Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. I infer that while TSLA may or may not have an advantage in large "yank tank" EV sedans and SUVs, it is a late-comer to the stationary storage market where entrenched competitors like AES not only have long-curried relationships with potential utility customers but also significant experience in owning and operating their own generation facilities and co-located stationary storage auxiliaries. YMMV
But where are the batteries coming from?

Reactions: SteveG3
Reminds me of the Food Lion story (originally Food Town) founded in Salisbury,NC in 1957 by three guys and their friends/family that invested $100. Most of the investors became millionaires except the one that bailed at $1000 to buy a lawn tractor- a VERY expensive lawn tractor!

(Or sadly the graphics chip company in the late 70s that I sold when it doubled twice - and it went on to double 3 or 4 more times. Rookie mistake!)

One thing I've realized in my short time in investing is that time is key. If you have enough time, and invest in quality companies, you will make boatloads of money. Here are some companies I invested in and sold with tiny profits or even at a loss in just the last year

Nvidia bought $30 sold $35
Netflix bought 90, sold 85
Facebook bought $95, sold 120
Tesla bought $155, sold $145
Tesla rebought $180... still holding
Nvidia Rebought 106 still holding

Had I bought the companies and just forgot about them, I would probably have made 2-3 times my initital 50k investment. Instead, I basically broke even.

Moral of the story, you believe in the company, buy it and hold it for 1-10years. I no longer sell. Instead I set target dates and will hold steady till then

Facebook doesn't require you to buy an additional piece of overpriced hardware to use their services.

I never bought into the GoPro hype. The barrier to entry was far too low and it was for a product of dubious mass market appeal. The comparison to Tesla is weak, and I am being generous here.

The difference is that Elon Musk isn't driven by money to buy a yacht or Bond-villain volcano island. If Musk simply wanted to go laughing to the bank he would have done so after the sale of PayPal to feeBay. Not pour every last cent into twin rocket and car ventures which everyone told him was financial doom.
from recollection... Elon took a $500m loan collateralized by stock about 2 years back?

The one absolute we know is AES's system will cost Kauai Coop $0.11/kwh and Tesla's will cost them $0.139/kwh; anyone can infer whatever they choose about that differential.

Yup... note that the SolarCity PPA was signed before February, 2016. The AES project was signed in January, 2017. The SolarCity Kauai Project was delivered in Q3/Q4 2016 using PowerPack 2 with cells made in Japan. We also don't know the actual costs to SolarCity, Tesla, or AES. We do know that the PPA rate from Q1, 2016 isn't really relevant to projects in 2017. We know that battery storage costs have been dropping. We know that Gigafactory sourced cells will be cheaper. And Tesla's own inverters are cheaper. It may very well even be that the cost estimates from Q1, 2016 for the costing of the PPA were significantly changed by the time the project was actually delivered (ie. more margin for Tesla) since the original cost may have reflected PowerPack 1 and 3rd party inverters. Finally, there was likely a double mark up (SolarCity and Tesla) since the two company's were not combined at that point.

Last edited:
Rationalize it however you choose. Are you saying TSLA is willing to run their BES closer to the ragged edge than AES?

With a difference of 21% cheaper for the AES kwh vs. Tesla's $0.139/kwh, which system do you think Kauai Co-op might dispatch first when the load is less than the total of both systems?

The main difference between these systems is, of course, *what year they were contracted*, which kind of renders any direct comparison irrelevant for the purposes of looking at competitive positions of companies. It's like using out of date solar panel price quotes. Both companies' prices have gone down since then.

You lost me.
Tesla owns the batteries, PV, etc. 100%
KUIC only cost from the Battery bank/PV array is cost of electricity $0.139/kWh
That is all I am saying.
I am asking are there any other costs to KUIC from other battery sources such as AES or is that one also only $0.11/kWh? and is there a contract in place? If you look at pictures of Island, you may note a bunch of PV, hydro etc so it's a mix.
rather than arguing is Tesla or AES cheaper, it would be more accurate to argue, are Tesla, and AES and other PV and hydro projects cheaper than importing diesel?
Tesla launches its Powerpack 2 project in Hawaii, will help Island of Kauai get more out of its solar power

note: 69 megawatt projects in 2015 and 129 megawatts in 2025
Renewable Energy Projects | Kauai Island Utility Cooperative

Reactions: MitchJi and neroden
Tesla is another example of Silicon Valley dream euphoria...
You should go visit the factory. Your problem is that you can't tell the difference between physical hardware and vaporware.

do investors declare market cap valuations as pointless because of AMZN... yes.
Amazon doesn't make any profits either. It is in a business which is, historically, the lowest-margin sector out there (retail), competes primarily on price, and has a software infrastructure which is not only cloneable but has *already* been cloned by multiple companies (Alibaba comes to mind). The only division which has ever been profitable is AWS and that is *also* cloneable with multiple competitors, some of which didn't crash a couple of months ago. Amazon is also extremely capital-intensive, with a gigantic logistics operation. Its main advantage is the natural monopoly / network effects advantage, and whenever they try to take advantage of it they get investigated by regulators. Worse yet, their financial statements are as cryptic and uninformative as Jeff Bezos can get away with, containing less and less information every year.

