Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens if sales divert to international to push the tax credit crossover date to early 2Q18? .

They apparently will not need to, but if they did it would be inconsistent with the geographic allocation Elon has promised several times, and would irk all the ones whose car would be delayed but who have been eligible for a full credit regardless of any diversion. Also a potential PR faux pas.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
Not a bear, but this is from the earning call transcript for Q1 2016:

Link: Tesla Motors (TSLA) Elon Reeve Musk on Q1 2016 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

Yes, that’s what he said. We all immediately wondered what was with that. The only thing that makes sense is that he was talking about rate, especially if you consider everything else he said at the time. I do wish he went back and clarified, or that they had a decent investor relations spokesperson that would clear things up.

Reactions: larmor
Yes, that’s what he said. We all immediately wondered what was with that. The only thing that makes sense is that he was talking about rate, especially if you consider everything else he said at the time. I do wish he went back and clarified, or that they had a decent investor relations spokesperson that would clear things up.

Yes EM said 100-200K.
Analysts and market said none in 2017 or just a few thousand < 2K

(SP was not priced up due to EM's projections, but priced down due to market commentary)

Now we are at at least 35-55K M3s in 2017. Based on the above, it seems logical SP should go up due to actual facts. Excepting upgrades to come soon once analytical models have been revised.

Further, How do we spin 47K S/X in 1H 2017 ?

• Informative
Reactions: everman
What do you think the lead time is for the robots? I would imagine they would add where gaps are most pronounced and tweak the run rate where possible. This may delay getting to 10,000 a week in March, but preserves capital. If the next GF is going to start by next year, it's going to be about margins and capital preservation. At 350,000 cars they are generating 20 billion in revenue and hopefully at least 2-3 billion in free cash flow. Energy storage may also start creating cash flow, but still unknown. Solar seems on track for a lull this year and return to rapid growth in 2018. Hard to estimate free cash flow from solar. With 3 billion in cash flow, they can probably work on two new GF sites concurrently. A billion a year gets the site and enough space to start local cell production pack assembly and a 250,000 model 3 line. Can they build an integrated site in less than two years? Would they start some production facets early and just do local assembly short term? There must be a lot of options to roll out new sites as fast as possible and start generating some cash from operations quickly.
They also plan on doubling the size of Fremont, which is probably another 3 billion. Pretty amazing for a company assembling Lotus cars in a glorified chop shop a decade ago.
Another thing to consider, GF1 got going because Panasonic kicked in a bunch of $ and put in tons of equipment, will they have that kind of partnership in GF3/4/5? In China, I can see potentially some local battery vendor stepping up because, China. In EU or Australia or India, it's not very clear.

Another thing to consider, GF1 got going because Panasonic kicked in a bunch of $ and put in tons of equipment, will they have that kind of partnership in GF3/4/5? In China, I can see potentially some local battery vendor stepping up because, China. In EU or Australia or India, it's not very clear.

My 2 cents.
Battery technology is too important for Tesla to be mucking around with multiple partners. Unless the relationship sours, I think we can expect Tsla/Panasonic to be in it together.

GF is like a giant cookie cutter. Goal should be to keep them the same as much as possible.

Reactions: dc_h
A few thoughts and questions:

1) What will M3 gross margin look like in Q4? Say if they can hit 5K in Oct, 10K in Nov, and 20K in Dec, volume-wise this already exceeds MS/MX, so would the economy of scale be high enough for positive margin?

2) 100kwh pack margin. The 40% take rate in June on the 100kwh pack size bodes well for gross margin in June, but if the lack of 100kwh packs in Apr/May was due to the production issues, it could mean that the margin on them was bad, at least in Apr/May, so which outweighs which?

