Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if Apple has been working with Foxconn/CATL and announce 5 Gigafactories this week w/ start of production in 2019 and full scale by 2022?

In China? Because they certainly arent doing it here. You would know if they where breaking ground on those factories in the US. Again, its one thing to plan to do something, its a whole nother to get approvals, permits and break ground. Now if they where doing this in China, it would be for a Chinese consumer. I dont see China exporting large amounts of batteries before they get their own issues fixed. I would guess if something on this scale was being done in China, it would be storage and not cars. China's main issue is not global warming, it is that they cannot breath. It doesnt matter how hot it is or how high the oceans are going to be in a decade if you are choking to death from soot today. In some places, they cannot even leave their homes for long periods of time. They could definitely do something like what they did with solar only for batteries, it would more then likely be storage to combine with solar before automotive, only because its much simpler and more benefits for less cost. Building cars is hard, building stationary batteries is hard as well, but not nearly as hard. Aside from diesel, modern cars are much cleaner then coal fired power plants. Either way, China will not be exporting 100's of GWh of batteries for a decade at the earliest and maybe never. By the time they build enough batteries for China, they will be ready to replace them. In terms of vehicles, China seems to be focused on buses and small 2 wheel electric scooters and 4 wheel electric golf cart sized cars. This is a very bottom up approach and Tesla and its competitors would be more of a top down approach, attacking margin first and foremost as they move down the food chain to more mass market cars. If anything, China and Tesla should meet somewhere around the Corolla price point in 5 years with several Terafactories in China, Europe, India and the US.

Also, Apple has never built a car. If they intended to, they should buy someone outright, because starting from scratch is a 10 year plan, not a 2 year one. Just ask Elon how much fun it is to build cars from nothing. Tesla's first mover advantage might be that it has captured the momentum, once they have that momentum its hard to slow Tesla down. They have the people, they are motivated, its not a start up anymore and people can see the light at the end of the tunnel. For years, im sure they had fears of failure, but everyday they further solidify their future by building a lead that might just be insurmountable in our lifetimes.

If anything Apple would try to buy Tesla. No legacy automaker is clean enough to bother with. They would have to wait for one to go into bankruptcy to clear out the terrible mess and contractual obligations to legacy suppliers, pensions and of course there are the Unions. Lucid, FF and any of these other jokers are not further along then Apple with nothing. It only takes 60 guys 6-9 months to build what FF and Lucid has. This was Tesla 10 years ago. Granted, Apples money could speed that up by 5 years, but by then, Tesla will have built a bigger gap. Apple could cut that gap in half again in 5 more years, but... there would still be a sizable gap. It kind of reminds me of the Iphone vs Samsung. Samsung is someways is a better phone, but not enough stop people from overpaying for an Iphone and giving apple a huge premium in terms of gross margins/profits, while Samsung still continues to try to catch up. Samsung always seems a couple steps behind and they dont have the pricing power Apple does. This is the future I see for Tesla and its competitors.

If Apple was smart, they would partner with Tesla to build an iModel3 and iModelY. I know its not their style, but why build all this autonomous software if you dont have a car to put it in that meets Apples standards. Are they really going to put their software into a Bolt or a Leaf? Google would, but not Apple. Then again, the new VW iBug looks like an old school iMac.

A lot could be gleaned from Tesla patents, but reading through them is long and arduous process. You can start with this one, just to get overall 101 on construction of the Tesla battery pack.

Regarding the cells, it is most definitely not a generic cell. The only generic part is the format. Telsa battery management system (BMS) is designed for a specific cell. It is not Tesla buying Samsung generic cell and then designing the pack and BMS to fit. It is the other way around - Tesla provided cell spec to Samsung. Then Tesla spec cell manufactured by Samsung can be used with the Tesla pack design and BMS.

As far as patents are concerned, they are **NOT** a blue print on how to build stuff. The patent is just a description of the principles intentionally void of specific details. There is huge amount of R&D work hours required to design and produce stuff after general principles described in a patent are formulated. And this process could lead to significantly different implementations, although starting point could be the same - a particular patent.

Exactly, Patents arent the exact recipe for Chicken Parm, its the a rough overview of the ingredients and the fact that they are combined to make a delicious meal. Just ask Payton Manning. For you nerds reading patent websites, he is a football player for the US NFL, not to be confused with Soccer which is not a real mans sport. J/K, I dont want to be kicked off TMC.

