Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iiiiiiinteresting.

So what do we think about the LLVM/Swift guy? Is his hiring a positive catalyst of the SP-moving variety?

Little if any stock effect would be my guess. Most stock analysts/traders don't understand what he's done for Apple. My understanding is that it's his project management skills that are particularly valuable to Tesla. That and his experience in developing the LLVM Compiler means he knows how to streamline the computationally-intensive tasks involved in AP's machine learning.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mmd and green48
Little if any stock effect would be my guess. Most stock analysts/traders don't understand what he's done for Apple. My understanding is that it's his project management skills that are particularly valuable to Tesla. That and his experience in developing the LLVM Compiler means he knows how to streamline the computationally-intensive tasks involved in AP's machine learning.

I doubt Tesla could offer him a better compensation package than Apple, so I guess he took the tesla job for the challenge and to do something he finds interesting?

So, I had his twitter page open when the repost occurred. Around the same time, he responded to @heydave7 who asked if he could confirm or deny the Bloomberg article that he's no longer at Tesla. Sterling said something to the effect of "Confirmed! Big news coming soon." The post vanished when I refreshed the page a little while later.

Did Sterling also say "You ain't seen nothing yet" in this context, as captured in screenshots above? Wonder what he is hinting at.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I doubt Tesla could offer him a better compensation package than Apple, so I guess he took the tesla job for the challenge and to do something he finds interesting?

Tesla stock options are possibly the best compensation package I can think of today.

Apple has no foreseeable substantial upside. For those who believe in Tesla, it's all upside.

This has me concerned that Tesla was not satisfied by the rate of progress for ap, meaning that ap timelines might suffer for a bit while the new guy gets up to speed. Or, it could be that sterling was out either way and tesla was able to secure a (better?) replacement.

The new guy certainly has his work cut for him. EAP is running behind and the first unhappy customers are already venting on the forums. As usual some were not properly informed by their salesperson that the hardware wasn't yet functional and that you really cannot trust Tesla timelines at all when they say 'expected in December' (it still says so on the order pages...) It's AP1.0 all over.

The real concern to me is that what some expected way back is true : that Tesla prematurely ruptured the relationship with MobilEye or even worse, that it really was MobilEye that pulled the rug from under Tesla. A few weeks late is too early to make that conclusion for sure, but if weeks turn into months before EAP reaches feature parity on production level, that wouldn't be a good sign.

The new guy certainly has his work cut for him. EAP is running behind and the first unhappy customers are already venting on the forums. As usual some were not properly informed by their salesperson that the hardware wasn't yet functional and that you really cannot trust Tesla timelines at all when they say 'expected in December' (it still says so on the order pages...) It's AP1.0 all over.

The real concern to me is that what some expected way back is true : that Tesla prematurely ruptured the relationship with MobilEye or even worse, that it really was MobilEye that pulled the rug from under Tesla. A few weeks late is too early to make that conclusion for sure, but if weeks turn into months before EAP reaches feature parity on production level, that wouldn't be a good sign.

Isn't it supposed to hit parity this week?

Yes. In fact, the missing post was in response to the last guy in that screenshot. Maybe he's going to head up Boring/Tunnels :)

It occurred to me the other day that whoever owns those tunnels also has access to the cheapest geothermal heating and cooling in that area. Musk could easily hit ANOTHER home run with this.

Isn't it supposed to hit parity this week?

No. Latest tweet from Elon indicated auto steer would still be speed-restricted to under 35mph. There was no further indication on when it would reach full parity. The order page still says 'expected end of December'. Tesla's been really sloppy on the communication on this one.

Last edited:
Iiiiiiinteresting.

So what do we think about the LLVM/Swift guy? Is his hiring a positive catalyst of the SP-moving variety?

Its a very positive sign. I know Chris from work. But this may take months and years to be reflected on the SP =).

I think its amazing Tesla is willing to take Chris as VP for autopilot, given he is a compiler engineer.

Its a very bold move, but a very good move IMHO. Chris will most likely build them a great software team which competitors will have difficult time to rival.

Panasonic Hosting Hiring Fair For Tesla Gigafactory This Weekend

15825985_845697552251388_1558799754708287469_n.png
"Must be willing to work 12 hour day/night shift"

I guess this is not a union shop...

Tesla's been really sloppy on the communication on this one.
Sloppy is not the right word. What would have happened to Q4 sales if Tesla told the truth that AP 1.0 will reappear in May 2017? I tend to think, this is more of a False advertising - Wikipedia .

Its a very positive sign. I know Chris from work. But this may take months and years to be reflected on the SP =).

I think its amazing Tesla is willing to take Chris as VP for autopilot, given he is a compiler engineer.

Its a very bold move, but a very good move IMHO. Chris will most likely build them a great software team which competitors will have difficult time to rival.

Indeed, it is amazing. Lattner had a hard time publishing any paper about LLVM during his PhD at UIUC, as it is not really anything novel. The only new idea he had for his PhD is this 'pool allocator', which no one knows about today. It is not even shipped with LLVM anymore, and no one maintains it. But he has the drive, and a solid footing in C++ and other languages. Is that what a VP in autonomous driving needs? Time will tell.
http://llvm.org/pubs/2005-06-13-PLDI-PoolAllocSlides.pdf

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
Status
Not open for further replies.