Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, have you ever tried buying and servicing a non-Tesla EV from a normal dealer? I have, it's not fun. At least I have a free oil change from my dealer's rewards program though.

Tesla is still the best of the best out there for post-ownership experience of an EV, outside of maybe a small number of high-volume electric dealers on the west coast. Until dealers get much better (not likely) or Tesla goes downhill (also I don't see this as likely with a high-margin focus on the Model 3), I'm not factoring this into my stock decisions.
Yes I have with my Volt. And the dealer experience was very good. And I hate to say to the Volt as has been far more reliable than my Tesla. Just not quite as fun to drive however.

Pretty vague claims given they do not define whether that price is at the pack or cell level. Additionally, I have never seen where Audi intends on getting their batteries. We know LG is most likely at $145/KWh. I am assuming Tesla will very soon be at $190/KWh * 35% savings = ~$125/KWh at the pack level based on the savings from the Gigafactory ramp.

Interestingly, Audi claims 35% by 2025, which would be about 650,000 per year by 2025. As we know, Tesla intends to be at a 500,000 run rate by the end of 2018. Tesla could be doing 2 million cars a year by then with pack pricing at sub $100/KWh. I think Audi/VW is one of the more aggressive groups pushing for EV when compared to the rest, so even they do not see the changes coming or they would be breaking ground and partnering on huge battery factories.

The funny thing about sundaymorning's issue is that the TMC forums are filled with posts just like his. I think most people that post here on the investor's forum are surprised to see a post such as this because they never venture off their charts and this forum to see what's going on in the real world. If you went over to the X forum and read some of the horror stories there, you'd be wondering why in the heck you have so much money invested in Tesla. Then read the horror stories about AP2 and you'd be wanting to pull every dime out. It sure scares me - yet my investment grows daily. I can only SMH in confusion (astoundment?), but happy nonetheless. Though, I think it will come back to bite Tesla eventually if they don't correct it. I want Tesla to be DIFFERENT than the other manufacturers. That's what attracted me to Tesla to start with.

I'm just hoping that these stories are either fabricated, or a very small percentage of the owners. But, there are a TON of people having terrible issues with the X, their service center (customer service), and AP2.

Just read this thread.

Tesla Service/Quality control is still as bad as ever I guess

Some quotes:

"I have had major issues with my MX100D which was delivered in March. I have been to SC couple of times already. Some of the issues are still there. I really don't understand why the quality of MX is so bad."

"I am really sick of Tesla today so need to vent some, I guess."

"My car is in there for the fourth time fixing the FWD getting overheated issue. I haven't heard from them ever since Tuesday after dropping it off. I specifically asked for a X loaner before I'd bring it in because they've only given me stale, smelly, S85 with the signal stalk in the wrong place and no AP in 2 out of 3 visits."

"I've also he a few issues with my X vin 15xxx.

- multiple falcon wing dors fixes
- AC stoped working
- squeaks from seats
- air vents noise
- crappy wipers "

"having an alignment issue with my right FWD as well...

My Service Advsor's exact words: "Thank you for those pictures. Because those are aluminum stamped doors I am not sure if there is a whole lot we could do to align those doors closer but we can still take a look if you have some time to swing by next week."

"This excuse is somewhat stale nowadays, don't you think so?
It is not 2013 anymore, not even 2014"

"I find it a bit disconcerting, despite those who seem to think I think Tesla does no wrong, that Tesla is still having these build issues..."

"6 weeks ago I took my car in for phantom object detection of driver FWD. This was fixed, but when I picked up my car I noted a 1/4 inch tear in my 2nd row driver side seat which is right opposite the fixed FWD. I theorized that the tech dropped a sharp object on the seat while fixing the FWD. I immidiatly showed it to the staff at SC and was told the new seat would be promptly ordered. It should take 4-6 weeks. I was told I could check in 2 weeks though. I called in 2 weeks to check on the status and was told "not yet", but definitely ordered. Called in 1 more week- same, not yet but ordered. Called again today- "ah, so sorry, we ordered a 3rd row seat instead of the 2nd. So we have to order it again". How long is this going to take I ask. "4-6 weeks". F*******************K!!!!!!!!!!"

"it doesn't have to be 2013 or 2014. No - the Alibi now is, "well ... not completely borking up the Model 3 launch has to get all of our attention ... so all you owners who paid over 3X more your cars - & supported us in the early years .... we'll ... ... you'll just have to hang tight. "

And this one is mega!

"As I keep saying this is a BIG problem. These are not isolated incidents.

We worship Musk and his mission but when the 3 comes out there are many that will not be as crazy as us. I view my Tesla purchases as an investment and vote of confidence in their wonderful mission. They are also the best cars one can buy hands down. When they work. For now.

Their stock will plunge if they release the 3 as crappily as they did with S and X.

FREMONT ARE YOU LISTENING???"
You're always going to read about endless people complaining about the product on the forums because those are the people that post on the forums. You're not going to hear from people completely satisfied with the product. At least not as much. It's just human nature. Having said that, no company is perfect. Tesla has plenty of room to grow in the service department and communication to customers. Even with all the improvements they make, they still have the highest customer satisfaction numbers.