Credit rating agencies got this one wrong, Tesla deserves a better rating than junk, but their hands are tied with traditional credit methodologies that heavily weight EV/EBITDA ratios
+1

The Tesla specification cells, however, will be available only to Tesla, and this is only tip of the iceberg.
+1
the exact relationship Apple has with Samsung and many others (including batteries for iPhones)- the differentiation is at the product level and associated form-factors, management (software also key diff). That's the level that drives back down to unique cell differences (chemistry etc.). Manufacture of specific IP cell can be brought internal when scale/cost become primary--
Also note NVDA ownership of chips is only IP-design; they farm out all chip manufacturing (by way of another example)

That analogy is helpful, but Apple did not say, "All Our Patent Are Belong To You."
This is a mis-directed construct of strategy-
Apple's strategic success relied on suppression of speed others will follow/copy in an industry where others can and do scale rapidly.
Tesla' strategic success relies on inducement of the entire industry to follow their lead. And scale in behind them.
Patents provide almost no moat protection for Tesla - only IP

"ICE makers can purchase batteries from Chinese suppliers" has been a pillar of the bear argument
feed the bear it's own dung -
they can also buy IC-Engines from 3rd parties - why don't they?
Apple provides one of the best success story counter-arguments. They consume nearly all of the profits from the industry competitive playing field. Not because they manufacture all of it's parts and not even it's core (chips). It's because they own the entire vertical product design and IP- chips, form factor, hardware specs, software, service. When an ICE maker reaches that nirvana with an EV- they'll effectively compete with Tesla.

I now realize that I should have done a lot more research into Tesla's battery technology before investing in TSLA.

This was naive of me
, so I need to correct this mistake ASAP.

In the meantime, I estimate that 99% of retail investors in TSLA do not understand Tesla's competitive advantage around battery technology.

If anyone has any connections to Investor Relations, I would recommend a Jim Cramer interview with JB Straubel.

A Cramer interview with JB? Can't think of anything more useless. There are enough JB talks available to give you more detail onTE. Retail investors are not in Tesla b/c of TE.

Tesla isn't the first company to make li-ion storage systems. However they do seem to have a number of advantages in scaling them - both in raw cost terms and importantly software controls.

Given Elon's recent comments on GF not having enough capacity to keep up with Model 3 demand I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking to sign a very big contract with Samsung for TE supply. With size comes discounts - others won't be able to get the same price b/c their contracts will be smaller. Plus Tesla chemistry & performance specs won't be available to others.

Integration & software is an area where Tesla also seems to have major advantages. See how fast they got the system in LA running. This is a big advantage for these large projects as the earlier you can finish the earlier the payback calculations start to help justify the price.

They probably can, but who needs them? A couple of low-volume motorcycle manufacturers, Faraday Future, Lucid? Any others we are aware of?

Edit: I wasn't thinking of stationary storage, so I add to the question: do any of the storage competitors use small cells like Tesla? I thought they almost all used pouch or prismatic? But I don't know.

Your post/question is focused on the present. SP is about the future. It is correct that Tesla is the largest consumer of batteries today, but SP performance will depend on the future competitive landscape.

I don't see ICE makers or the companies you mentioned as credible competition today, but if Apple/Foxconn/CATL combo acquires, say, Faraday Future, whose design of cars some people like, then they can become a formidable competitor.

This is why it's crucial for Tesla to practically corner the market by supplying the surge in demand for BEVs quicker than Apple can build Gigafactories. This is why non-dilutive debt issuance was crucial. As Elon's comments during the shareholder meeting also show, Tesla has to build these Gigafactories as fast as they can. It's a requirement, not a nice thing to have.

I'm not too concerned about this potential competition, as it took Apple three months to send me my AirPods six months after release, but I try to think continuously about the long-term risks to an investment in TSLA, and this is one that has more potential than others.

• Funny
Reactions: MitchJi and Lessmog
I will address this post in detail, because I know a lot of TMC members share this view, and I have a different point of view on this.

A Cramer interview with JB? Can't think of anything more useless.

Cramer and other platforms/pundits have very wide following. How can it be "useless" to explain to retail investors a company's durable competitive advantage?! This is important and the reason why some (potentially) paid bloggers are attacking Tesla on these platforms. By shunning these platforms/authors/pundits, Tesla is doing a disservice to its mission statement when it can be using the platforms to tell its side of the argument. The fact that most retail investors know less than zero (that they know the FUD) is in part a result of this faulty strategy as it is a result of bears' efforts.

Tweets are helpful, for sure, but illustrating that JB is an insanely intelligent expert on batteries would go a long way to, not only explaining the company's durable competitive advantage, but also that Tesla is more than Elon Musk (i.e. key man risk is not as high as widely believed). Both of these are very important to the company's valuation and its future.

There are enough JB talks available to give you more detail onTE. Retail investors are not in Tesla b/c of TE.

I would encourage you to look at the view count on these YouTube videos and compare it to Mad Money viewership. I understand that TMC members are extremely knowledgable on these issues, but an average Joe does not spend their days and nights researching battery technology on YouTube.

Tesla isn't the first company to make li-ion storage systems. However they do seem to have a number of advantages in scaling them - both in raw cost terms and importantly software controls.

