Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not as knowledgeable on Lithium as I should be, but this article presents some good arguments.

[this isn't my article so I think I can post it?] paging @AudubonB

I would be interested in everyone's thoughts on this.

Mod:
You're welcome to post your summary of it on the "Resources" thread, and encouraged to link that here.

Last edited by a moderator:
upload_2017-10-2_7-6-21.png

Thoughts on this risk from software-savvy members?

Is there a reason for posting these deleted tweets?

My non-software savvy opinion is that we can easily eliminate all horrible things that could happen in our contemporary life if we just refuse to use any software anywhere. Not an advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: scaesare
Is there a reason for posting these deleted tweets?

My non-software savvy opinion is that we can easily eliminate all horrible things that could happen in our contemporary life if we just refuse to use any software anywhere. Not an advice.

I didn't know the tweets were deleted, but I'm not sure if that's relevant.

The OP brings up a very good risk point, and since "bricking" the cars during a catastrophe would severely affect Tesla's image and the stock price alike, I wanted to understand this risk factor better.

I don't have the necessary software background to gauge the level of this potential risk, or what it would mean if it materialized, so I posted it on TMC to see if anyone more knowledgeable than me on the topic would share their informed opinion.

@schonelucht 's response was exactly what I was looking for, and it was very helpful.

• Disagree
Reactions: davecolene0606

The OP brings up a very good risk point, and since "bricking" the cars during a catastrophe would severely affect Tesla's image and the stock price alike, I wanted to understand this risk factor better.

I don't have the necessary software background to gauge the level of this potential risk, or what it would mean if it materialized, so I posted it on TMC to see if anyone more knowledgeable than me on the topic would share their informed opinion.

@schonelucht 's response was exactly what I was looking for, and it was very helpful.

Well, but this seems backwards.

The unlocking of software enabled features is much less frequent (essentially once or twice in car lifetime event) than installing the software updates.

So if you are exploring the risks, you got to start from the other end...

Dont recall which article it was that recently talked about investments on the order of 70B into EVs in Europe. I have three main questions; Will Fudsters call this investment in EVs "massive cash burning" and will they bash them selling cars that qualify for EV incentives and lastly, why would they do such a crazy thing if you cant make any money with EVs? Is it at all possible that they are actually feeling pain in their bottom lines from attacks to their market share from Tesla? I have a bit of news for them that they are not going to like. People arent just buying Tesla's because they are EVs, they are buying them because they are sick of the traditional auto manufacturers same old same old. My guess is that any EV that comes form these guys will be some dumbed down version of their existing brands to keep costs down and I think they will find that much demand exists for that. Tesla has really put them in a tough position by setting the bar so high and pushing it higher every few months with more performance and range and better styling. How do you respond in 2020 to what Tesla is doing today? Badly is how. The X75D you can get today is significantly improved from the X75D I bought just 10 months ago. No one else does that, period. What do you think is going to happen in then next 30 more months? Also, it takes a lot longer then 30 months to build Gigafactories capable of supplying more then 10s of thousands of cars.

Almost always when the market is closed.
This type of behaviour is pretty common across the business world. Anybody know why companies seem to prefer announcing news of all sorts outside of market hours? I mean, I kind of understand news releases immediately after market close, thereby giving the market maximum time to digest the new information before the next trading session, but what of pre-market news releases?

Why this is relevant?

We are tied every which way by trust. Political leaders have worked diligently over the last fifty plus years to hack stability, fairness and trust. Regardless of the fence side you look at, you do not trust the US government. As a new lieutenant I joked that you could take my words to the bank and cash them. Now generals are snuggling up to the very government I hid under a desk in fear of as a child.

The federal treasury has been cracked. I referred to an article recently talking about the stock exchange being cracked and got only one reply because I made a comment at the bottom about let's go green. I do that frequently if we are red and I want to be the cheerleader of Tesla staying green. CEOs have failed us repeatedly like equifax as an example. How about no so well fargo?

Take Stockton, CA, you can not even stop for lunch without hiring body guards. My wife and I can only hope our two missing iPads become bricks; which I would gladly use over someone's head (the bad guys).

Religion in Houston raised its ugly head of corruption, rejecting the displaced humans because they were homeless, thirsty, without gold, and down right stinky.

Nothing we own or believe in is free from breeches, not even the relationship between a legally bonded couple.

Nothing is safe from a breach, I just have to hope for the best, because no one person, place or thing will save you/us. The tweets referred to are aimed at causing fear, nothing more, nothing less.