Personally, I go test drive and experience the products myself every few months as an investor (but not owner yet) to make sure Tesla is making progress. During my last test drive, I concluded AP2 is on par with AP1 I drove back in November 2016. The only thing missing was the self parking feature.

The funny thing about sundaymorning's issue is that the TMC forums are filled with posts just like his. <SNIP>
If you went over to the X forum and read some of the horror stories there, you'd be wondering why in the heck you have so much money invested in Tesla. Then read the horror stories about AP2 and you'd be wanting to pull every dime out. <SNIP>

I'm just hoping that these stories are either fabricated, or a very small percentage of the owners. But, there are a TON of people having terrible issues with the X, their service center (customer service), and AP2. <SNIP>

1. If you think or hope they're fabricated, and/or very small percentage, why give them so much exuberant press?
2. "TON with terrible X issues": ok, I'll bite: exactly how many? What are the actual numbers, or at least a reasonably explicit count, which would give a percentage based on number of X's sold, which would give us a bit more context as to exactly how big that TON was. Which of those are truly "terrible", and which are annoying, or merely cosmetic?

With respect, I know you have real problems with the X because of the FWD and I don't want to resurrect that particular set of rants -- I get it. However let's not replace that with language about service implying most X's have horrible service problems. That's what your post seems to be trying to imply, and I won't buy ANY of it until I see some reasonably accurate numbers, to give appropriate context.

Just my opinion.

ValueAnalyst said:
Interested in learning people's "I would start thinking about selling" and "I would definitely sell" price levels for 2H17.

IMO, this question needs a little more context when answering. It really depends on a multitude of factors for each individual. Age, family situation ( # of kids..college bound?) other investments, tax/non tax accounts, health, if there is a large purchase coming up and opportunity costs of alternative investments.

If TSLA hits your optimistic target of $1,000 in 2017 I will sell half my shares in my 401K and be happy that IMO I have secured my retirement and put that money into MM/bonds as I calculate I can support my family in my retirement years..which are upon me) and let the rest 'ride' in TSLA.
I would have many other different price targets for the taxable shares I have. It all depends on the timing and life factors that are not always predictable.

For the record, I don't think I ever gave a timeline on what the stock will do. I may have made an offhand comment that maybe implies what you indicated, but the following is my philosophy:

I estimate the intrinsic value of the company at a very high $1T+ but no one really knows when the price of the company will get there, if ever. This is why I stay away from options and want to preserve my staying power.

If a short squeeze happens in the next few months, however, I would expect the SP to rise above $1,000, and what it does afterwords will dépend on how the Model 3 ramp-up and margins are progressing.

Last edited:
If a short squeeze happens in the next few months, however, I would expect the SP to rise above $1,000, and what it does afterwords will dépend on how the Model 3 ramp-up and margins are progressing.

If. OMG, I'm so over the 'short squeeze' talk at this point. Y'all need to go out and buy some oranges or lemons and squeeze those, unless you can tell me at what price the stock will force the squeeze.

Pretty vague claims given they do not define whether that price is at the pack or cell level. Additionally, I have never seen where Audi intends on getting their batteries. We know LG is most likely at $145/KWh. I am assuming Tesla will very soon be at $190/KWh * 35% savings = ~$125/KWh at the pack level based on the savings from the Gigafactory ramp.

Interestingly, Audi claims 35% by 2025, which would be about 650,000 per year by 2025. As we know, Tesla intends to be at a 500,000 run rate by the end of 2018. Tesla could be doing 2 million cars a year by then with pack pricing at sub $100/KWh. I think Audi/VW is one of the more aggressive groups pushing for EV when compared to the rest, so even they do not see the changes coming or they would be breaking ground and partnering on huge battery factories.

Agree with everything you said, but the bolded sentence?!

Tesla will likely have 8-12 Gigafactories by then (possibly more), and assuming each will produce 1m+ cars, that's multiple times of 2 million cars.

If. OMG, I'm so over the 'short squeeze' talk at this point. Y'all need to go out and buy some oranges or lemons and squeeze those, unless you can tell me at what price the stock will force the squeeze.

I've estimated $450-500 before, and listed ten items that may ignite it. A profitable Model 3 ramp up to 5,000/week this year is one of them.

Last edited:
No, we do not know that.

145$/kWh war part of a billion dollar deal, that contains FIXED battery price for 4 years up to '19 and assumes GM buys much more than just cells.

Saying LG is at 145 because of such a deal is plain lie.

If we don't know what the price is, then we don't know if it's a lie either. Anyway, there is nothing wrong with negotiating a long term supply contract for a substantial volume purchase in exchange for a lower price. Tesla did the same thing with Panasonic.

For a different data point : Renault is selling 41kWh batteries to end users for 7000 EUR. That's 170EUR/kWh and includes dealer and manufacturer markup. It seems reasonable most large automotive companies with substantial electric car products are sourcing battery packs at somewhere that quoted price of $145/kWh. Since Audi is only starting up production next year and prices are dropping rapidly it's certainly plausible that the $115/kWh is their pack cost.

