Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be surprised if they continue bus strategy.

I agree with Elon that mass-transit (incl. buses and metros etc) don't make much sense once FSD dramatically reduces cost of transportation.

I was very surprised when he included a bus strategy in his part deux.

I suspect they are using the Daimler/MB car-making model. I believe Daimler/MB makes a large variety of vehicles including Semis and buses.

Now if Tesla Network becomes a real force, I'm sure Tesla will rethink the bus.

150 GWh x 50% / 55 kWh = 1.36 million vehicles, before Grohmann acquisition.
[...]
Why is Tesla projecting only 1 million vehicles in 2020?

My take: hard to estimate demand, distribution between automotvive and Tesla energy etc. exactly 3 years in advance, so they´re just using the order of magnitude, possibly sandbagging a bit in the process.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
He also said the split between automotive and Tesla Energy would be even.

Did he actually say that the GWhs of battery capacity would be split between TA and TE? I thought he said that the revenue generated would be split. (Or was it profit generated.) I thought the majority of the battery capacity was going to TA. (Like 2/3 of it.)

I think he also said that he expects the average kWhs per car would be 70. (Which probably includes the S and X.)

The acquisition should still have a material impact on projections made a year before the acquisition, otherwise why acquire?

But that still doesn't explain the discrepancy in the two projections.

Could be that when the comment was made, Elon knew they would acquire grohmann. The original goal was 35gw/Y so it's tripled and maybe almost 5x, so I'm sure grohmann had something to do with that as industrial automation is what they do.

The 3 major Korean automotive LIB manufacturers supply most of the advanced LIBs for non-Chinese EVs. That's LG Chem, Samsung SDI, and SK Innovations. Of course, Panasonic also supplies automakers. The problem isn't that these firms can't scale up. It is that the major automakers haven't put in the orders and/or formed the joint ventures or whatever financial arrangement in order to scale up aggressively. Part of it is technological... they want to wait for newer chemistry before making huge commitments. And of course, it takes time to scale. Samsung SDI made some noises about 20 GWh by 2020, but if you really read into that, it was more of a plea for orders and putting a number out there that could be funded if someone wanted to do so. The Chinese capacity announcements can be read the same way. There is a lot of change going into the Chinese EV subsidies at several levels at the car, battery cell, and license levels. Even Tesla's number is aspirational and we need to see some concrete numbers which are hopefully forthcoming.

Is this because the deal would require them to lock in specific chemistry? It seems like a lot of the improvement we've seen in cells over the last decade wouldn't require much new capex to the battery factory lines to implement. Do you think they are waiting for a more revolutionary form factor + chemstry change rather than the incremental improvements we've seen in the last 20 years?

101,000 reasons to hang on to those working Roadsters!

Working Apple-1 sold at auction by original owner for $101K in Germany

IMG_0141.JPG

It should be called.. The inconvenient shot at Elon, the one guy who is probably doing more then anyone to further the goal. Don't get how the left eats its own so easily.

Gore is just mad that he was not put in the Trump cabinet and EM is attending WH meetings.

Seriously. Everything Elon does is about saving us from ourselves. Why take that potshot at the end of the trailer?

Exactly, it should have been something like.. "and Thank you Elon Musk for being maybe the only human being with the forethought to prepare us for the inevitable extinction level event that is 100% guaranteed to happen."

You can think Elon is crazy and he probably is, but im fine with that. At least his intentions are good and his abilities are prolific. I will take a little crazy with the added benefits to the human race. You kind of have to be crazy to do the things he is trying to do.

Exactly, it should have been something like.. "and Thank you Elon Musk for being maybe the only human being with the forethought to prepare us for the inevitable extinction level event that is 100% guaranteed to happen."

You can think Elon is crazy and he probably is, but im fine with that. At least his intentions are good and his abilities are prolific. I will take a little crazy with the added benefits to the human race. You kind of have to be crazy to do the things he is trying to do.

• Love
Reactions: SunCatcher and TMSE
It should be called.. The inconvenient shot at Elon, the one guy who is probably doing more then anyone to further the goal. Don't get how the left eats its own so easily.

Same reason people attack Apple: it gets attention. Does Al Gore even have relevance to the environmental movement anymore?

The people who need to be convinced to take action on climate change aren't the Al Gore followers. The people who need convincing are those who are genuinely afraid that stopping human climate change means going back to the pre-industrial era. That is why Tesla is an easy sell: the Tesla future is cooler, cleaner, and functionally better than what exists today.

Swiss voters embrace shift to renewable energy

BUSINESS
Swiss voters embrace shift to renewable energy

Reuters - 8h ago

Quote:

Solar and wind now account for less than five percent of Switzerland's energy output, compared with 60 percent for hydro and 35 percent for nuclear. Under the new law, power from solar, wind, biomass and geothermal sources would rise to at least 11,400 gigawatt hours (GWh) by 2035 from 2,831 GWh now.

The law will ban building new nuclear plants. Switzerland has five plants, with the first slated to close in 2019. Voters have not set a firm deadline for the rest, allowing them to run as long as they meet safety standards.

The law also helps utilities that now rely on hydropower, and whose costs exceed Europe's wholesale prices.

End quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.