Given Elon's recent comments on GF not having enough capacity to keep up with Model 3 demand I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking to sign a very big contract with Samsung for TE supply. With size comes discounts - others won't be able to get the same price b/c their contracts will be smaller. Plus Tesla chemistry & performance specs won't be available to others.

Integration & software is an area where Tesla also seems to have major advantages. See how fast they got the system in LA running. This is a big advantage for these large projects as the earlier you can finish the earlier the payback calculations start to help justify the price.

I agree with your explanation, reasoning, and conclusion. They just need to be told to people in layman's terms.

Last edited:
That analogy is helpful, but Apple did not say, "All Our Patent Are Belong To You."

But, as @vgrinshpun ang @ggr hav pointed out, patents aren't detailed to that degree. They are intentionally written to be broad enough to cover anything reasonably similar enough, and yet detailed enough to be enforcible. The latter typically does not require exact specifications. Those are still trade secrets, and NDA's and contracting agreements can prevent contract suppliers from manufacturing them for others.

Furthermore, what Tesla has specifically said is: "Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology." This implies that Tesla still has the option of making a determination what "good faith" usage is. It also underscores that they aren't giving away product blueprints, but rather reassuring other companies they can use similar designs as long as they are playing nicely...

How does this innovation translate in the products where Tesla uses NMC chemistry?

The basic architecture of the pack is virtually identical between TE and TA. So the advantage is similar to automotive applications. You just need to be willing to look at the specs of the offerings from the competitors.

Over the course of the announcements of home battery systems from the competitors I analyzed cost, and volumetric/gravimetric density and Tesla PowerWall invariably was superior than each and every one of them, by a wide margin

Tesla is also far ahead of others in Automotive battery technology. The proof is in the pudding. The simple and integral manifestation of this is weight and cost parity with the direct ICE competitors for a 200+ mile EV.

Take a look at Model 3 vs. BMW 330i and Chevy Bolt vs. Honda Fit.

Short range Model 3 undercuts BMW 330i on price **without** any incentives and matches it's weight within 8 pounds. Majority of people will choose M3 over BMW 330i if both cars are presented to them in detail by a third independent party

Bolt EV costs twice of Honda Fit and weighs about 1000lbs (!) more. Very few will choose Bolt over Honda Fit if both cars are presented to them in detail by a third independent party.

This is ALL you need to know to conclude who's battery technology is better and by how much. This is the undiluted bottom line.

Last edited:
I agree that cultural fit is very important for m&a.

Why specifically do you not see Apple and Faraday Future as good cultural match?
If Apple gets into the vehicle business their play will be robotaxis. That's where the money is. That's where the whole industry is headed. And we already know they're working on "autonomous systems".

If they partner with someone to manufacture a car, it'll be a cute iCar-type thing that'll play your iTunes content while it drives you around. Faraday Future's batmobile has no play under such a scenario. Also vehicle performance is irrelevant.

The thing is, they're already 3+ years behind Tesla in this plan, but that's a separate issue.

screenshot60.jpg

Literally no one is building $5B battery factories. Until they are, it's all smoke and mirrors. There just aren't enough batteries and no amount of money will get you batteries in time to compete.

Indeed, and yet the permabears keep throwing around FUD about the all those competitor cars that supposed to flood the market in the next few years. While the reality is quite the opposite: instead of ramping up battery production to support their BEVs, they are getting rid of even the few existing in-house factories:

Nissan to sell its electric battery business to GSR Capital

So it looks like the car industry will introduce a whole lot of new BEV models in the next few years, but they are only planning to produce a handful of each to take them the auto-shows around the world.;)

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
The basic architecture of the pack is virtually identical between TE and TA. So the advantage is similar to automotive applications. You just need to be willing to look at the specs of the offerings from the competitors.

Over the course of the announcements of home battery systems from the competitors I analyzed cost, and volumetric/gravimetric density and Tesla PowerWall invariably was superior than each and every one of them, by a wide margin

Tesla is also far ahead of others in Automotive battery technology. The proof is in the pudding. The simple and integral manifestation of this is weight and cost parity with the direct ICE competitors for a 200+ mile EV.

Take a look at Model 3 vs. BMW 330i and Chevy Bolt vs. Honda Fit.

Short range Model 3 undercuts BMW 330i on price **without** any incentives and matches it's weight within 8 pounds. Majority of people will choose M3 over BMW 330i if both cars are presented to them in detail by a third independent party

Bolt EV costs twice of Honda Fit and weighs about 1000lbs (!) more. Very few will choose Bolt over Honda Fit if both cars are presented to them in detail by a third independent party.

This is ALL you need to know to conclude who's battery technology is better and by how much. This is the undiluted bottom line.
Tesla is the only manufacturer able to produce a price competitive electric vehicle. However, I am not sure it is only due to battery expertise.

From what I know of Elon, I am positive that every single aspect of the vehicle is being optimized. Look at Space-X dominance.

Status
Not open for further replies.