Credibility is hard to come by. . . :eek: Look at the Tesla story, while not perfect, it is the best in town for me.

Now, lets go green, please:D

Thoughts on this risk from software-savvy members?
Tesla's OTAs appear to work similarly to Google/Apple's.

1. They're (of course) tested locally before deployment
2. They're rolled out in stages

They're rolled out in stages as an extra safeguard to guard against a major problem affecting the entire population. This is the reason you hear people saying "I still haven't gotten the XXXX.XX update".

Here's how a Google engineer described the process for Android:

Rollouts are conducted in phases. Typically they start at 1% of devices for around 24 - 48 hours; we watch the return rates and resulting device checkins and error reports (if any), and make sure nothing looks wrong before sending it to more. Then typically it goes to 25%, 50%, 100% over the course of a week or two.

Bricking a car requires something unforeseen, untested, and catastrophic. It's unlikely just by its nature. Bricking all cars is impossible if the rollout is staged.

What's more likely is that Tesla may introduce a new issue with an update -- like breaking a feature or introducing bad behavior that escaped their tests. Here, the "staged rollout" is designed to minimize that impact.

We'll soon be coming up to the one year anniversary of the autopilot 2.0 hardware introduction. There has been little to no software progress since then in features or quality compared to what Tesla already had with autopilot1 despite promises to the contrary. Not very surprising that other manufacturers are able to steal some thunder here. Hopefully the coast-to-coast demo is still on for the end of year. Although I am not sure how impressive it will actually be.

Well... the goal is to be as boring as possible, so impressive in it's lack of anything interesting?

Having been on a tour of the Volvo plant in Sweden and one other years before most were born, the Tesla plant uses every available square inch of floor space. At every entry point there are parts staged ready to be entered onto the line. Again, because the tour cattle car snakes around and the fact that each line is currently dedicated to each model it is not always easy to re-figure where you are unless the guide clarifies. All stamping locations were silent. But everywhere we looked there were stamped parts ready for assembly.

The Sweden plant was easy to follow since it moved along like a ski lift line and models varied along the way depending on the feed based in computer punch cards:) The robots were human in those days:). The only complete robotic action we were stopped to observe was a MS being shuffled from the end of one line to another by Ice Man and Wolverine (name of two robots) at the Tesla plant. Oh, and an S or X was taken from the last body grinding area where I saw the M3 up onto the line headed out for painting.

I wish I could do a better job here, but things just got scrambled. As we were driving Xena (our MX), out of the area enroute north a blue MX caught up waved and then fell back. That was a nice touch:cool:

It would be nice to do the tour two or three times in close sequence, but the tour guide probably never wants to see me again since I ask all the questions he cannot answer:( Additionally, since this trip had way too many road bumps, my wife is threatening never to do another one:( We did have breakfast at the Crater Lake Lodge which was nice. Clear blue skies with just a touch of snow accumulated here and there. FYI we were able to drive up and back down with sufficient killawats to be comfortable. The new onboard mileage tracking takes into elevatin changes down to the nats, well you get the idea. I was very impressed!:rolleyes:

Okay, back home with still lots of jumping through hoops plugging holes from the trip, but still looking for some of that green I was asking about:D

Hey, if you ever see our plate ~ waterfall scene ~ 4 EARTH:D Please say high!

Yep. Thx. I've been on tour more than once

I am a really good investor so all I want to know is how much "cash burn" are they planning. I am trying to find companies that burn the most cash and invest in them, because this appears to be the new way to make lots of money, though I could be wrong.. not an advice. Actually it is an advice.

But on the other hand, GM also loosing money on every bolt so that is another strong indicator for success. Make 2 + 20 more in the next 5 years, they could burn through billions. I think they are just copying Tesla at this point. The only thing that can save them is Fed Tax credits and CARB credits, its like free money for just putting EV in the name of the car.

Of course this is post is tong-in-cheek but you have to wonder if the FURsters and Bob Lutz specifically will attack GM in the same way they do Tesla. I think we all understand that building two of the largest factories in the world costs some money but once you have them, they are money making machines.

From the other thread..

Here’s a good article that lists many of them...
Elon Musk Versus the Haters

He interviewed Spiegel.
It states that Mark B.S. 's fund is now $ 8.5M. (currently 20% down mainly due to his TSLA short).
Also that he is much shorter now and that his Tesla short is now a whopping 25% of his fund !

I wonder how much does TSLA need to go up make his fund go to ZERO ?

Just hope it is not mainly other peoples money he is risking on so emotionally shorting TSLA.

Status
Not open for further replies.