Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For everyone complaining about how Elon is not chipper and providing clear answers... do you realized that is him coughing in the background, stuffed up and sick. Or maybe you don’t. Next time you should try to give a talk or conference call while you’re sick, and see how you sound. One’s physical health at the moment will always influence how confident one will sound.

For everyone complaining about how Elon is not chipper and providing clear answers... do you realized that is him coughing in the background, stuffed up and sick. Or maybe you don’t. Next time you should try to give a talk or conference call while you’re sick, and see how you sound. One’s physical health at the moment will always influence how confident one will sound.
Honest question; how do you know, it was elon coughing?

Yup. I was thinking more along the lines that Elon sounds pretty prepared and focused on this call for someone whose comfy 90 hour week schedule has been thrown into 9th ring hellish long hours for at least the past month. At one point he mentioned some pretty intensive/taxing work he’d been doing at 2am Sunday morning. I never felt more patient about waiting for my Model 3.

Honest question; how do you know, it was elon coughing?

Listen to their voices, it was pretty obvious. He was more nasally and soft spoken. JB sounded like his normal self. Deepak was his normal self, and while I never heard Doug Field before, he was very vocal when he needed to be.

Also toward the end, Deepak started fielding more questions, while Elon (who was probably right next to the mic) was coughing through the whole thing, and sometimes coughing louder than those speaking.

Don’t forget that it was Elon who was recently camping out on the GF roof. Nevada at this time of year is known for extreme weather conditions, and last several weeks were unseasonably warm during the day (90Fs), and cold at night (50-60Fs). Easy to get sick, especially if one is not focused on keeping hydrated and busy doing something else.

Listen to their voices, it was pretty obvious. He was more nasally and soft spoken. JB sounded like his normal self. Deepak was his normal self, and while I never heard Doug Field before, he was very vocal when he needed to be.

Also toward the end, Deepak started fielding more questions, while Elon (who was probably right next to the mic) was coughing through the whole thing, and sometimes coughing louder than those speaking.

Don’t forget that it was Elon who was recently camping out on the GF roof. Nevada at this time of year is known for extreme weather conditions, and last several weeks were unseasonably warm during the day, and super cold at night. Easy to get sick, especially if one is not focused on keeping hydrated and busy doing something else.

He also mentioned his having a cold or cough early in the call.

Nobody seems to mention Elon’s guesstimate in the beginning of the earnings conference call that the next 5 years would at least see x10 growth, maybe even x100 growth compared to the 250K vehicles growth of the previous 5 years. A back of the envelope calculation:
X100 is cumulative production of 25 million vehicles by 2023. Assuming about 100% growth per year, this means yearly production of >10 million per year in 2023. That would make Tesla the biggest car manufacturer in the world.

Didn’t I hear Deepak say (in the background) something about expecting a growth rate of 70/80%? for years to come (once they get the ball rolling on Model 3)? I’m sure I heard that. And this coming from people who have consistently under estimated demand for their products.

Antonio M. Sacconaghi - Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. LLC
Yes. Thank you. I have a question and a follow-up, please. Elon, you just talked about sort of this trade-off between growth and capital spending. And quite frankly, I think it's really the first time that I've heard you talk about that potential trade-off. Usually, Tesla's been all about doing as much as quickly as possible to lead the move to electrification, to establish a first-mover advantage, et cetera. So is the hesitancy in going all-out growth, is that a concern that you might run out of cash and have to raise more cash? Is that a bandwidth concern for the organization in terms of trying to do too much, too quickly? Is that a concern about using capital effectively? What's at the root of that decision? And why is there even a decision, I guess, is the question.

Jeffrey B. Straubel - Tesla, Inc.
I would say that it's probably a bit of both. I mean it's prudent for us to think through all of that as we are continuing to grow. Certainly, we want to be in a certain sense of fiduciary responsibility that we have in addition to just growing like crazy. So...

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.
I mean these are mad substantial growth rates for the auto industry. I think we made some comparison of Tesla growth rate relative to Ford in the Model T era, and we're talking about a rate of growth faster than the Model T, which is the fastest in history. So these are nutty growth rates.

It's really not the first time we've thought about this.

Deepak Ahuja - Tesla, Inc.
Yes. We have talked about that. And our growth rate, I don't recall the exact numbers, but I think it's been in the 70%, 80% every year. And next year even at 5,000, it will be like crazy compared to this year. So growth rate continues to be extraordinary.

Yes. Yes. Our growth rate continues that anything like that in the coming years I mean, if it continues to be something like that, Tesla will be the largest car company in the world by volume as well.

I mean, Toni, it may be helpful, it accelerates with new product introductions too. Model X reached Model S demand rates in half the time, so twice the rate of demand build, so not only are we growing but we're accelerating as we grow.

Yeah, exactly, Model 3 will be I'd call it five times – it will be five times Model S...

And if you look at the timing and it's order of magnitude shifts a bit downward. Yeah.

Yeah.

Tesla (TSLA) Q3 2017 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

Nobody seems to mention Elon’s guesstimate in the beginning of the earnings conference call that the next 5 years would at least see x10 growth, maybe even x100 growth compared to the 250K vehicles growth of the previous 5 years. A back of the envelope calculation:
X100 is cumulative production of 25 million vehicles by 2023. Assuming about 100% growth per year, this means yearly production of >10 million per year in 2023. That would make Tesla the biggest car manufacturer in the world.
you'd better hurry up and go get those shares then! weehaw!

are you kidding me?... you've been burnt how many times by this childish "hopey dreamy" estimation stuff... and now you're jumping in for the next round?

People are starting to take EM's guesstimates with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Matias
A bonus: Tesla’s growth rate is faster than the Model T. Model X reached Model S demand growth within 50% less time.

I find a little bit weird (stupid?) to compare a ramp of a car in 2017 to a ramp of a car in 1908... Apples and oranges.

I guess Model S demand is infinitely higher than demand for any car in 1000 A.D. as well, how about that? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.