Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, this really only leaves the final logistical problem: how to repair the cars after they're delivered, when Stuff Happens. Still need to double the number of service centers in the US.

With the current logistical plans to first release M3 only to employees, Tesla is hoping to eliminate many problems before releasing them to the public. This gives them time to retool and readjust robotics where necessary. Since employees have their car on the lot at the factory 8 hours per day, many issues could be quickly fixed same day. Once the public gets their vehicle, the product has already been streamlined to perfection. With that being said, I'm sure they'll open more service centers for M3. And we likely won't see the MX type of fiasco rollout. Tesla is a fast learner and they evolve quickly, even in terms of delivery and service...

Yeah, this really only leaves the final logistical problem: how to repair the cars after they're delivered, when Stuff Happens. Still need to double the number of service centers in the US.

Lots of that stuff doesn't require a service center and can be handled by Tesla Rangers. I believe they are ramping that program up substantially.

This is total BS.

I maintain spreadsheet with Tesla production and deliveries data compiled using delivery press releases, shareholder letters and quarterly reports. At the end of Q4 2016 Tesla produced 6,091 more MS than it delivered, and 6,418 more MX, for a total 12,509 more cars produced than delivered.

These 12,509 cars included 6,450 vehicles in transit to customers at the end of Q4 2016, as well as estimated fleet of 3,352 marketing and loaner cars (see details below). The balance are Tesla new vehicles in sales inventory: 12,509 - 6,450 - 3,352 = 2,707. To put this number in perspective, conservatively assuming average turnover of new vehicles inventory of 3 months, based on about 25k vehicles produced per quarter, the ratio of cars sold through customer orders vs. new inventory is about 89% to 11%.

According to the Tesla Q4 2016 Production and Deliveries press release:

Based on information from the Tesla Website here are the totals for Tesla Stores, Galleries and Service Centers by country, with my estimated total for fleet of new vehicles in Tesla marketing and loaners fleet (loaners fleet includes used trade-in cars as well, but I do not count them here):

View attachment 220917
thank you for actual numbers. may i use them to refute?
I created a major firestorm/shugar storm/ name calling storm from a lot of shorts and "wanna be shorts" when I questioned the numbers and called "BS" I suspected due to vehemence of attacks I was close to truth, but it is Seeking alpha, It's a crappy juvenile graph that edward tufte Edward Tufte: Posters and Graph Paper would laugh at

This removes one of my last concerns about the 'model 3 logistics: From production to driving'

Production was one issue but even if they could produce tens of thousands of model 3s, how the heck were they going to deliver them since we were seeing very little in the way of expanding the Service Centers?
Group deliveries
If they can figure out how to build an alien dreadnaught production line to build them, delivery is mouse nuts.

Yes, I fully expect and predicted a long time ago that after or at Model 3 introduction we will see a Tesla app store, with apps running in a walled garden. The production volumes will certainly justify it! Also, fully-autonomous driving will free-up the driver to use the apps. I'd also like to see Amazon Alexa VUI (Voice User Interface) technology integrated into the Model 3 at some point. Frankly, I'd love to use it in my Model X today, since it wouldn't distract me from the road. People could order stuff from Bezos while driving around, so AMZN will make money from this very desirable demographic, too.

The are many other things Tesla could do if they wanted to monetize Model 3 owners, besides Tesla Network. One is to sell auto insurance with discounts off premium based upon various factors like % of time using fully autonomous driving, where and home much driven, etc., which only Tesla knows. This way, I wouldn't have had to pay anything for car insurance on my X when it spent 2 months 11/30-early Feb in the body shop waiting for parts to fix a collision with road debris that fell off a pick-up truck! :( They did give me a Model S loaner, however, so I didn't have to breathe fumes again at gas stations.

Considering that the screen has access to control certain functions of the vehicle, I would not want there to be an app store for the screen. Honestly, I'm not even happy about the fact that there is a web browser that can access the internet. It's a security risk that has only been utilized once as a proof of concept so far, but I think as a whole those systems should be as insulated from apps and the internet as possible. I'm aware of sandboxing and other such methods, but they are not foolproof by any means. We all have mobile devices these days anyhow, so I don't think that there will be much of a benefit.

thank you for actual numbers. may i use them to refute?
I created a major firestorm/shugar storm/ name calling storm from a lot of shorts and "wanna be shorts" when I questioned the numbers and called "BS" I suspected due to vehemence of attacks I was close to truth, but it is Seeking alpha, It's a crappy juvenile graph that edward tufte Edward Tufte: Posters and Graph Paper would laugh at

Go right ahead, rattle their cages!

They prefer not to talk about one simple fact that at any given moment, including end of the quarter there are always cars in transit, manufactured, but not delivered. Tesla was batching production geographically to minimize quantity of cars in transit, but this practice is or about to stop because it creates lopsided delivery schedule when deliveries are very light during the first and second month of the quarter, with majority of cars delivered during the final month of the quarter. This practice is not sustainable with M3 coming to the mix, as production is slated for steep rise.

So if one assumes average global transit time - time between moment a car is manufactured and time when it is delivered - of 6 weeks, and MS/MX production of 2.5k cars per week, the steady state production with orders apportioned to geographic regions according to the rate of incoming orders from these regions (rather then batching orders to minimize cars in the pipeline), the total quantity of cars in transit would normally be 15k.

Last edited:
PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 04/02/17 -- Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) delivered just over 25,000 vehicles in Q1, of which approx 13,450 were Model S and approx 11,550 were Model X. This was a new quarterly record for us and represents a 69% increase over Q1 2016. Our delivery count should be viewed as slightly conservative, as we only count a car as delivered if it is transferred to the customer and all paperwork is correct. Final numbers could vary by up to 0.5%.

In addition to Q1 deliveries, about 4,650 vehicles were in transit to customers at the end of the quarter. These will be counted as deliveries in Q2 2017.

Q1 production totaled 25,418 vehicles. This was also a new quarterly record for us.

They must be pretty happy with this since they didn't provide any extra commentary.

Go right ahead, rattle their cages!

They prefer not to talk about one simple fact that at any given moment, including end of the quarter there are always cars in transit, manufactured, but not delivered. Tesla was batching production geographically to minimize quantity of cars in transit, but this practice is or about to stop because it creates lopsided delivery schedule when deliveries are very light during the first and second month of the quarter, with majority of cars delivered during the final month of the quarter. This practice is not sustainable with M3 coming to the mix, as production is slated for steep rise.

So if one assumes average global transit time - time between moment a car is manufactured and time when it is delivered - of 6 weeks, and MS/MX production of 2.5k cars per week, the steady state production with orders apportioned to geographic regions according to the rate of incoming orders from these regions (rather then batching orders to minimize cars in the pipeline), the total quantity of cars in transit would normally be 15k.
I have a feeling their shipping practices as we know them will change with Model 3 (until they get factories in Europe and Asia). I googled a bit, and found the world's largest vehicle transporter ship can carry up to 8500 cars, but other more typical ones are 5-6k. (Did not do much research, but that's what I've found).

So, for instance, I imagine Tesla usually put all their Europe bound cars on 1 ship halfway through the quarter, filling it fully / mostly, to minimize cost per car. Starting with Model 3, "they need a bigger boat", or rather, more ships per quarter. So they will probably move from the once a quarter schedule to a conveyor belt type of approach, with several ships per month, maybe. This would mean less batching, as whatever S or X is intended for e.g. Germany for early February, would just join a couple of thousand Model 3s heading to Tilburg in January and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.