "A viable technical solution is magnetic levitation; however the cost associated with material and construction is prohibitive." I don't know that it's cost prohibitive anymore with 2nd generation superconductors and maglev offers some advantages. And clearly a tunnel is different than pylons. Also, my cost estimate was pretty close. This does seem like the kind of thing that we should have ready as a job creator when the Trump depression starts.

Reactions: GregRF
It's not your money, so what do you care?
Well, sure, if Musk wants to spend only his personal money on it, he can have whatever hobbies he wants.

This *vaporware* is actually being used as an excuse to not build high-speed rail by people in MY government, however. THAT is why I care.

If you think there's a better way (as you clearly do), then I invite you to get out there and show us (and Elon). ;)
There is and it's obvious, been there, done that

Reactions: Matias
The market can only stay rigged for so long. At some point, the critical extremes are hit, and everything stops working. I love Tesla, but Trump, the FED, GS, or some large MM are toying with the entire market, which will be very bad for all stocks, when convergence occurs.
This is why I'm trying to hold investments in common stocks of companies which should be relatively crash-resistant. I have stated previously that I think Tesla is one of these. (SolarCity with its zero-money-down loans was the exact opposite, but they're winding that business line down.)

Beginning to wonder if it's a conincidence that Trump has Tweeted lies or carefully tailored posts every time the market looks like it might end down. The broad market and VIX should have ended down 1%+ based on fundamentals, being way overbought and the many impeachment worthy events Trump did today and yesterday. Market ended Red and VIX at historic low? Someone is playing dangerous games that won't end well. A wise CEO allows the market to do its own thing, and doesn't try to stop normal ebbs and flows. Number of times Obama Tweeted about the stock market? Basically zero, except when he commented on its movement over his 8 years.

Trump wouldn't be Tweeting about stock market regularly if he didn't know who is doing the manipulating.
Actually, Trump might simply be a stock market "booster", even without knowing a damn thing about it.

Reactions: MitchJi and AlMc
No. Selling puts is a BULLISH action.

If you wanted them to have massive losses as TSLA goes up (you're mean!), you could be telling them to make either of these bearish best.
(1) BUY puts, and you would be telling them to buy puts which expire as soon as possible. Slightly out-of-the-money puts, like at $350 strikes.
(2) sell CALLS, at very low strikes ($50 or $100) with very distance (Jan 2019) expiration.

I wonder what selling some 2020(when available) like $600 puts will be worth @.@. Not advice.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
I think the translation is relatively straightforward and it has two parts:

Elon's tweet says:

(1) Someone in the federal government said "thumbs up."

(2) I double dare any local politician in NYC or DC (or any stop in-between) to explain to their constituents why they are standing in the way of a 29 minute trip from NYC to DC.
NUMBY? Not under my back yard?

Allegedly replacing the Volt with a compact CUV with Voltec drivetrain.

Also allegedly retooling Sonic/Bolt plant to make less Sonics and more Bolts.

Capacity at Sonic/Bolt plant was 2/3 Sonic 1/3 Bolt, but after 3 week recess it will be 50/50.

With a capacity to make 45k Bolt/Ampera-e per year.

* Full sized car market is shrinking fast. Switch to Model S can't account such shrinking everywhere even where Model S doesn't sell or sells in tiny amounts. It is people switching to midsize fullsize CUV/SUV.

Yup, I was shocked to find out that Nissan rogue recently out sold the Toyota Camry and is now the most popular car in the US. They are just much more versatile vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.