Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ONE....?
Sadly, yes. Daimler management got drilled last year at their shareholder meeting as to why they have not done anything in the EV space to combat Tesla. This triggered them to take EVs more seriously. I still don't think they are being aggressive enough, but they are the most serious out of all the established OEMs imo. We are witnessing a perfect example of the innovator's dilemma in the automotive business.

The only other company currently playing in Automotive, Energy, and Trucking is Daimler. Their energy strategy is only storage, but they have announced plans for their own battery factory.

And they have the largest market share in the Semi market.

And they had a previous relationship with Tesla.

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TMSE and Lessmog
Has anyone estimated Tesla's Total Addressable Market?

In other words, if Tesla achieved 100% market share in all of the markets in which it competes, what would be its annual revenue?

I estimated this at $15T+ with a back-of-the-envelope calculation (literally), but it would be helpful if someone could share more specific figures.

The major global buckets of revenue I considered: Automotive (including cars, parts, service, mobility), Energy (generation and storage), Trucking.

In other words, Tesla's TAM is arguably larger than that of any other company. This does not mean that Tesla's annual revenue will ever reach this level, or anything remotely close, but it's an indication of what is even physically possible.

my friends in traders playground tell me that you are even more bullish AAPL than I am. Thats saying a lot but if you look at the math in simple terms I tend to fall back to the connections to my previous love, AAPL.

AAPL entered the cell phone market in 2007 , a market that yielded relatively low margins and where phones were purchased outright with few financing incentives. In other words there was not much money to be made in cell phones if we were to draw parallels to the market space today.
I reference I post i placed back in 2013
Traders Playground Investment Stock Picks chatroom and BB • View topic - Buying Long Term: (16:06:24) MMASSASSIN: Tweeting: will be
Traders Playground Investment Stock Picks chatroom and BB • View topic - Buying Long Term: buying TSLA stock at 27.07-27.10 area thi
The breakout back then we had a target for 150 the following year due to short covering . Now Im looking for a very fast 200 point rally to come from the breakout now only beginning.

my friends in traders playground tell me that you are even more bullish AAPL than I am. Thats saying a lot but if you look at the math in simple terms I tend to fall back to the connections to my previous love, AAPL.

AAPL entered the cell phone market in 2007 , a market that yielded relatively low margins and where phones were purchased outright with few financing incentives. In other words there was not much money to be made in cell phones if we were to draw parallels to the market space today.
Traders Playground Investment Stock Picks chatroom and BB • View topic - Buying Long Term: (16:06:24) MMASSASSIN: Tweeting: will be
Traders Playground Investment Stock Picks chatroom and BB • View topic - Buying Long Term: buying TSLA stock at 27.07-27.10 area thi
The breakout back then we had a target for 150 the following year due to short covering . Now Im looking for a very fast 200 point rally to come from the breakout now only beginning.

:) Thanks. I think you meant TSLA in your first sentence though; I'm not in AAPL.

I don't think you'll find the excitement you're looking for on my twitter account. I'm a bottom-up fundamental research long-term investor so I don't trade often.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden

I think the coronation to TSLA becoming the AAPL of the auto industry implies doing so with higher margins and continued growth .

Back then in 2013 my long term target was to see TSLA as a trillion dollar company. Today I believe that it can and will see 2 trillion dollar market cap within 7 years.
The predictions just state an understanding that a shift is happening where high growth within a market now 100 years old. Add to that the trillion dollar opportunity that comes from Tesla energy .
I know the estimates sound ridiculously lofty but those of you that may of known my stance in 2007 when our first lover AAPL was shifting the paradigm within its field , may of seen the prediction we had of 650 billion market cap for her as being equally ridiculously

Tesla Motors: And Now the Hard Part
Pacific Crest said:
Given the lack of profitability at the low-end, this begs the following question: How Much Does TSLA Have to Lower Its Cost Basis to Deliver In-line Model 3 Gross Margin? (We Assume a Model 3 Blended ASP of $42,000 vs. the Stated $35,000 Base-Level MSRP)...

Tesla must reduce its S/X non battery [cost of goods sold] by $41.371 per car, or 66%, in order to achieve Model 3's gross profit target mid-point.

• Funny
Reactions: TMSE
We have pulled up to GM's market cap again. This might be worth bearing in mind when the FUD machine starts screeching about Tesla vs. GM,

"IMAGINE two companies in the same business. The sales of Company A are one-nineteenth those of Company B. Company A has never shown a profit and is expected to report on Wednesday even bigger losses than had been forecast, while Company B is enjoying a strong quarter and figures to be solidly profitable for the third consecutive year.

Company B's market capitalization ought to dwarf Company A's, yes? And investors ought to be piling into Company B and watching Company A nervously, right?

Wrong. The market value of A (Amazon.com, the on-line bookseller) has rocketed past that of B (Barnes & Noble, king of brick-and-mortar bookstores) over the last six weeks."

