Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The model 3 capability that is missing is the battery price, and hence the gross margin. It will remain unknown, as that is tesla's core business.
that is definitely not my read of Morgan Stanley's and Baird's impressions from reading the reports - they both felt more announcements are forthcoming about the Model 3 (Baird indicated that management mentioned Tesla hasn't shown all their cards on the Model 3).

surfside

Republicans in the House are proposing sweeping corporate tax reform. Their proposals would effectively repeal the corporate income tax, currently levied at a 35 percent rate, and replace it with a new “destination-based cash-flow tax (DBCFT)” at a 20 percent rate for corporations and 25 percent for unincorporated businesses. The new tax would be border-adjustable – taxing imports and exempting exports. ....
To a first approximation, this will leave the level of imports and exports the same under the DBCFT as they would have been without the tax. Border adjustments alone should not be expected to change the trade balance. For all of the reasons, there should no expectation that the domestic price level will change.
<Snip>

Can someone explain this? This is like VAT is other countries. So, I make X, if X is sold internally, I pay the tax, if it is exported I don't? Doesn't that screw up all trading with other countries? It sounds like one would not want to sell any products locally, but export all of them??? Then no local tax is paid? So govt revenues only come from import duties and citizens?

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden

It doesn't seem like Sterling is gone. This just tweeted minutes ago:

Screenshot 2017-01-10 21.13.12.png

Can someone explain this? This is like VAT is other countries. So, I make X, if X is sold internally, I pay the tax, if it is exported I don't? Doesn't that screw up all trading with other countries? It sounds like one would not want to sell any products locally, but export all of them??? Then no local tax is paid? So govt revenues only come from import duties and citizens?

The actual final consumer ends up paying the bulk of a VAT tax, not the company that builds the product/service.

A VAT tax is applied when a company sells something or provides a service but simultaneously they claim a credit against the tax they paid when the company bought something (like the raw materials). The tax is only fully collected on the creation or consumption of value.

Canada's GST is a Value Added Tax ...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and madodel
Supercharger capacity tweet from Elon:

Elon Musk on Twitter

The last tweet says that supercharging crowding is the most mentioned barrier to buy (something like that). How can this be? 95% of charging is done at home. Tiny percent done on the road. Supercharger abuse (sitting for long times, locals using chargers) is only at a very few places, and there are other charging places, virtually unused, a little ways down the road, and with a little planning, you use them.
I have had to wait maybe twice, for maybe 5 minutes, and I put over 25,000 miles per year on my car.

Surely, charging at home cannot be a barrier. And most owners should know that Tesla is growing its supercharging infrastructure every day, that they will add chargers. Just to mention, there were no superchargers when I bought my Signature, and the first month we owned it, we drove to Canada. Obviously, it wasn't a problem. Prospective owners need to ask an owner. Most owners have no problem with supercharging, and with a little thought, there is no problem. But, of course, I still see people running out of gas several miles from the gas station, so I guess some will always have problems. But it's definitely not a major problem.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
The last tweet says that supercharging crowding is the most mentioned barrier to buy (something like that). How can this be? 95% of charging is done at home. Tiny percent done on the road. Supercharger abuse (sitting for long times, locals using chargers) is only at a very few places, and there are other charging places, virtually unused, a little ways down the road, and with a little planning, you use them.
I have had to wait maybe twice, for maybe 5 minutes, and I put over 25,000 miles per year on my car.

Surely, charging at home cannot be a barrier. And most owners should know that Tesla is growing its supercharging infrastructure every day, that they will add chargers. Just to mention, there were no superchargers when I bought my Signature, and the first month we owned it, we drove to Canada. Obviously, it wasn't a problem. Prospective owners need to ask an owner. Most owners have no problem with supercharging, and with a little thought, there is no problem. But, of course, I still see people running out of gas several miles from the gas station, so I guess some will always have problems. But it's definitely not a major problem.

To try to replace an ICE car for long distance travel in a *timely manner* not having to alter one's route or wait 5x longer to charge one's car at an SC than it would to pump gas are the remaining barriers to EV adoption.
You and I may look at it as a more peaceful, leasurely drive but to many it is the impediment to EVs replacing All their family ICE mobiles

I am hearing conflicting info on Sterling's status. Will be nice if we get an EM tweet about his status or PR department statement tomorrow.

No need. Sterling's linkedin profile says it all.Looks like Sterling got the axe for Elon's hyper aggressive promise of AP 2.0 by December, which I could tell 2 months ago that it will just be 1/2.

the new guy, Chris Lattner, became famous first with his work on llvm compiler framework (www.llvm.org) that won the ACM software of the year award in 2012. I have checked his work, and met him once in an LLVM development conference. The guy is definitely very hardworking, but not that theoretical or scientific. I mean, I have seen much better. But they stuck to academia for a reason. I don't know much about Sterling, but Lattner is not an autonomous software guy.
(With all due respect to Lattner; it is just my personal opinion, which could be very wrong. :() Definitely a lot more technical than the usual VPs.

sterling_anderson.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: neroden and KLC13
The actual final consumer ends up paying the bulk of a VAT tax, not the company that builds the product/service.

A VAT tax is applied when a company sells something or provides a service but simultaneously they claim a credit against the tax they paid when the company bought something (like the raw materials). The tax is only fully collected on the creation or consumption of value.

Canada's GST is a Value Added Tax ...
Yeah, I know what VAT is ... what are the GOP proposing?

Status
Not open for further replies.