Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems the country is going through a transformation. No longer are prominent males/females able to hide their predatory behavior; it is uncivil. This is a civil forum despite uncivil behavior by some of our leaders. An excuse for them, maybe, but not the behavior or words members expect from the Tesla family.

What is civility is also an opinion. Were the comments deleted from me on a similar level of Weinstein level literal hands-on aggression? Do I have power over other commenters?

Goofy.

It seems the country is going through a transformation. No longer are prominent males/females able to hide their predatory behavior; it is uncivil. This is a civil forum despite uncivil behavior by some of our leaders. An excuse for them, maybe, but not the behavior or words members expect from the Tesla family.

Not everyone is a blood member. Some dress up like the family to mingle and incite dissension in hopes the real family leaves and the weasel can then steal food off the table.

Installation on Elon's house was announced August 3, 2017. That is not one year more like less than 3 months, do you have a source for your non-functional claim? Elon Musk is one of the first customers of Tesla’s Solar Roof
I admit, I don't know if the one on Elon's roof is connected and works. It is my guess that it isn't producing anything, since solar roof as shown in 2016 before Solarcity merger was a total mock up, and it is in pilot production till end of this year. So, it's my guess. I have no proof. When any other customers who is not a company executive or major investor gets it, I think the chance gets high that it is working.
Elon Musk Oversold Solar Roof To Analysts Long Before Product Was Ready

The average is 47 cents per kWh as of August http://www.afr.com/news/australian-households-pay-highest-power-prices-in-world-20170804-gxp58a During the latest shortage, the kWh price went up to $2 a kWh see post 30187 above.
That is indeed high. I can't read that link for free, but I found similar link here. It seems the free energy market and ability to choose your electricity provider has increased distribution costs (56%?) too much. I don't know how exactly this works in Australia. If each power company provides its own lines to each customer's house, it can indeed become expensive. I think, the PUC controlled monopolistic utility system, as in most places in the world, is more efficient. Although, here in California, peak time rates in summer are as high as $0.45/KWh.

The capital area in Australia has much lower price. May be lot of price gouging going on in SA.
Highest electricity prices in the world are in Australia

aus_elec_prices.JPG

The contract was based on the interconnection agreement with the utility. Your solar operated under a preexisting agreement, the connection is a separate thing entirely. Hence why the battery event was powered by the batteries, they are not yet connected to the grid.

The public tweet (shown in the video) says 100 days is from contract signed.
100days_or_free_tweet.JPG

On July 6 (or 7, based on time zone), people thought 100 days from that date, when contract was signed. Nothing about interconnection agreement. Contract already detailed payment & other terms, so the project could start right after that. No need to wait for the connection.
Tesla Wins Contract for South Australia Energy Storage Project
On July 6 2017 said:
“We actually insisted when doing the contract that we be held to the 100 days or it’s free,” Musk said. “That’s what we said publicly, that’s what we’re going to do.”

Should the project be up and running “in the next 100 days, it would likely be the world’s largest lithium-ion battery,” said Simon Habart, a Hong-Kong based research analyst with Bloomberg New Energy Finance. "The competition for primacy will be tight, as projects of similar size are rapidly springing up in Australia, Canada and Japan."

Tesla Energy simply isn't the Tesla investment story. Elon bought Solar City because he could and eliminated some negative overhang for him. I voted against it, and I was right. Tesla Energy won't ever exceed 10% of the market valuation of this company, because it's dumb in conception. This company is valued by the prospect of higher-than-average margins in automotive with a potential kicker to Transportation as a service. I literally think those of you that drag yourselves inline with TE are Elon zombies. Solar has a future, but residential solar is a bad implementation of it. Battery support is valuable, but it's a commodity business. Most of you don't get this and I understand that.

What you really need to understand, but most of you can't, is that Elon is shooting himself in the foot with his autopilot claims. He has no idea what he's talking about on these issues. The turnover in leadership is strong evidence. There's no reason for Tesla to be making these dumb FSD claims, but they continue on. No one knows how to get to FSD from here.

I get a kick out of the fact that this is 10:1 negative now. Knowing how average people think, thinking differently, and being right are the three elements of winning, Good luck beating me. There's a few people here I have high respect for but the funny part is the rest of you are too dumb to notice who they are.

I get a kick out of the fact that this is 10:1 negative now. Knowing how average people think, thinking differently, and being right are the three elements of winning, Good luck beating me. There's a few people here I have high respect for but the funny part is the rest of you are too dumb to notice who they are.

Mod, can we bring out that frog?

please stfu or just leave..

Question on the funding for future Gigafactories GF3, GF4, etc.,

An integrated Gigafactory (batteries + car) could cost upwards of $10B in Capital cost. Is there a way for Tesla to raise nondilutive debt to fund all these future GFs without risking breach of covenants on existing debt?

I am no expert on this topic, but my simplistic thinking leads to a scenario wherein each new GF is incorporated as a separate, but fully owned entity of Tesla. Each of these new entities raise debt backed by the assets under that new entity. As govts around the world are eager to have a Tesla GF in their backyard, wouldn’t it be feasible solution to heavy Capex needs in future?

I don't expect subsequent Gigafactories to cost more than the first one ($5B, and only half is paid by Tesla) since Elon has a record of cutting costs while increasing productivity.

Also keep in mind that total cost is spent over many years, and the vast majority of the cost is machinery & tooling, so at the end. In other words, the vast majority of the cost will be spent in 2020 and beyond. Tesla will be fund these from internal cash flow and some non-dilutive debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.