Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I dont know what "soaked" means in this context. If you buy the vehicle and your payment is 1200, vs 950 for a low mile lease, the later can make a lot of sense when you do not make enough to fully utilize the tax credit. I had this exact scenario, but didnt want the lease because I can use the full credit and I wanted to keep the car longer then 3 years.

I think you are missing the point. There might be better ways to spend the money, but consumers expect it and its a cost of doing business. Its not really an optional thing for someone who sells cars to people and even less so for Tesla over the next year or so while tax credits are still available in the US.

By "soaked", I mean the consumer is getting the bad end of the deal.

According to the Design Studio, for a base Model S, monthly payments over a three year lease (including the $6485 due at signing) are about $970. For a loan ($5k down, 6-year term at 0.99%), the monthly cost (including the down payment spread over the first 36 months) is about $1079. So buying the car is only $109/month more than leasing over the first three years. But after 36 months won't the leasee is have to cough up a significant amount of cash to keep the existing car or start another lease?

And can't Tesla let a third-party offer the leases so that Tesla can sell more cars?

By "soaked", I mean the consumer is getting the bad end of the deal.

According to the Design Studio, for a base Model S, monthly payments over a three year lease (including the $6485 due at signing) are about $970. For a loan ($5k down, 6-year term at 0.99%), the monthly cost (including the down payment spread over the first 36 months) is about $1079. So buying the car is only $109/month more than leasing over the first three years. But after 36 months won't the leasee is have to cough up a significant amount of cash to keep the existing car or start another lease?

And can't Tesla let a third-party offer the leases so that Tesla can sell more cars?

You cannot keep it, unless you want to over pay for it because of the tax credit. That is why I didnt do the lease. For me, the savings for leasing was must more substantial, but I would have had to turn in the car in 3 years and they didn't have 25,000 mile leases, so it would have been painful to turn it back in. But anyway.. Even if you are right, they are not so soaked when you factor in not being able to use the tax credit vs having the tax credit included in the residual value, thus lowering your payment.

Has Tesla indicated yet if they will divulge M3 production numbers for July and August prior to end of Q3?
While they could mention progress of the M3 ramp during the Semi reveal event, my guess is they won't, especially
if the Semi event comes close to end of Sept. Any word yet on a firm date for that? Thx

Sorry for the confusion y'all. This was all, because of Reciprocity's reply to Sudre's reply to 22522 (who's probably on many people's ignore list):
What I don't understand about the statement is the people who are buying a $27.5k or less car because it is the most they can afford do not make enough to get the full tax credit when you include the other deductions they have. So why have a $7500 tax credit in that case.

I don't know why you are going off on me, I only noted that a lease works for those without income to take advantage of the full tax credit. Pretty sure they are going to offer a lease option. It's a more of a consumer expectation, to not have a lease option would be a bad experience for the customer and Tesla clearly values the customer experience. They offer leases on X/S today, they will for the model 3 as well, it's a cost of doing business.

Yes, that's how a lease would help those who don't qualify for the tax credit (like how current leaf/bolt lessee's benefit). And I agree that Tesla will eventually offer a lease option, just NOT in time for those who don't qualify for the tax credit to benefit from it. I was pre-empting 22522's use of that thought process to justify _his_ position, which was whom my rant was ultimately directed to. Sorry for the collateral damage.

Excuse me, but I've been waiting since 2012 for a cheaper, long range EV. I'm still on an ICE, yet I'm supposed to sit here and let other Tesla owners get a Model 3 before me because the company wants to make more money? That's not Elon's/Tesla's mission, the point is to transition as fast as possible to EVs. I don't mind how they are doing the ramp up now, but I except them to allow me to buy one at base price soon since they've been talking about for 3 years now a price of $35,000....which they say will be Jan-Mar.

And no, I don't need the tax credit to afford the car, I just need the base price they've talked about....that's the number I've been anticipating.

My issue was with 22522 who was expecting Tesla to sell their base model ASAP, before they have full production (thus at a loss) just so that he can take the tax break.

And I agree that Tesla will eventually offer a lease option, just NOT in time for those who don't qualify for the tax credit to benefit from it.

That would be dumb, because it would be the single best reason for Tesla to offer a lease. Maybe the only good reason according to you. You do realize that you can lease a Model S or X today right? Each one is worth 3+ Model 3's. Does Tesla have better things to do with that money as well? I wonder, oh I wonder why they offer the lease.... hrm.. maybe because consumers want it.

The $7500 tax credit will more then likely drop to $3,750 on July 1, 2018 or in one year. The smaller batter will more then likely be offered starting around Oct-Nov. 2017. The 7-8 months between those two dates are the critical time for Tesla to offer a lease and less and less important after July 1, 2018. So I dont think I agree with you. Still.

During that time roughly 50,000 Model S/X will be sold in the US and potentially 230,000 Model 3s or just under 5x. Most will not need a lease to take advantage of the full credit, but for the ones that do, the lease is the only option. I am pretty sure that If I can figure out, Tesla can to.

Any reason Tesla couldn't partner with a 3rd party leasing bank to take on these leases instead of Tesla handling it internally?
Sure, but they still will need to subvene money factor and/or residual value. Thus the most attractive deals will still hit the P&L for money factor and contingent liabilities for money factor. These may be minimal now but periodically residual value hits are enormous. BMW once lost ~15,000 per unit on 750 leases when a redesign hit. That is not unusual.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchJi
Status
Not open for further replies.