Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironically enough, any vehicle that is crashed into a Tesla at 70mph will do better than if crashed into the standard immovable wall at 35mph that is used for crash testing. The reason? Well, the same thing that makes a Tesla safer for its occupants (larger crumple zone) also makes it safer for those that crash into a Tesla!!
Yah... that's not true, unless the vehicle in question is ~3x the Tesla's mass or greater, shape counts for a lot too.

Reactions: tander
The following is a pretty hilarious exchange between Adam Jonas and GM's CEO on GM's earnings call:

General Motors (GM) Q2 2017 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

Adam Michael Jonas - Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC

Hi. Just a couple of questions. First, so Tesla's been out with a car capable of OTA updates in firmware for about five years now. Now excluding Cruise, does GM currently sell any car capable of OTA updates of firmware? Mary?

Mary Teresa Barra - General Motors Co.

So on the updates. We have done over-the-air updates primarily to the OnStar system. We are in the process of deploying a new electrical architecture which is a pretty comprehensive undertaking, and that's well underway and being deployed as well as a whole new generation of infotainment systems. So you'll see us have that capability as we move forward. Right now it's pretty much limited to updates from an OnStar basis

So any view on timing of when that new architecture could be out that could enable the, obvious, ability for your fleet to learn and revenue opportunities that are within? What side of 2020 could that be, do you think?

Before 2020.

Okay. Great.

The following is a pretty hilarious exchange between Adam Jonas and GM's CEO on GM's earnings call:

General Motors (GM) Q2 2017 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

Hi. Just a couple of questions. First, so Tesla's been out with a car capable of OTA updates in firmware for about five years now. Now excluding Cruise, does GM currently sell any car capable of OTA updates of firmware? Mary?

So on the updates. We have done over-the-air updates primarily to the OnStar system. We are in the process of deploying a new electrical architecture which is a pretty comprehensive undertaking, and that's well underway and being deployed as well as a whole new generation of infotainment systems. So you'll see us have that capability as we move forward. Right now it's pretty much limited to updates from an OnStar basis

So any view on timing of when that new architecture could be out that could enable the, obvious, ability for your fleet to learn and revenue opportunities that are within? What side of 2020 could that be, do you think?

Before 2020.

Okay. Great.

To me, cruise is actually fairly compelling when you combine it with the Bolt and their partnership with Lyft. The issue as we have all gone over a bunch of times is that GM is not committed to EVs in any meaningful way. The rest of whatever else they are doing is utterly meaningless. Those without long range autonomous EVs and the supporting charging network are lost and it will happen quicker then most think.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Some interesting thoughts about autonomous vehicles and very interesting facts about amazon. Personal investments, it's easier to pick losers than winners, long TSLA and amazon and short other automobile companies.
Interview With Entrepreneur and Futurist Zack Kanter -- The Motley Fool

Zack Kanter is a self-described futurist and the founder of Stedi, a modern electronic data interchange platform that helps companies automate their business-to-business transactions.

In this episode of Rule Breaker Investing, Motley Fool co-founder David Gardner brings Zack on to share his thoughts on some of the biggest innovation trends in the world today. Listen in to find out how autonomous driving will affect customers, insurance agencies, and big auto by 2025; why Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) is "eating the world"; how news sites filter their stories and why it matters; what Zack learned from working as a partner and supplier with Amazon; Zack's thoughts on commercial drones, Twitter (NYSE:TWTR), and optimism; and more.

A full transcript follows the video.

• Informative
Reactions: Intl Professor
I missed this (9db is substantial):

Elon tweeted that Teslas equipped with Continental’s ContiSportContact 5p tires are filled with a special polyurethane foam that lowers sound levels transmitted from the tires to the interior of the car by 9 dB, further enhancing the hushed serenity Tesla drivers get to enjoy compared to conventional cars.

Elon tweeted that Teslas equipped with Continental’s ContiSportContact 5p tires are filled with a special polyurethane foam that lowers sound levels transmitted from the tires to the interior of the car by 9 dB, further enhancing the hushed serenity Tesla drivers get to enjoy compared to conventional cars.

9 dB is huge! For reference, what humans perceive as a doubling in volume is 6 dB.

My question is, what happens when you get new tires? Who fills the new tires with the foam?

"had to do with new manufacturing processes."

this was my point... these processes led to large scale weapons production, that lead to large scale military conflicts...

Here's an old saying you might want to keep in mind before posting: better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Horses were in fact still used in WWI (1914-1918) with MILLIONS killed. Additional MILLIONS of horses were also used in WWII (1939-1945). So, no. Once again THE INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION (1790-1830/40) wasn't the demise of the horse.

THE INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION was NOT responsible for the end of the horse and buggy. It was the PRODUCTION line invented by Henry Ford in 1913... more than 80 years after THE INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION was over. The PRODUCTION line allowed gas cars to become affordable to a much larger population segment. Cars made sense to people because instead of leaving at sunrise to go to town and returning at sunset via horse and buggy, people could accomplish that in less than half the time. Convenience and time saving. The car also allowed people to more easily travel long distance and many people by nature are nomadic and explorers.

a) how many of the people that participated in cults didn't think their "leader" was "someone who is trying to effect positive change on the world"?

Irrelevant.

b) most of the Tesla longs that I've communicated with also "consider [themselves] closer to an atheist"... i find that interesting.

Irrelevant.

Last edited:

My Model X from May 2016 had continental silent with foam in the tires, is it any different ?

9 dB is huge! For reference, what humans perceive as a doubling in volume is 6 dB.

My question is, what happens when you get new tires? Who fills the new tires with the foam?

upload_2017-7-25_16-20-48.jpeg

upload_2017-7-25_16-21-14.jpeg

I think filled might have been the wrong word. I believe it's like a neoprene foam on the inside of the tire on the opposite side of the tread so that you still up air in the tire or the ride would be bad? There was a whole thread on here somewhere about tires.

Edit: just read the 10 posts that explain better what I was trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.