There is certainly a lot of hot money in the market chasing returns, from Facebook (a widely hated company known for manipulating its targets, I mean users, and surviving solely on network effects) to Amazon to even more ridiculous things like Snapchat. Apple at least makes a product people like, even if the difference between it and a commodity product is 100% fashion.

Compared to this collection of stocks built on vapor and clouds (some of which are, to be sure, good investments -- I'm not saying they're not) I don't see how anyone in their *right mind* could call Tesla's steel-and-rubber and gigantic factories "dream euphoria".

But where are the batteries coming from?

Apparently LG Chem and/or Samsung, possibly Panasonic

SDG&E and AES Energy Storage Unveil World's Largest Lithium Ion Battery-Based Energy Storage Installation | 02/28/17 | Markets Insider

I'm not suggesting anyone dump their TSLA shares, but if you believe stationary storage is a high growth segment, AES appears to be currently "best of breed." They were the first to grasp the significance of and exploit PURPA with respect to co-gen opportunities.

The one absolute we know is AES's system will cost Kauai Coop $0.11/kwh and Tesla's will cost them $0.139/kwh; anyone can infer whatever they choose about that differential.
Anyone in their right mind would infer that Tesla's project was contracted a year or two earlier. And woo, look, it was.

This is how it works in something like the solar or battery industry with continually dropping prices. That's literally all there is to say about that.

Hey, hopefully AES will do great. There's probably room for, y'know, TWO major battery farm installers.

Apparently LG Chem and/or Samsung, possibly Panasonic

SDG&E and AES Energy Storage Unveil World's Largest Lithium Ion Battery-Based Energy Storage Installation | 02/28/17 | Markets Insider

I'm not suggesting anyone dump their TSLA shares, but if you believe stationary storage is a high growth segment, AES appears to be currently "best of breed." They were the first to grasp the significance of and exploit PURPA with respect to co-gen opportunities.

The barriers to entry in packaging other people cells are low. It is like installing solar panels. Many competitors will enter and drive margins low.

You're going to have to do a much better job of making your case than citing extremely weak examples of overhyped companies.

This is not to say that Tesla is guaranteed to be a success, but if they change the rules of the game they have huge spaces in the economy to exploit.
I am sure, if you called Wedbush 2 years ago, they would have told you a story more interesting than yours, why GPRO would go to those lofty PTs. When you are in the hype, how can you tell if it is hype or not?
Last I checked, Tesla makes cars, electric cars that existed 100 years ago and billions exist in the world today. Tesla is not really ushering in a new age of smart phone. But I admit, Tesla has created a brand image, at least here in California. The problem is, its products are too expensive, and is supported by $10k rebates and HOV lane access in CA (to disappear in Jan 2019).

If you think Tesla depends on subsidies, you haven't done one single whit of research about Tesla at all.
The United States of subsidies: The biggest corporate winners in each state

If you, mmd, think that all of these companies are worthless subsidy hogs which nobody in their right mind should invest in... OK, then I will respect your opinion on Tesla too :)

You need to look at per car subsidy, as a percentage of the price of the product. It's not just me thinking. Check the Supernova effect in Denmark. Without huge subsidies, sales of electric cars (including Tesla's) just imploded. If people really bought these because they liked it a lot and because the product was appealing on its own, sales wouldn't have imploded like that.

Now wait for the same effect in Hong Kong. Expiring incentives pull in demand in 2 ways:
a) Pull forward demand from customers who might buy in the future.
b) Pull in demand from dealers, scalpers and possibly Tesla's own stores to buy cheap when they can. These will be sold later for few quarters at profit, till depreciation catches up. But those won't be Tesla's new sales.

We will see the Supernova effect in Hong Kong in Q1 and Q2. After that, be ready to see 6% of Tesla global sales vanish into thin air.

The difference is that Elon Musk isn't driven by money to buy a yacht or Bond-villain volcano island. If Musk simply wanted to go laughing to the bank he would have done so after the sale of PayPal to feeBay. Not pour every last cent into twin rocket and car ventures which everyone told him was financial doom.

Elon seems fascinated with buying expensive properties instead. Is he colonizing Bel Aire first?
Elon Musk Picks Up Fifth Multi-Million Dollar Property in Bel Air (EXCLUSIVE)
Visionary inventor and high-tech serial entrepreneur Elon Musk has big sci-fi dreams to one day colonize Mars. But for now, at least, the SpaceX founder and CEO and Tesla Motors co-founder and CEO will have to content himself with the private colonization of a particularly plummy pocket of the high-toned Bel Air area in Los Angeles where over the last four years, according to a variety of sources, resources and calculations, he’s dropped a staggering $70.3 million on five homes. Between late 2012 and mid 2015, the South African-born Canadian-American multibillionaire businessman, who as of today the bean counters at Forbes estimate has a net worth of around $11.5 billion, plunked down a total of $48.05 million for four properties perched above the Bel-Air Country Club. We now hear from always on top of everything real estate yenta Yolanda Yakketyyak, who back in February (2016) exhaustively chronicled the tech tycoon’s earlier purchases, that Mister Musk is, through an opaque corporate concern, the mysterious buyer who just shelled out an $24.25 million in a hush-hush off-market deal to acquire a brand spanking new ultra-contemporary spec-built mansion located on a high ridge above Bel Air. The newly acquired property, never listed on the open market and still in the final phases of construction, sits at the tail end of a ridge line cul-de-sac with spectacular views that sweep over Los Angeles and though is in close as-the-crow-flies proximity to the four other Bel Air properties he already owned it is not, however and somewhat curiously, contiguous to any of the other four properties, none of which are, even more curiously, contiguous to each other.