New York Times, July, 1998

INVESTING IT; Does Amazon = 2 Barnes & Nobles?

fwiw, if you read the whole article, it's rather interesting how much more even handedly and deeply they considered the case for Amazon. The analysis is framed with this opening comment "It all may sound like speculative mania. But there may be a more rational explanation for why investors are willing to pay more for little Amazon than for its giant counterpart" and then goes into details of its underlying advantages vs. traditional retailers. Quite different than what we see with Tesla today, often framing Tesla as if it is known to be a bubble stock, and even more frequently referring to it as a "story stock", "cult stock", and/or [having] "no rational way to value it".

The difference between TSLA and AMZN narratives may be due to the heavy propaganda by the fossil fuel industry.

The Kochs Are Plotting A Multimillion-Dollar Assault On Electric Vehicles | The Huffington Post
Part of the difference (if there is any) might also be explained by the reading habits of the present Administration, particularly its figurative Head. Not many books sold there. Besides the propaganda.

MikeMikeDelta said:
Some serious FUD here. But hey... If you're wanting a 25% margin on the M3, that means you need a production cost of $26,250 for the $35k sales price. If the battery is 55kWh, you're looking at just under $20k cost for the rest of the car minus the battery. Anyone else want to wager that TSLA can do the rest of the drivetrain for $5k, the body for $10k, interior/paint/wheels for $5k? I sure would take that bet, oh wait, I already did!

I think with the extreme migration towards automation, that we're going to find out that the number of man-hours required for the production of the M3 are much lower than for the Model S, and for other traditional automakers. I have no doubt that Model 3 profitability will hit in 2017, and likely reach target Q1 of 2018. But of course, those riding that river in Egypt will claim that Tesla is "burning cash" by redirecting those profits into GF3 & 4...

So lets assume that all goes as expected in the next 2-3 years. Model 3 takes off, TE takes off, GF's being built as planned, etc. At that point, I'm a little worried that the stock price would start to be affected negatively. This time, not by all the stupid FUD/bear arguments, but by unrealistically HIGH expectations from these same brain dead analysts. Does anyone else share that concern?

Reactions: neroden and Thumper
Electrek green energy brief: Amazon going big solar, 3 million advanced energy jobs, Military continuing its green march, more

MIT Study: Vehicle Emissions Cause 58,000 Premature Deaths Yearly in U.S.

"As troubling as these findings are, they’re not too far out of line with other research on the topic. In 2010, the EPA estimated that there were 160,000 premature deaths due to fine particle pollution alone. An additional 4,300 deaths were attributed to ozone pollution.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organization recently added air pollution to its list of carcinogens. The WHO’s determination comes from experts at its International Agency for Research on Cancer, who, after reviewing thousands of studies, concluded air pollution could be linked to both lung and bladder cancer"
Chinese claim to loose 4,000 per day! One of the reasons behind big push for wind/solar and closing of coal power plants.
Air Pollution Causes 4,400 Deaths In China Every Single Day: Study | The Huffington Post

First you have to pay for the software activation.
Second you need to turn it on when you want to use it. (similar to using cruise control)
Third realize you are still the pilot and have the ultimate responsibility. Don't be a fool. Cars are dangerous, they can get you killed.

GM ignition switch users had no such options nor knowledge. Yes, it was also flawed. Over 100 died. google to find articles you trust.
Supreme Court decided against GM - which I think first time in decades a corporation lost at the Supreme Court.

The rocket launch/landing today seemed like an apt analogy to Tesla right now. Gone are the days where no one thinks that SpaceX can land a freakin' rocket back on earth. The webcast seemed almost ho-hum. The impossible is now expected.

Gone too, are the days that no one thinks Tesla can build mass volumes of electric cars, and sell them. The Model 3 launch will be FAR, FAR simpler than the S was (when they had no experience and no money), or the X was (don't get me started on that one).

The math is simple:

1) The demand is there for Tesla products (even if there's not for electric econoboxes that sell for $37,500).
2) Tesla has the experience to produce the 3 in quantities, with relative ease compared to their past.
3) Gross margins are forecasted to be 25%. If the margins prove to be smaller than forecast, they have sufficient demand to raise prices for the foreseeable future.

Many of us remember when all this was written off as impossible. Now it's expected....which is why we are all making a metric crap-ton full of money right now. (except a few unnamed participants)

Last edited:
wow what a move. it sure feels like the earnings beat i have been anticipating has been priced in by now. it's a 40 point move since you could have been nearly sure (after deliveries were announced) and an 85 point move since you would have a good idea a beat was coming (after solarcity 10k was out). @MitchJi and others have mentioned the importance of model 3 commentary, and from the ted talk that was positive.

what's left to drive a huge upside surprise price movement?

the only thing i can think of is the rest of the world coming to realize tesla may be a s&p 500 member by september.

if it was not for my view of the likely lower quality nature of the beat, i would say there were other surprise catalysts out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.