Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping that the Roadster 2 has a special safety feature: the heart attack button. Here's how it works. At the onset of a heart attack, press button. The Roadster then accelerates from 0-62 mph for one final chest compression. Also relieves gas.

Edit, switched from "constipation" to "gas" because "gas" is much funnier.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that the Roadster 2 has a special safety feature: the heart attack button. Here's how it works. At the onset of a heart attack, press button. The Roadster then accelerates from 0-62 mph for one final chest compression. Also relieves constipation.

Uhm.. Roadster 2 has a heart rate monitor. No need for extra silly buttons.

Is it just me or are we looking at a 2021 global battery manufacturing capacity picture of:

1+ TWh for Tesla vs. less than 100 GWh for everyone else combined.

----------

I'm really excited for what 2020+ has to bring to Tesla.

The company is going from building 1 Gigafactory in 5 years to planning 5 Gigafactories simultaneously.

What does that mean for the next round? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is it just me or are we looking at a 2021 global battery manufacturing capacity picture of:

1+ TWh for Tesla vs. less than 100 GWh for everyone else combined.

China intends to be 12% EV by 2020. CATL and BYD will be producing batteries. It would be great if Tesla can be 50% of global production, but I think growth with everyone else will make 30% more likely.

China intends to be 12% EV by 2020. CATL and BYD will be producing batteries. It would be great if Tesla can be 50% of global production, but I think growth with everyone else will make 30% more likely.

Do you know CATL's and BYD's growth plans for the next five years?

My understanding is Tesla's planned growth is VASTLY discounted and underestimated, and no one else is even at the same ballpark.

Financial Times article: Subscribe to read (not mine; although I do keep a very close eye on this independently)

upload_2017-6-20_17-0-29.png

Do you know CATL's and BYD's growth plans for the next five years?
My understanding is Tesla's planned growth is VASTLY discounted and underestimated, and no one else is even at the same ballpark.

Ignoring Japanese production capacity borders on incompetence IMHO. Maybe they thought it would be economically unviable? Panasonic's capacity in Japan exceeds 9 GWh, or bigger than every facility shown in that chart. It also ignores SK Innovation completely.

Ignoring Japanese production capacity borders on incompetence IMHO. Maybe they thought it would be economically unviable? Panasonic's capacity in Japan exceeds 9 GWh, or bigger than every facility shown in that chart. It also ignores SK Innovation completely.

Agreed. Financial Times article also shows 35 GWh for Tesla in 2020, which is completely wrong on many levels.

Here's the last I've seen of SK Innovations:

SK Innovation is doubling its battery production for electric vehicles to 4GWh/year to support demand from Mercedes and others

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Agreed. Financial Times article also shows 35 GWh for Tesla in 2020, which is completely wrong on many levels.

Here's the last I've seen of SK Innovations:

SK Innovation is doubling its battery production for electric vehicles to 4GWh/year to support demand from Mercedes and others
Tesla should be in that chart at 105GWh not 35GWh.

Also, CATL's 50GWh has no funding as of present, AFAIK. So its vaporware.

So yeah, Tesla is alone, IMO, before you even consider that Tesla is planning to announce GF3,4,5 later this year, likely to come online by 2021 and expected to be similar in magnitude to GF1.

Tesla should be in that chart at 105GWh not 35GWh.

Also, CATL's 50GWh has no funding as of present, AFAIK. So its vaporware.

So yeah, Tesla is alone, IMO, before you even consider that Tesla is planning to announce GF3,4,5 later this year, likely to come online by 2021 and expected to be similar in magnitude to GF1.

Exactly, except that I expect (that's three different words starting with ex) that Gigafactory in China will be bigger than Gigafactory 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.