Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_4331.jpg
Does this have meaning in this forum?

End of July in Elon time means Monday July 31st at 11:59 PM.

That is still a win in my book.

It's not a "win" (IMO) if it's like the first MX deliveries. Basically five hand-built cars that didn't use the Gen Assembly Line.

A "WIN" in my view is 5 cars, but clear evidence that the M3 Gen Assembly line is been used to build cars on or before this initial delivery event.

Reactions: Drumheller and AlMc
That could explain the last couple trading days. :/

Doubt this had much if any effect at all. Tesla news has been either overwhelmed by Amazon/WFM merger, or dominated by the release of NHTSA docs concerning last year's autopilot fatality.

Market participants generally don't trade on one hire or fire.

1) I hope so, just to leverage the investments they have already made. The theoretical output of the Nevada gigafactory is years away from being met. What they desperately need in the next few years are car factories.
2) I am not even sure "stealing" is a bad thing here. What China has done with their solar industry deserves a Nobel peace prize. When the history of the green revolution is written, we have to start with China's dogged drive to build up their manufacturing capacity in solar panels. Sure, they probably "stole" some tech and dumped and subsidized and hurt other manufacturers... but they made solar mainstream. If they do that with batteries? I feel that is a "push" as an investor (Tesla still has lots of ways to succeed and are arguably helped by a cheap battery stream) and an enormous global benefit as an Earth-dweller. The sooner we have loads of battery gigafactories, the sooner we have grid smoothing, solar/wind demand shifting, and clean microgrids in the developing world. If we had $10/kWh commodity batteries, whole new technologies would come into existence improving our lives in untold ways.

Quite a disparity between those in China, and incumbent automakers in the rest of the world in enthusiasm to move to EVs. Elon may see such potential "stealing" as a something of a "cloning" tool to multiply Tesla's catalytic effect in transitioning from a world basically producing ICE vehicles to a world basically producing EVs.

Can't say I'm excited about this news... Chris Lattner leaving after only six months.

Tesla Autopilot: head of software Chris Lattner leaves, Tesla hires new head of AI and computer vision

It sounds to me like Chris Lattner just didn't have the expertise necessary. Apparently the new guy, Andrej Karpathy, is a leading expert in vision and deep learning, and he's coming from OpenAi so he's well know to EM who decided this is the guy they need. This isn't a case of Lattner leaving and needing to find a replacement, it's a replacement by choice. I think this is actually good news and progress is about to get a lot faster.

Edit: Also, remember in the shareholders meeting EM made the comment that progress was about to get a lot faster. I'm guessing this change has been in the works for a while and EM, Andrej Karpathy, and Jim Keller (the chip architect from AMD) have already worked out the path forward.

Last edited:
Do we already know a Model 3 electric car with batteries and all has way lower manufacturing costs than a base BMW?

I believe Elon is referring to CO2 cost, and while he may not know the _exact_ CO2 cost of manufacturing a base model BMW, his assumption rests with the fact that the battery pack and drive train, one of the largest components of the car, was manufactured in the Gigafactory, which is 100% powered by renewables.

Status
Not open for further replies.