Last edited:

I don't expect that Tesla is the only energy storage provider. But it is likely one of the best. Samsung SDI's overall capacity will be far more limited than Tesla's. As is LG Chem's and others. One of Tesla's not-so-secret sauces is to utilize the demand of both long distance BEVs and stationary storage to de-risk the building of battery cell production. Plenty of Asian companies have suffered through demand drops and caused them to both bleed red ink and cap the investment into capacity. But by having low cost and high energy battery cells that are about to disrupt two different massive industries, Tesla is a leader in both.

In some cases, we might see AES actually installing Tesla PowerPacks. There's a bunch of scenarios where that might make sense.

I don't have any evidence other than Musk's hints for this, but I believe the Kauai Solarcity/PowerPack project is one of the big reasons why Musk chose to combine with SolarCity. While he did mention having to pitch the project to both board of directors as a problem, there were undoubtedly issues with projects like this as two different companies.

Last edited:
The barriers to entry in packaging other people cells are low. It is like installing solar panels. Many competitors will enter and drive margins low.
Yeah -- it remains to be seen how much of an advantage Tesla's aggressive vertical integration will give it over the "multi layer repackaging" business model with a "system integrator" buying parts from loads of suppliers each of which has their own profit margin and overhead.

I personally suspect it will be an advantage for Tesla, but it does have disadvantages too, so it could be the other way around. Whether vertical integration makes more money or less money has varied by industry and by decade, so it's not a sure thing either way. Complicated to look at.

You need to look at per car subsidy, as a percentage of the price of the product.

Roughly 0%.

Anyone with less than a certain taxable income in most states in the US gets nothing.
In China, no subsidies and a giant tarriff.
No subsidies in Australia or New Zealand or most of Europe.

The base price of Model S has actually been increased by more than the US federal tax credit value since it was initially released.

Oil gets bigger US subsidies as a percentage of the price of the product, from the submarket lease rates on federal land alone.

Military contractors who produce equipment that doesn't work are getting >100% subsidies on "cost plus" contracts.

You can't just look at countries which suddenly eliminated their car subsidy, because *obviously* people who were going to buy next month, or two months from now, will accelerate their purchases and buy this month instead. This has nothing at all to do with the long-run trendline; you just get six months or a year of sales crunched in all at once before the deadline. Then you go back to the trend. Denmark Tesla sales are back, you know.

We've had *multiple rounds of this* with the pending expirations of tax breaks for solar panels (which were always cancelled at the last minute). Vast amounts of demand was pulled forward into the year before expiration, the year after the planned (cancelled) expiration was low, and then the year after that -- right back to trend.

Next question? I don't think I'm going to get through your totally closed mind, but it's sort of fun demolishing your silliness.

I am sure, if you called Wedbush 2 years ago, they would have told you a story more interesting than yours, why GPRO would go to those lofty PTs. When you are in the hype, how can you tell if it is hype or not?
Last I checked, Tesla makes cars, electric cars that existed 100 years ago and billions exist in the world today. Tesla is not really ushering in a new age of smart phone. But I admit, Tesla has created a brand image, at least here in California. The problem is, its products are too expensive, and is supported by $10k rebates and HOV lane access in CA (to disappear in Jan 2019).

You need to look at per car subsidy, as a percentage of the price of the product. It's not just me thinking. Check the Supernova effect in Denmark. Without huge subsidies, sales of electric cars (including Tesla's) just imploded. If people really bought these because they liked it a lot and because the product was appealing on its own, sales wouldn't have imploded like that.

Now wait for the same effect in Hong Kong. Expiring incentives pull in demand in 2 ways:
a) Pull forward demand from customers who might buy in the future.
b) Pull in demand from dealers, scalpers and possibly Tesla's own stores to buy cheap when they can. These will be sold later for few quarters at profit, till depreciation catches up. But those won't be Tesla's new sales.

We will see the Supernova effect in Hong Kong in Q1 and Q2. After that, be ready to see 6% of Tesla global sales vanish into thin air.

Elon seems fascinated with buying expensive properties instead. Is he colonizing Bel Aire first?
Elon Musk Picks Up Fifth Multi-Million Dollar Property in Bel Air (EXCLUSIVE)
Honestly, 7500 on an 80k helped but wasn't the decision point.

Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.