3) impact of 3-4K of loaded loaners and test drive cars on profitability, I don't really understand this well, would appreciate some pointers

Last edited:
Reactions: erthquake
When General Motors is bankrupt in 2030 will it matter that the 2011 Chevy Volt and 2017 Chevy Bolt was Motor Trend Car of the Year? Plus the many numerous times GM has won numerous Car of the Year Awards. Does it matter to GM Europe that the Opel Ampera won Car of the Year in Europe?

Car of the Year for the S in 2013 was used extensively in Tesla's publicity, helped with sales, and gave industry legitimacy to Tesla. It would similarly benefit the M3 in 2018. I do not follow GM.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Car of the Year for the S in 2013 was used extensively in Tesla's publicity, helped with sales, and gave industry legitimacy to Tesla. It would similarly benefit the M3 in 2018. I do not follow GM.

It is nice to have awards.

Tesla would not be bankrupt and out of business without MT CoY.

Tesla has one year backlog for M3 at least.

Once in the field it will likely have two years backlog. With or without MT CoY.

I follow the auto industry.

In the grand scope of things it is immaterial.

Reactions: callmesam and JRP3
It is nice to have awards.

Tesla would not be bankrupt and out of business without MT CoY.

Tesla has one year backlog for M3 at least.

Once in the field it will likely have two years backlog. With or without MT CoY.

I follow the auto industry.

In the grand scope of things it is immaterial.
Couldn't agree more. Here are the recent CoY:

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV
2016 Chevrolet Camaro
2015 Volkswagen Golf[15]
2014 Cadillac CTS
2013 Tesla Model S
2012 Volkswagen Passat
2011 Chevrolet Volt[16]
2010 Ford Fusion[17]
2009 Nissan GT-R
2008 Cadillac CTS
2007 Toyota Camry
2006 Honda Civic
Outside of Camry, Civic, Golf, Model S, how many of these mattered to their company's overall success? 2010 Ford Fusion? I had to google what it looked like, and realized it's the one before Ford raided Aston Martin's parts catalog for the grill, lol

IMG_0013.PNG

Spreadsheet: Tesla

A question posted on Reddit that I think is worth considering:

"The major factor affecting Tesla’s Q2 deliveries was a severe production shortfall of 100 kWh battery packs.

We always want our customers to experience the newest versions of Model S and X while their cars are in service, so we added fully loaded, newly built cars to our service loaner fleet."

These statements seem contradictory. If 100kWh packs were the bottleneck then why did they choose this quarter to add them to the service loaner fleet?

A question posted on Reddit that I think is worth considering:

"The major factor affecting Tesla’s Q2 deliveries was a severe production shortfall of 100 kWh battery packs.

We always want our customers to experience the newest versions of Model S and X while their cars are in service, so we added fully loaded, newly built cars to our service loaner fleet."

These statements seem contradictory. If 100kWh packs were the bottleneck then why did they choose this quarter to add them to the service loaner fleet?

Earlier in the press release: Until early June, production averaged about 40% below demand. Once this was resolved, June orders and deliveries were strong, ranking as one of the best in Tesla history.

Apparently Tesla stores and service centers have been expressing the needs for these vehicles to properly serve customers and prospects. Once the bottleneck was resolved, the decision must have been made to go ahead with plans to fulfill those needs, even if it meant delaying deliveries to some customers.

Earlier in the press release: Until early June, production averaged about 40% below demand. Once this was resolved, June orders and deliveries were strong, ranking as one of the best in Tesla history.

Apparently Tesla stores and service centers have been expressing the needs for these vehicles to properly serve customers and prospects. Once the bottleneck was resolved, the decision must have been made to go ahead with plans to fulfill those needs, even if it meant delaying deliveries to some customers.

Thank you, Curt!

It doesn't seem logical to me. If they were production constrained, did June production jump forward so much they caught up on the backlog of orders AND had enough packs remaining to also send cars to service centers and show rooms? If not, why prioritize demo and service cars over customer orders?

I doubt I'll find any data to clarify, but it bugs me a bit.

Reactions: Thumper and AlMc
Status
Not open for further replies.