Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About charging time:
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but is the speed of charging not determined by how fast a single cell can be charged. It does not matter if it is just one cell in a flash light being charged, or one cell among 8000; the rate of charge for each cell is the same. So, in my view this determines how fast one can charge either a single flash light battery or a 1,000,000W semi; the difference is just in the wiring.

Just want to clear up my language parsing.
Are you saying "the speed that an individual cell can be charged determines the pack charge rate"? (Interpeting statement as rhetorical question) If so, I agree.

Just want to clear up my language parsing.
Are you saying "the speed that an individual cell can be charged determines the pack charge rate"? (Interpeting statement as rhetorical question) If so, I agree.

Yes and no :)

Yes, the bottleneck are the cells. On the other hand you can do some tricks like putting more cells (or two 400 V packs) in series (so the charge current in each cell stays the same, but you get to a higher 800V pack voltage and thus more energy). Also has the advange of lighter charge cables.

Nothing would stop you then from switching these packs that are in series during charging in parallel.

Guess I now just increased the confusion ? :rolleyes:

On the other hand you can do some tricks like putting more cells (or two 400 V packs) in series (so the charge current in each cell stays the same, but you get to a higher 800V pack voltage and thus more energy).
No. Two 400 V packs of X amp hours in parallel or series is the same amount of energy and charge time is not affected.

Yes and no :)

Yes, the bottleneck are the cells. On the other hand you can do some tricks like putting more cells (or two 400 V packs) in series (so the charge current in each cell stays the same, but you get to a higher 800V pack voltage and thus more energy). Also has the advange of lighter charge cables.

Nothing would stop you then from switching these packs that are in series during charging in parallel.

Guess I now just increased the confusion ? :rolleyes:

Two packs in series only has more energy because you have two packs. Two packs in parallel have the same energy.
(2*400V*10Ah = 400V*(10Ah *2)

But yah, in series drops the charging current, which drops cable losses.
Boosting pack voltage also allows high motor RPM for a given winding..

Edit: @JRP3 types faster than I do.

Correct. Some of the tweaking of cell chemistry going on since the last energy density boost might improve cell charging rate some amount, but probably not by a lot. That tweaking might also allow charging at a higher rate than now without degrading battery life.

I don't think Tesla Semi has either an energy density or C rate design challenge. I think the design challenge is limiting degradation to enable enough battery cycles needed to do a million miles.

About charging time:
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but is the speed of charging not determined by how fast a single cell can be charged. It does not matter if it is just one cell in a flash light being charged, or one cell among 8000; the rate of charge for each cell is the same. So, in my view this determines how fast one can charge either a single flash light battery or a 1,000,000W semi; the difference is just in the wiring.
Thanks for the details. So, if I get this correctly, it is the battery chemistry that determines the charging speed, not the infrastructure or the configuration of charge ports etc.

Not exactly. How fast a battery charges has much to do with the charging voltage up to the max charging rate the cell can chemically handle. A good example is the way car batteries can be 'trickle' charged. It is the charging electronics that determines the battery charging speed. Tesla Superchargers are designed and programmed to vary charging speed based on how much energy is already in the battery. It charges the battery at the fastest rate Tesla wants to cell to be charged at (to avoid degrading pack life) up to some % and then it begins reducing the charge rate as the battery gets progressively closer to 'full'.
But yes, the battery chemistry is the underlying factor in how fast it can be charged, should be charged, etc. Note: If the amount of power demanded by the # of cars charging at a location is more than the location can handle, then those cars are going to charge more slowly than they otherwise would at a location with more than adequate power to meet the load.

Reactions: neroden
Someone should teach Bob about the S curve.

Bob Lutz knows about the S curve. He is just a jerk bad mouthing a strong competitor. He has been the Chairman of VIA Motors since 2011, and also he co-founded VLF Automotive in 2013. Both are EV companies. Of course he hates Tesla. I am not surprised media never mention that he is a competitor of Tesla.

I suspect he shorted TSLA too a few years ago. It's not going well for him.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Drax7 and elasalle
Something occured to me, and it may have already been mentioned, but I thought I'd throw it out there:

The name "Megacharger". I think the name has been chosen quite specifically, like the "Gigafactory". "Gigafactory" was chosen because the factory is the first to produce more than 1 GWh of batteries per year.

In the same naming scheme, it makes sense for "Megacharger" to mean it's the first vehicle charger to exceed 1 MW. Whether that is 1.6 MW, 2 MW, 2.5 MW or 3 MW, who knows? But at least more than 1 MW.

Status
Not open for further replies.