Reactions: Lessmog and TMSE
1. If you think or hope they're fabricated, and/or very small percentage, why give them so much exuberant press?
2. "TON with terrible X issues": ok, I'll bite: exactly how many? What are the actual numbers, or at least a reasonably explicit count, which would give a percentage based on number of X's sold, which would give us a bit more context as to exactly how big that TON was. Which of those are truly "terrible", and which are annoying, or merely cosmetic?

With respect, I know you have real problems with the X because of the FWD and I don't want to resurrect that particular set of rants -- I get it. However let's not replace that with language about service implying most X's have horrible service problems. That's what your post seems to be trying to imply, and I won't buy ANY of it until I see some reasonably accurate numbers, to give appropriate context.

Just my opinion.

I have a Dec, 2016 model x and I haven't had any issues that wouldn't be considered anything but extremely minor and I have found that when I do have an issue, service is quick or I get a very nice loaner.

I know I'm only one guy with one car but it tells me that it is possible to build the car without major issues. Never had any issues with the fwd desires a minor squeak when they opened. They took care of this whole distracting me with hot sales ladies offering me coffee. It's only been 6 months and 12k miles but so far so good.

I typically see a few model S everyday on my short commute, but I am starting to see almost as many model Xs. I can't tell to how many looks I get, mostly women in the wholefoods parking lot. I know it's not very scientific, but I think we are going to start to seeing model x finally mature enough in production to see it finally eclipse model S in production and deliveries. I expect at least 20-30% more x then s on the 2H2017. Hopefully s still continues to grow as well, only they will 1H2018 but I'm more worried about the next 6 months then the following 6.

Nah, these stories are normal. Tesla Service is a mess. Complete walking disaster. I really do think almost all the low-level employees are trying to do the right thing... but there's a huge level of corporate disorganization, and the result is that things *don't get fixed* and mistakes keep being made. The feedback loop from Service to Engineering (particularly Software Engineering) is substantially missing as far as I can tell, and there doesn't seem to be a coherent handbook on policy, and what policy there is is stupid and customer-hostile.

This will bite them in the ass eventually. Actually, that's when I'll sell the stock, if the problems are still happening, and I suspect they will be. Currently, every electric car manufactured will be sold because there's a huge unfulfilled demand for electric cars period. Once there are enough electric cars being sold to come close to satisfying demand, *then* this will start hurting Tesla. (At the rate competitors are going, that will take years. Oh. Also, the competitors' dealerships are mostly just as bad, so it will also require a competitor which behaves better. Maybe in 10 years?)

It will get Tesla a bad reputation which they might never recover from. Right now that bad reputation will be mitigated by... who else you gonna buy an electric car from?!? (Just like Microsoft had a horrendous reputation but you had to buy it anyway for compatibiity.) But eventually there will be enough options for other electric cars that it'll hurt bad.

If the other guys don't continue to sell from dealerships which are even worse. Which so far they seem to be doing.

And that's my thesis for when to sell TSLA stock at this point. I see no signs that they're addressing the most basic problems with service, communications, or legal, but it also doesn't seem to *matter* in the next several years. When those problems start to have a material effect on the company's performance is the time to get out.

My thesis is largely about the general awful quality of Tesla's competition. That's why I watch the competition, perhaps, even more than I watch Tesla. As long as the competitors continue to produce low numbers of (electric) cars and provide awful service, Tesla stock will have no problems.
Nonsense this happens to every world class company. What you are pointing out happens already to the best so are you saying your portfolio does not have any mature company?

Reactions: Krugerrand
I've estimated $450-500 before, and listed ten items that may ignite it.

Time frame. Time frame. Time frame. Devil is in the details. That range has to be hit in a relatively short (as in short from today's date) and compact (as in happening over a few days) period of time. It's taken 3 months (Mar 27 - $270ish) to gain $100ish with several 'dips' in there giving shorts time to get out and re-enter, and get out and re-enter etc... If it takes another 3 months to get into that range (just another $100 to do so, which seems not out of the impossible given what's coming up in the next 3 months (ie., several of those igniting items) there won't be a bonfire, but rather just a nice fire to roast wieners and make s'mores - no squeeze.

Time frame. Time frame. Time frame. Devil is in the details. That range has to be hit in a relatively short (as in short from today's date) and compact (as in happening over a few days) period of time. It's taken 3 months (Mar 27 - $270ish) to gain $100ish with several 'dips' in there giving shorts time to get out and re-enter, and get out and re-enter etc... If it takes another 3 months to get into that range (just another $100 to do so, which seems not out of the impossible given what's coming up in the next 3 months (ie., several of those igniting items) there won't be a bonfire, but rather just a nice fire to roast wieners and make s'mores - no squeeze.

I actually prefer a slow fire because I don't want to have to sell my shares, and I can keep my margin level stable if the price is perpetually and significantly below intrinsic value, which will continuously increase as we move through time and the company executes on its plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.