Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone seen the lawyers probing for $$$$
from an SA article link
http://seekingalpha.com/article/4057328-tesla-may-get-sued-autopilot-2-safety

6965821-14902342618627486_origin.png

An interesting note on FX... The euro is recovering a bit, up 2% from last Dec 31st. Conversely, the USD/JPY is down slightly, but still up from last summer/fall. Does anyone know how FX is recognized... is it only at the end of a quarter, or do you think Tesla pulls the cash back to USD from the euro intra-quarter? Clearly Tesla has to convert USD to JPY to pay Panasonic for the cells from Japan - how much flexibility do they have in terms of FX timing?

Speaking of Bolt, I'm going to this event tonight. In Florida. These cars should not be available outside the ZEV states, yet this dealer has 5 of them.

View attachment 219442
Not sure what to make of all the Bolts outside of ZEV states right now.

Is GM struggling to sell them?
Is GM actually making money on them when sold in non-ZEV states?

I spotted one in Ontario, Canada yesterday, so they're being delivered here too.

Reactions: StapleGun
Reactions: aubreymcfato
Now we're in much worse shape than we were inventing the Gulf of Tonkin, Shah's stability and WMD in Saddam Hussein's Iraq. None of those were errors by intelligence, but by their bosses.

In the summer of 1964 as a just minted Ph.D. I taught a class in American Foreign Policy at one of the U.C. campuses. At some point we got to the the fall of Mosaddegh and the reinstitution of the Shah's power. When I suggested that had happened because of CIA intervention (why I speculated on that I have no memory), all the students save one loudly protested, "no U.S. government would do that!!" The one objector was a foreign student from Iran who was an eye witness to known foreign collaborators who were orchestrating protests against Mosaddegh in the streets. He later got a Ph.D. under my mentor's eye and we hired him at my institution a few years later despite strong protest from active agents within the US from the hated Savak, Iran's secret police. (Incidentally, Savak was trained by a former New Jersey state police superintendent named Herbert Norman Schwarzkopf, not General H. Norman, but his father). Eventually my student, now colleague, was fired by the university when he renounced his citizenship to take the position of Iran's UN Ambassador in the brief period before, in his phrase, "the ayatollah's hijacked the Iranian revolution." He earned a death fatwa for his role in the secular government right after the Shah's fall. Previously, he coauthored with another colleague an article entitled, "Reporting Iran the Shah's Way" in the January 1979 issue of the Columbian Journalism Review just as the Shah hit the fan. The lamestream media attacked my colleagues--notably a blast from Time Magazine. My colleagues worried about their editors at the Review but when they called learned they were getting drunk on champagne since they had never had such publicity. Shortly after my colleagues got calls from many you know whos in Washington about what they knew.

That said, the November 18, 1979 article in the New York Times reports, if I remember correctly, the CIA predicted for Jimmy Carter the actual date our embassy in Tehran would be overrun, thus proving your point about the political bosses. (On the other hand, that prediction might just be another example of some bureaucrat covering his posterior, like the guy who informed the shrub in August 2001 there was a plan to use planes in a terror attack against the U.S. What is it Bush II said, "alright, you've covered your ass, now I have to cut some brush."?)

OT and, as usual, too long, but we really suffer from amateurs in elected office. So does the world.

Last edited:
In the summer of 1964...
Somehow I suspect we might have some interesting conversations. BTW, now that PSA bought Iran Khodro, as well as almost all of GM Europe it should become interesting if they deploy BEV's in IRAN. Given pollution problems in most majro cities they might welcome that and PSA now has three BEV's including the Citroën Berlingo, perfect for Tehran.

There is enormous potential for BEV's and alternative power there, just waiting for the right moment. Some people will make out very well!

Status
Not open for further replies.