Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The stock ATH = stock price ATH. The ATH SP (intraday) was $286.65. We are not there.

No need to conflate market cap and SP ATH.
here's an article from June 22, 2015 (ATH on July 2nd 2015):

Tesla Market Cap Hits Half of GM’s

TSLA's valuation is significant... right now GM's market cap is $56B... if TSLA were to continue to go nuts over the next 4 weeks... you can be certain there will be very similar headlines.

Tesla Market Cap Hits Half of GM’s

TSLA's valuation is significant... right now GM's market cap is $56B... if TSLA were to continue to go nuts over the next 4 weeks... you can be certain there will be very similar headlines.
It is amazing Tesla is less than GM in terms of market cap. Maybe we'll see that corrected this year, maybe next year.

Clearly, there is no buying interest in TSLA - the last 6 weeks have simply been the result of bull attacks on short-sellers :rolleyes:

And since these guys ("teslarians") are delusional, the run-up obviously has nothing to do with market realization that TSLA intrinsic value is higher than what it has been assigning to it for some time. <missing emoticon - rolled eyes stuck in the upper most position>

Well, TSLA SP is NOT at ATH, contrary to your post. If you want to make point about valuation (which you actually making all the time), you should not conflate it with ATH SP. You should (and I believe do) know better. Your post was manipulative and misleading.

And since these guys ("teslarians") are delusional, the run-up obviously has nothing to do with market realization that TSLA intrinsic value is higher than what it has been assigning to it for some time. <missing emoticon - rolled eyes stuck in the upper most position>
"Muskadets" may be the term you seek? ;)
Now, where's my corkscrew? :D

a
Well, TSLA SP is NOT at ATH, contrary to your post. If you want to make point about valuation (which you actually making all the time), you should not conflate it with ATH SP. You should (and I believe do) know better. Your post was manipulative and misleading.
speak of the devil (i hate these click bate sites... but they exist):

5 Stocks Millennials Should Buy in 2017

"General Motors
Tesla Motors
(NASDAQ: TSLA) may be the easy auto pick for millennial investors, but General Motors (NYSE: GM) is the better investment long-term. Not only has GM generated more than twice as much net income over the past year ($13.9 billion) as Tesla generated in revenue ($5.9 billion) -- in some ways, it's ahead of the EV upstart on technology.

GM bought a 9% stake in ride sharing company Lyft in 2016 and recently bought Cruise Automation to advance its self-driving car technology as well. So GM is already ahead of Tesla in the ride sharing business, and is arguably on equal footing in self driving technology.

Where GM has really jumped ahead of competitors is with the Chevy Bolt. The all-electric EV with a 238 mile range and price tag under $30,000 (after the federal tax credit) beat Tesla's Model 3 to the road and will likely have about a year head start in deliveries.

It may be exciting to talk about Tesla as a future power in the auto industry, but GM is far more established and is executing on a strategic shift that will make the company relevant for decades to come. For long-term investors, that's where I would put my money today.
"

But that's a "fake" news site, dedicated to a narrative. Hate to see old school outlets publishing what almost seems like a paid narrative by enemies of Elon. That's a long list: defense contractors, big oil, big auto, anything coal too the list.
"Fake" as in CNBC, or FAKE as in FOX? (A big tipoff is the number of "X" in the name; cf EXXON for one example) ;):oops:o_O

a

"General Motors
Tesla Motors
(NASDAQ: TSLA) may be the easy auto pick for millennial investors, but General Motors (NYSE: GM) is the better investment long-term. Not only has GM generated more than twice as much net income over the past year ($13.9 billion) as Tesla generated in revenue ($5.9 billion) -- in some ways, it's ahead of the EV upstart on technology.

GM bought a 9% stake in ride sharing company Lyft in 2016 and recently bought Cruise Automation to advance its self-driving car technology as well. So GM is already ahead of Tesla in the ride sharing business, and is arguably on equal footing in self driving technology.

Where GM has really jumped ahead of competitors is with the Chevy Bolt. The all-electric EV with a 238 mile range and price tag under $30,000 (after the federal tax credit) beat Tesla's Model 3 to the road and will likely have about a year head start in deliveries.

It may be exciting to talk about Tesla as a future power in the auto industry, but GM is far more established and is executing on a strategic shift that will make the company relevant for decades to come. For long-term investors, that's where I would put my money today.
"

You got to be kidding me - why post a link (to nonsense) if you hate klick baits?

