Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
<Snip>
If this is true, then your larger point about Trump being able to make a reasonable run at hurting the Mexico economy badly, looks to me like a method by which Trump can ensure increased immigration from Mexico to America. A wall or not isn't going to stop people who can't pay their bills and/or are desperate for a decent quality of life, to crossing that border to find what they're desperate for.

I'm in complete agreement with the conclusion - that our own security is aided and abetted by having neighbors with healthy economies. I'm really hoping we don't wake up in a few months/years and realize that we've been actively doing things to create an outcome, which actually create the desired bad results we're trying to get away from.
We've already made terrorism worse.

One of the best posts on this sad and ugly topic that I've seen.

I'm sorry that I could only give it one "Love"!

Last edited:
Went from low 30s in early 2013 to 190 in Sept., jogged down to 120s in November, then back to 240s in spring 2014. You could have doubled your money in a couple months in early 2013, sold out, and commenced to kicking yourself, repeatedly. Obviously, past performance does not predict future results, this is not investment advice, make your own investment decisions, etc. etc.
Thanks!

Don't you understand that "clean coal" is non existent? It's a complete scam. The coal companies tout it until its suggested that they implement it, at which point it's slammed as an attempt to kill coal. It's never going to be even close to cost effective compared to wind or solar plus batteries, even if it existed.

Clean coal means carbon sequestration. What's clean about mountain top removal or breathing toxic emissions?!

Again, we live in the double speak world. Clean coal exists because the people in the right places declare it exists. It works because they declare it works. Anyone that says otherwise is clearly un-patriotic and deceiving the public.

My comment was all about positioning and rhetoric. Any contradictions with facts you think you might "know" clearly only exist because you have neglected to adjust your world view to the proper alternative facts.

The way the game has to be played in this great new era is that whatever agenda you might have, you need to make sure it is aligned correctly with some of the new administration's stated goals. It does not matter at all if it also happens to contradict any other stated goals. Pay no attention to that. Now, I painted a narrative that actually manages to achieve various seemingly contradictory things... but are also fully aligned with the new administration's goals and therefore, can be achieved. The most interesting aspect of this new era is that the administration will fight all the parties and interests to achieve its goals and through sheer force of rhetoric, can make things happen. By being the nominal head of the Republican Party, and by beating the Democratic Party into submission, the new administration can set a course that is truly its own, even if that course seems to going in multiple contradictory ways all at once.

Last edited:
My understanding of things around immigration, is that people immigrate from places with bad economies, to places with good economies. That immigration from Mexico to America has slowed dramatically the last few years, not so much because jobs became hard to find in America, but because Mexico's economy was running better.

Besides being a reasonable way to look at things (you leave where it's uncomfortable / bad, and go where it's comfortable / good), the Syria example would seem to support this particular idea (namely, people fleeing an area with a bad economy and war, and going to an area with a better economy and a notable lack of gunfire).

If this is true, then your larger point about Trump being able to make a reasonable run at hurting the Mexico economy badly, looks to me like a method by which Trump can ensure increased immigration from Mexico to America. A wall or not isn't going to stop people who can't pay their bills and/or are desperate for a decent quality of life, to crossing that border to find what they're desperate for.

I'm in complete agreement with the conclusion - that our own security is aided and abetted by having neighbors with healthy economies. I'm really hoping we don't wake up in a few months/years and realize that we've been actively doing things to create an outcome, which actually create the desired bad results we're trying to get away from.
How about North and South Korea as the DMZ is pretty tight. What's the rate of migration there vs US/Mexico

1) It's founder, leader, majority owner says the ONLY reason Tesla exists and its continuing mission is to address Global Warming for the human race
Wrong

"The overarching purpose of Tesla Motors (and the reason I am funding the company) is to help expedite the move from a mine-and-burn hydrocarbon economy towards a solar electric economy, which I believe to be the primary, but not exclusive, sustainable solution."

I'd suggest the bolded part above exists because of his concerns about global warming, and the solution is a solar electric economy.

This is interesting. So, Sterling's tweet "You ain't seen nothing yet" was not a happy one. @bonnie posted in another thread, that she has info from Tesla executives that it was a happy departure. Now, it seems some people (edit: I meant, Tesla execs) double spoke.
Autopilot team changes
The poaching also doesn't sound good for AP 2.0. This means, some more experienced Autopilot engineers have left the Tesla AP team.

You do realize that BOTH can be true, right? Of course you do. Sterling could have left on good terms as Bonnie stated AND taken proprietary information with him and since tried to recruit Tesla employees thus breaking his contract with Tesla.

Mr Musk's endgame is not addressing global warming but colonizing Mars. One could make the argument that exigencies for SpaceX are trumping those regarding Tesla Motors.

Interesting point about SpaceX. Is it true he is registering as SpaceX CEO in the White House meetings, not Tesla CEO?

Edit: In response to @MikeC, adding only link I could find, from Mark Knoller, white house correspondent, CBS news. DO NOT KNOW if it is his mistake, or if there was some official list.
Mark Knoller (@markknoller) | Twitter

pic.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
You do realize that BOTH can be true, right? Of course you do. Sterling could have left on good terms as Bonnie stated AND taken proprietary information with him and since tried to recruit Tesla employees thus breaking his contract with Tesla.
Well, to be more accurate, if the allegations are true: he left under supposed good terms, because Tesla was unaware that he was actively recruiting while still employed, and using Tesla facilities and equipment, and actively stealing information. To be fair, he is innocent until proven guilty.

Reactions: Turing
How about North and South Korea as the DMZ is pretty tight. What's the rate of migration there vs US/Mexico

The DMZ is a lot more than a concrete wall. Plus North Korea brainwashes its citizens and executes defectors and their families.

If only Trump could get Mexico to start doing that to its citizens, we could save $12-15 billion. Of Mexico's money, of course. /s

Well, to be more accurate, if the allegations are true: he left under supposed good terms, because Tesla was unaware that he was actively recruiting while still employed, and using Tesla facilities and equipment, and actively stealing information. To be fair, he is innocent until proven guilty.

I was accurate. I said 'can' and 'could'. I did not say 'is' or 'was'.

He could have also left on good terms having done a bunch of shady stuff (suit alleges he helped recruit while at Tesla and stole data/IP while at Tesla) that Tesla didn't become aware of until later.

Reactions: MikeC
He could have also left on good terms having done a bunch of shady *sugar* (suit alleges he helped recruit while at Tesla and stole data/IP while at Tesla) that Tesla didn't become aware of until later.

However it went down, I simply wanted to point out to our resident 'everything that happens regarding Tesla must be seen in a negative, shady, nefarious or other light' the obvious.

Reactions: madodel
The DMZ is a lot more than a concrete wall. Plus North Korea brainwashes its citizens and executes defectors and their families.

If only Trump could get Mexico to start doing that to its citizens, we could save $12-15 billion. Of Mexico's money, of course. /s
Of course isolationist policy may make Mexico stronger economically and more attractive for other manufacturers. And then there is that thing called growth, and Mexico's middle class might become a market in of itself. Trade goes both ways...

Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.