Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can some explain this to me?

"During Q1, we raised $1.22 billion in net proceeds from the sale of common stock and convertible notes, including the cost of a call spread that increased the effective conversion price of the convertible notes to $655 per share."

Thanks!
They raised 1.4M and spent couple hundred millions to hedge against dilution at $325, pushing it to $655

i updated the table in the 2017q1 thread to show actual results vs. the various analyst estimates. i'm sure tamberrino is somewhere saying "who's the muppet now!!!"

considering results are worse than most analysts estimates on most measures, i'm shocked the stock has not moved much.

I was also surprised stock wasn't down more, perhaps in addition to reiteration of the Model 3 being on track,

a) traders waiting to see if Elon drops anything compelling in the call,
b) the 5+% drop the past two days from Monday's high already priced a larger loss in somewhat
c) shorts have yet to release their torrent of FUD articles
d) loss numbers are not taken very seriously with Tesla, particularly with Solar City being such a bear to analyze

Not sure what everyone was looking for. This seems like a very straightforward and for once predictable earnings report. The stock did not run over expectations of some monster first quarter. It ran over expectations for the the Model 3 and Tesla Energy. Those expectations are intact, and they will remain so no matter what is said today, short of Musk going on record that everything is delayed considerably...which he would never say. I doubt that the stock can go down much. There are still a lot of buyers that want in on this, and the story has not changed. Would not surprise me if this starts running again after friday's expirations.

Let's see what the CC says. I predict more of the same: no real surprises and a lot of irons in the fire.

Reactions: neroden
There seem to be a lot of one time expenses.

1) $26 million in warranty reserve increase for Takata airbag recalls and equipment impairment charges. Doesn't Takata end up paying some of that in the end, assuming they are still solvent?

2) $67 million of non-recurring charges related to the SolarCity and Grohmann acquisitions and the end of our work for Daimler

Unclear if that $67 million is included in this part:
Q1 GAAP net loss attributable to common stockholders increased by $209 million sequentially, primarily because of changes in non-cash items related to purchase accounting for SolarCity ($100 million), foreign currency translation ($35 million), net loss attributable to noncontrolling interests ($31 million), and non-cash portion of interest expense ($11 million).

• Q1 non-GAAP net loss increased by $108 million sequentially, primarily for the same changes in non-cash items described above except purchase accounting of SolarCity.

There was no offset with any ZEV credits, and "Net loss attributable to noncontrolling interests and redeemable noncontrolling interests" was down by $31 million. Interest expense also went up significantly.

It seems the core operations are actually doing quite well. Even with all of this, the net cash used by operating activities was only negative $70 million, down from $448 million.

i can't believe stock is not down more, must be as people have said - model 3 being on track trumps everything else.

my estimates were totally off. definitely not 2013 all over again. :(
luv please review and revise your projections based on this quarter. You put in an amazing amount of work and I would expect that revisions will only make the model better over time.

It is interesting to note how long it takes for some PowerPack installations to be built and then recognized on the bottom line. Clearly, for the 52 MWh storage project for Kauai Island Utility Cooperative (KIUC), the PowerPacks were built at the Gigafactory with cells sourced from Panasonic in Japan in Q3 and Q4, delivered onsite in Q4, but only considered "installed" in Q1. Even now, the start of revenue recognition hasn't started. That means likely PowerPack projects take 2-3 quarters to show up as revenue on the bottom line. Given that the Gigafactory was busy making PowerPacks ahead of PowerWall 2's in Q1, that production likely didn't yet show up to contribute to the bottom line.

The gross margin of 29.1% for energy generation and storage is interesting... would like to know the storage margins alone. Hopefully someone asks the company during the call.

If I just heard correctly, Elon said Model 3 will be about 80% of the specs of Model S. Makes sense with speed and acceleration. That would suggest the max range the Model 3 would be about 268 miles (80% off 100D range of 335 miles).

Edit: adjusted range calcs. A bit lower than I was hoping.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
Would you want them to even increase their losses by buying equipment they only need once a quarter ;) ?!

I guess you havent been listening to confcalls for 5+ years. Just listen to some of the analysts when they ask questions and compare to the towel-on-the-mic at Tesla. Elon & Co's conf room toy phone equipment and ambient noise has been an annoyance since day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.