Snap1.png

a

speak of the devil (i hte these click bate sites... but they exist):

"General Motors
Tesla Motors

"
As a millennial myself - no traditional automaker - especially GM and what they did to the EV revolution nearly 20 years ago, will ever see a penny of my investment dollars on the long side as long as they stay mired in their old ways. I might support Honda or Toyota if they pull their head out of their rear and actually make steps to build compelling EVs and stop killing the planet with ICEVs.

Tesla, and really any of Elon's companies, are the only companies I have interest in investing in, beyond just as a way to grow wealth. Sadly, Tesla is the only publically traded one.

I also had market cap and valuation as a concern. However if the market really cared about it, TSLA would not be at 2/3 of GMs market cap Today. Clearly the market is pricing a large premium for the Tesla brand, growth rate, and unparalleled vision. The market may ultimately consider Tesla to be worth more than GM in the near future based on these same considerations. If GM is viewed like Kodak, then Tesla's value should be Much Much higher even ignoring Tesla Energy. Now perception and circumstances can of course change and then this may not occur. But in the current environment I don't think people care so much about restricting Tesla's market cap based on a dinosaur like GM.

I peRsonally wouldn't mind a little more skepticism of tesla at the moment- it keeps them focused and Elon does best when people are betting against him. That is a fact.

It seems that we are starting to witness a price war in the Solar+Storage space. AES signed contract with Kaua'i Island Utility Cooperative (KIUC) for a PPA at $0.11/kWh backed up by 28MW solar array paired with 20MW, 100MWh battery system. This compares with $0.145/kWh PPA with SolarCity, however SoarCity pricing is for the system installed by the end of 2016, while AES contract is for the system to be installed two years later, by the end of 2018.

The implications of this are pretty significant, as at these prices the market for dispatchable solar energy (and energy storage) can explode.

I also had market cap and valuation as a concern. However if the market really cared about it, TSLA would not be at 2/3 of GMs market cap Today. Clearly the market is pricing a large premium for the Tesla brand, growth rate, and unparalleled vision. The market may ultimately consider Tesla to be worth more than GM in the near future based on these same considerations. If GM is viewed like Kodak, then Tesla's value should be Much Much higher even ignoring Tesla Energy. Now perception and circumstances can of course change and then this may not occur. But in the current environment I don't think people care so much about restricting Tesla's market cap based on a dinosaur like GM.

I peRsonally wouldn't mind a little more skepticism of tesla at the moment- it keeps them focused and Elon does best when people are betting against him. That is a fact.

Assessing TSLA's Market Cap as a comparison to GM's or F's, or TM's or anyone else's, is a classic case of reasoning by analogy instead of by first principles.

Interesting information (IMO) about Lipo Cells using Graphene.

Two Notes:
Turnigy are known for their abysmal quality control.

Lipo is known for being unsafe, poor cycle life, and high C-rates.

OTOH what sounds like the successful use of Graphene is probably a significant advance.

Turnigy Graphene - RC Groups
It looks like the next generation of Lipo’s will be arriving soon.

(based on my tests)
Are you ready for the possibility of:
>900 flights? 3/10/2016 update: @ 1106 cycles
<20% loss of capacity at 900 cycles?
Basically no loss in IR rating after 900 cycles?
Perhaps no more puffed packs?

Back in early December 2015, I was asked by Hobby King to do another round of testing on a battery line, this time on a new lipo line that they were considering releasing in February or March 2016. My contact was adamant about me not being a shill (I was thinking… I WOULD NEVER). Instead, he insisted that I call it as it is (always do). If they are a flop be honest and say it (I will).

His next email had a picture of the packs and I immediately got excited. Why? They had the word Graphene on the label. He did not mention that yet.
I don’t know how much you know about graphene but this is (may) be the next BIG thing the semiconductor industry (and many others) is waiting on (the semiconductor industry is my 9-5 job).
Graphene has also been known in all industries as being almost impossible to use. Well, up to a few years ago anyhow. Engineers have since figured out how to apply it to many applications but can it be done cost efficiently?

A few weeks later I received some 4S 1300 packs. I frowned some when I looked closely at the shrink wrap around the cells. It was not the typical PVC that I am used to and I resist change. Instead, it resembled the smaller black shrink we use around our wiring. Measurements showed it to be 13 thousandths of an inch thick (.013) and a dull, sorta satin, black. Just like our tube heat shrink. (.010 on my 3/16” heat shrink)
wink.gif
Over a month later I can honestly say that I LOVE THIS SHRINK. It is more resistant to hanger rash too.

I also noticed these carried more weight and were slightly larger than my other 4S 1300 packs. My scale showed these to be .3750 pound / 6oz / 170 grams.

