Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt the change over to the newer cell format will happen with the S&X until they have the automation with the 3 battery packs well ironed out. Personally I don’t see them making the change in 2017, and likely not in 2018. Just my opinion though.

My original thought was end of 2018 or Q1 2019 with the final phase out of the credit. But now things have changed. What I was wondering in my original post is if they had this contingency in mind as it seems somewhat obvious. You maybe right and maybe something saves the credit, like it might be used as a bargaining chip to get a Dem vote. Also, why no mention of Solar credits?

Reactions: DurandalAI
From what I understand, the Panasonic portion of the Gigafactory is closed off to Tesla people, and vice-versa. There's still a lot of IP that Panasonic protects, and rightly so. Panasonic uses a chemistry developed with or by Tesla. The Grohmann group is dealing with assembling the cells into the battery packs. They could get the cells from Samsung for all they care.

As I understand it, Tesla would have to make a significant investment in time and money to manufacture their own cells. That seems to be a foolhardy move since cells are quickly becoming commoditized. Tesla's moat is in adding value to those cells by rapidly assembling them into modules for use in TA and TE battery packs.

Tesla will let someone else take the hit for racing to the bottom for making the cells cheaply. That way, Tesla isn't vulnerable to a breakthrough in battery tech/format.
Since you brought up Samsung, I think TE Australia project chose Samsung for a reason. Maybe instead of Panasonic sourcing difficulty, Tesla is throwing a bone to Samsung to make sure they ramp up, so there are as many sources for 2170 cells out there as soon as possible. IIRC earlier in the year when Samsung announced their 2170 cells they had a target date of 2019 or later for volume manufacturing. My hunch at the time is that they were shopping for customers to try to ramp it up. Guess who's the biggest customer for battery cells in the world?

Since you brought up Samsung, I think TE Australia project chose Samsung for a reason. Maybe instead of Panasonic sourcing difficulty, Tesla is throwing a bone to Samsung to make sure they ramp up, so there are as many sources for 2170 cells out there as soon as possible. IIRC earlier in the year when Samsung announced their 2170 cells they had a target date of 2019 or later for volume manufacturing. My hunch at the time is that they were shopping for customers to try to ramp it up. Guess who's the biggest customer for battery cells in the world?

...as well as hold Panasonic's feet to the fire and not let them get complacent.

Reactions: DurandalAI
short%20uscanada.png

Tesla Is Biggest Short in North America

From what I understand, the Panasonic portion of the Gigafactory is closed off to Tesla people, and vice-versa. The's still a lot of IP that Panasonic protects, and rightly so. Panasonic uses a chemistry developed with or by Tesla. The Grohmann group is dealing with assembling the cells into the battery packs. They could get the cells from Samsung for all they care. As I understand it, Tesla would have to make a significant investment in time and money to manufacture their own cells. That seems to be a foolhardy move since cells are quickly becoming commoditized. Tesla's moat is in adding value to those cells by rapidly assembling them into modules for use in TA and TE battery packs.

Tesla will let someone else take the hit for racing to the bottom for making the cells cheaply. That way, Tesla isn't vulnerable to a breakthrough in battery tech/format.

Your reply was thoughtful and may be right on some counts. Allow me to play devils advocate and push back on some of your comments.

1. Yes, the Panasonic portion of GF is closed off and maybe that has prevented nearly all Panasonic techniques from becoming known at some level by Tesla. My intuition is that with Panasonic working in Tesla's house and the partnership being very close, there may have been enough diffusion of knowledge the past few years that if/when Tesla wanted to vertically integrate battery production they could do so by working out there own specific manufacturing techniques with Grohmann leading the charge.
2. As to capex to do such a thing, once M3s are being built at 5 - 10K later in 2018, capital will not be in as short supply as now. Plenty that they will want to do with it, but they will have options open. Also CapEx for battery manufacturing lines is large but well short of cost for entire car assembly lines.
3. I'm fairly confident your comments re battery cells becoming commoditized are wrong in this Tesla context. The chemistry tweaks and physical changes Tesla has done have made their Panasonic manufactured cells the absolute top for use in best of class EVs.
TE getting Samsung cells for use in Australia does not prove Samsung can easily do the same for the different type Li ion cells used in Tesla vehicles. The cells that ARE becoming commoditized are Chinese company produced. Fine for lower end Chinese made EVs but not good enough for a Chinese EV at S/X level. As all here know, the European car companies are going to have to make do with second class cells for the next 5 years or more, since they haven't decided in time to make the investments needed to build their own first class cells. This is a big part of the moat that give the lie to bull claims that the ICE companies will catch up to Tesla soon.
4. Just to restate, I don't believe advanced Li ion batteries can be commoditized as readily as solar panels have been. That's opinion not anything I can support without a lot of research.

I'm not saying Tesla has plans to VI battery production in GFs which won't come online for 2 - 4 years and after, just that they could if they saw cost and profit advantages to doing so.

Tesla buys Perbix, Brooklyn Park-based maker of factory automation equipment

“Perbix, which has been a Tesla supplier for nearly three years and has executed flawlessly on a number of extremely complex automation projects, will be fully integrated into Tesla,” Tesla said in a statement. “Moving forward, we will be expanding our presence and recruiting efforts in the Twin Cities area as we continue to build the machine that builds the machine.”

Perbix has been working in a number of areas with Tesla, including making specialized tools that build drive unit rotors in its cars.

Haven’t seen it posted yet, Good review.

Really fun, informative and balanced review. Since he is not afraid to mention the few things he isn't crazy about among a bunch of things he loves, it is easy to overlook the punch line at the end:

"By far the best score yet for a car at this price level."

For context on his score of 68, a BMW M3 (E46) is rated 57, BMW M5 is rated 64, Porsche 911R is rated 66.

The Model 3 ties a MacLaren 650S at 68.

The only cars rated higher are all well into the six figures, except the Model X at 69. His top-rated car -- the Porsche 918 Spyder with a base price of $850K -- rates a 73.

Granted, his scoring is a little idiosyncratic but the bottom line conclusion is that this a great all-around car.

The chart is at 31:58 of the video.

Really fun, informative and balanced review. Since he is not afraid to mention the few things he isn't crazy about among a bunch of things he loves, it is easy to overlook the punch line at the end:

"By far the best score yet for a car at this price level."

For context on his score of 68, a BMW M3 (E46) is rated 57, BMW M5 is rated 64, Porsche 911R is rated 66.

The Model 3 ties a MacLaren 650S at 68.

The only cars rated higher are all well into the six figures, except the Model X at 69. His top-rated car -- the Porsche 918 Spyder with a base price of $850K -- rates a 73.

Granted, his scoring is a little idiosyncratic but the bottom line conclusion is that this a great all-around car.

The chart is at 31:58 of the video.
My only quibble was the low score he gave for the design. But it is subjective and at the end I finally realized the toughness of his scoring.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
My only quibble was the low score he gave for the design. But it is subjective and at the end I finally realized the toughness of his scoring.

He doesn't rate on a relative scale but absolute scale.

He doesn't comparie M3 against other compact-midsize luxury sedans but also against sports cars and hyper cars.

Yep, 73 is his highest score ever (for an $850K+ car that now goes for $1.7M used(!)) so obviously he didn't get the memo on grade inflation.:)

He is also as nitpicky about the Model 3 as anyone I have seen on TMC (does anyone really care that much about the steering wheel?) but his few complaints are more than outweighed by his enthusiasm for all of the pluses, which resulted in a very high overall rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: kbM3 and SunCatcher
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and Lessmog
Status
Not open for further replies.