Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our estimable and diligent Blueshift has added two more SpCs to the SpC.info map. Given the time zones they're in, I'm not buying that they were turned on in the New Year. So, as far as I am concerned, they entered the world in 2016, meaning that the grand total as of the end of last year was a nice round:

800 worldwide and
340 US

Well done, Tesla!

Bat crazy:
Stanphyl Ends 2016 Up Up 31% Sure Of Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Collapse

Despite December’s increase in Tesla’s stock price, it sure wasn’t a propitious month for subsidy queen Elon Musk as President-elect Trump appointed a short seller’s dream team to various key cabinet posts, naming friends of plants Scott Pruitt to head the EPA, Ryan Zinke as Interior Secretary, Rick Perry as Energy Secretary and the CEO of ExxonMobil (!!!) as Secretary of State. Although I’m sure if the government subsidy were big enough Musk would happily modify the Model S to run on a 392 hemi four-barrel, we remain short shares of Tesla Motors Inc. (ticker: TSLA; short basis: $225.51; December close: $213.69) as

I continue to believe that it’s the market’s biggest single-company stock bubble.

Rarely does a month go by without a blatant new deception from Elon Musk, and December was no exception...

<Snip>
<Snip>
So in summary, Tesla is losing a massive amount of money even before it faces a amount of money even before it faces a huge onslaught of competition, and things will only get worse once it does. Thus this cash-burning Musk vanity project is worth vastly less than its approximately $40 billion enterprise value and—thanks to that debt—may eventually be worth “zero".

A look back at last year's thread:
3,704,244 views of 52,011 posts. Phew.

And...guess how many of those posts this poor Mod read? :eek: Wouldn't it be grand if we can make the overall tenor of this year's even better:cool:

• Funny
Reactions: SebastianR and TMSE
A look back at last year's thread:
3,704,244 views of 52,011 posts. Phew.

And...guess how many of those posts this poor Mod read? :eek: Wouldn't it be grand if we can make the overall tenor of this year's even better:cool:
Easy for you to do.

1. Eliminate the many of the trolls who contribute nothing except endless replies explaining simple obvious facts and move those that are unavoidable to other threads.

2. Move the long repetitive discussions to other threads.

I realize that that would entail some extra work up front, but once th discussion is moved it will probably save you as much time as it takes and you could (should IMO) have more moderators.

It is good to see that AP 2.0 is being pushed out but according to Fred L. it may not even be up to AP 1.0 capabilities. That will come in 'early 2017'. I do hope this is 'very early 2017'. the SP will be negatively impacted if this is similar in roll out to the X roll out where a deadline (Q3 2015) was met with a few deliveries to be followed by a long lag before we saw any volume.

Tesla starts pushing new Autopilot 2.0 update: Autosteer at ‘low speed’, Traffic Aware Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning

As I said exactly 2 months ago, with MobilEye out of the system, this is really AP 0.5. Elon should start realizing that doing things take time, resources and hard work. A tweet is not the same as an actual product.
Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016
mmd said:
How about using the Occam's razor, that the sudden end of MobileEye-Tesla relationship has forced Tesla to redo AP w/o MobilEye in a hurry? To make it sound good, call the fresh start version 2.0 instead of version 0.5. We also don't know for sure, who has the right to the data collected using MobilEye systems.

IIRC, some questions were asked in the conference call. Elon said it is getting too technical.

As I said exactly 2 months ago, with MobilEye out of the system, this is really AP 0.5. Elon should start realizing that doing things take time, resources and hard work. A tweet is not the same as an actual product.
Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

You are lecturing Elon Musk on time, resources, and hard work? What a way to start off 2017.

What Tesla showed in the video in October is far away beyond Mobileye and Tesla has been working on it for a very long time. Musk tweets about the actual products and he certainly doesn't need anything from you.

Last edited:
On the subject of SP and delivery numbers, what would people consider the cutoff point between it being positive and negative news?

Meeting 2016 year guidance would be the logical answer to that question, I guess....

I know it's hard to predict and there have been times a guidance miss didn't hurt the SP much, or a beat didn't help much....

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Bat crazy:
Stanphyl Ends 2016 Up Up 31% Sure Of Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Collapse

Despite December’s increase in Tesla’s stock price, it sure wasn’t a propitious month for subsidy queen Elon Musk as President-elect Trump appointed a short seller’s dream team to various key cabinet posts, naming friends of plants Scott Pruitt to head the EPA, Ryan Zinke as Interior Secretary, Rick Perry as Energy Secretary and the CEO of ExxonMobil (!!!) as Secretary of State. Although I’m sure if the government subsidy were big enough Musk would happily modify the Model S to run on a 392 hemi four-barrel, we remain short shares of Tesla Motors Inc. (ticker: TSLA; short basis: $225.51; December close: $213.69) as

I continue to believe that it’s the market’s biggest single-company stock bubble.

Rarely does a month go by without a blatant new deception from Elon Musk, and December was no exception...

<Snip>
<Snip>
So in summary, Tesla is losing a massive amount of money even before it faces a amount of money even before it faces a huge onslaught of competition, and things will only get worse once it does. Thus this cash-burning Musk vanity project is worth vastly less than its approximately $40 billion enterprise value and—thanks to that debt—may eventually be worth “zero".

I've always wondered how he can claim being up so much despite being short TSLA for as long as he's been and never covering. He must've done phenomenally to be up despite losing on TSLA. That, or he hasn't factored in the cost of buying back those loaned shares and returning them yet?

Reactions: neroden
I've always wondered how he can claim being up so much despite being short TSLA for as long as he's been and never covering. He must've done phenomenally to be up despite losing on TSLA. That, or he hasn't factored in the cost of buying back those loaned shares and returning them yet?

2016 was probably a good year to short and medium term short-sell TSLA. He could have used aggressive options strategies and done it, but is unlikely to be successful using the same strategy for very long.

I'm considering him no better than some smalltime trader that may have had a lucky year.

Reactions: 3Victoria
I cross posted in both threads. It is both a 'discussion' piece of information AND it may affect ST SP of TSLA...yes/no?
"No", according to our moderator. It's not related to "Market Action", which I interpret as market wide events and/or forces which may affect TSLA, but it is TSLA related news which would affect TSLA, so this is the appropriate thread. I think, not sure, that "Market Action" would be for general market forces and their effects on TSLA, and, maybe, charting trends, candle sticks, Bollinger bands, and stuff like that?

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
Our estimable and diligent Blueshift has added two more SpCs to the SpC.info map. Given the time zones they're in, I'm not buying that they were turned on in the New Year. So, as far as I am concerned, they entered the world in 2016, meaning that the grand total as of the end of last year was a nice round:

800 worldwide and
340 US

Well done, Tesla!
If one of them is Moosic, PA (Scranton) it is on Tesla's nav as open as of 12/31/16 but someone checked today and it is still nonfunctional.

So, you're saying you want us to post even more frequently?
So:
You know how there is a "Free Parking" square in Monopoly?
And you know how pre-2017 (okay: pre mid-Jan 2017) Teslas have "Free Parking" at SpCs?

Good.

There aintagonna be no Free Parking here - nor its thread analog: useless, pointless posts.

And
Guess.
Who's.
Vying.
For.
First.
In.
Abuse.
Of.
THAT!

Most of his gain for 2016 is from gains in stocks other than Tesla, mostly small caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.