L = 2.93” / 74.4 mm
W = 1.35” / 34.2mm
H = 1.43” / 36.3mm

I have the Wayne Giles IR tool so I tested IR and V of every pack. All came in at 31C to 33C but I have to admit the temps were not verified. True IR testing must be in a lab type environment at 72F for 2-3 hours for the most accurate readings. WOW, that is some low IR.

I charged pack #1 up on my PL8 at 5 amps and all cells sat at 4.20. OK, no biggie, seen that before.
I then set my PL8 to discharge at 30 amps (23C; the most my PL8 would discharge into my lipo source) down to 3.6 volts so it will cut off when the first cell touches 3.6 volts. I began the regenerative discharge into my 7S5P and she held 30 amps all the way down. That is a 2:10 discharge cycle.
cool.gif
I also noticed all cells were within .01 of each other during this discharge. OK, did not expect that one.
Pack temp was 107 but I do not recall ambient though it was around 75F for a high that day. I was expecting more heat.

Next up was another charge and a slow discharge down to 3.0 volts at 1 amp. All packs delivered 1280 to 1290mah; that’s a 1300mah pack in my books.

I now have (are you ready for this) more than 897 cycles on this pack; I call it pack #1. You know the saying “If it’s too good to be true…” This is the real deal guys and gals.

Anyone that knows Lipo’s will ask how the capacity is now after >900 cycles (20 more cycles are running as I type this). Well, a few nights ago I let the pack soak in my 72F house and the IR was 29. That’s right, basically NO LOSS of C rating at cycle 729. Really? Yulp, and the IR has been holding around there the whole time. The worse I had tested at 27C but the pack was at 68F based in my IR thermometer. Too low, I know, but I wanted to fill in my spreadsheet. Remember, IR is directly affected by temperature and it isn’t linear in temperature or between packs.

Next up you should be asking about the true capacity now. Well, are you sitting down yet? At cycle 894, again at a 1 amp draw down to 3.0 volts, I got 1109 out. That is still 85% capacity. Really? We always say a lipo is pretty much gone when we lose 20% capacity. Usually with this loss we have a loss in IR but I have not seen this…yet.

OK… so I abused this pack on one flight in my stock EDF Meteor. Amps stated at 52 and ended up at 47 as the cells neared 3.4. Oh, that was on cycle 504. Really? Pack temp was only a bit higher than my 30 amp discharges and I recorded 127F one minute after my 60 second flight.

I am continuing to run 23C cycle life tests in the coming weeks. If the true capacity drops below 80% but it still dishes out the amps, I will keep going. I will retire this pack when the IR goes up to a point where the amp delivery is worthless. Hopefully I will not be Rip Van Winkle’s age when that happens.

"Graphene 4S 65C 1300 = 175g. Energy density = 4 x 1.3 x 3.7 / 175 = 110Whr/kg"

More information on the amazing single layer of atoms we call Graphene:
The 10 strangest facts about graphene | ZDNet
When first discovered, graphene was odd. Now odd is too small a word for a material seemingly set on winning all the records a material can win.

In the first part of our series, we looked at what graphene is and how it was discovered. In part two, we explored the different techniques we can use to make graphene.

But what is it that makes this material so remarkable? Here are 10 of the strangest facts about graphene.

1. Strength
"The most amazing thing to me about graphene is its strength. This is a sheet of atoms that you can pick up. That blows my mind."

So says Professor James (Jim) Tour of Rice University in Texas, and who are we to argue with that? A sheet of atoms that you can pick up: say it out loud to yourself a couple of times.

Everyone you ask about graphene's amazing properties says the same thing: it is really hard to pick one feature when the material is so astonishing. So let's consider a few more of them.
<snip>
4, 5 & 6. Best at electricity
And in case that doesn't impress you, Manchester University's Dr Leonid Ponomarenko points out that graphene also has "the highest current density (a million times that of copper) at room temperature; the highest intrinsic mobility (100 times more than in silicon); and conducts electricity in the limit of no electrons". Which means it can carry more electricity more efficiency, faster and with more precision than any other material.
<snip>

• Informative
Reactions: Yoda101 and TMSE

Similar headlines? Since when did GM get into Energy Storage business, battery manufacturing business, solar business, Uber business, autonomous driving business?

Fact is, Tesla is more than just an auto company now. You have to combine and add the valuations of all the above mentioned businesses to get a more fairer evaluation.

Tesla should be somewhere in the ball park of 100B and if all sectors succeed, it should be given an Apple/Amazon type valuation

Reactions: madodel
a

"General Motors
Tesla Motors

"

GM stole $10k from me in 2009. It is doing much better now but did it pay me back? Nope. Just pocketed the money. So, why the hell would this company with history of BK, be good for long term millennial investors?

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Status
Not open for further replies.