Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This again. Tesla would not be able to consolidate the vehicle owners. The incentive would be for vehicle owners would be to use the power themselves.

Are you Foghat with a new username?

I dont read so good, but I cannot make heads nor tails for wtf you are yapping about.

I am not saying Tesla will do it, im saying that can and should. I mean they can get panels from anyone, but they are building a huge production capacity for panels in NY. My point is that they could building nothing but battery packs and panels for superchargers and make more money then selling the same to utilities. Now I think they should do both and sell a *sugar* ton of panels and batteries as well as solar tiles and consumer powerwalls. The beautiful thing here is that Tesla could be Tesla's biggest customer.

Tesla could keep tapping into the coal powered grid and pay 12-15c/KWh or more, or they can build out clean energy to support the charging infrastructure and even pass some savings onto drivers. The real issue is the Semi. A model 3 wont be charging much at superchargers as most will charge at home. But a semi on a cross country trip will not have a choice but to charge with Tesla. Not only that, but each Semi is going to consume about as much electricity as 34 model 3s and much of it from Superchargers. Tesla can pay the local grid operator for all that electricity and not mark it up. Or they can build out microgrids to go with these massive chargers for Semis and make a very good markup. The money is going to be spent by Tesla one way or another. They are either going to pay the dirty grid operator or they are going to pay a premium for clean energy from the grid, which will actually be keeping others from consuming that clean energy or they can accelerate the transition to renewables while making a truck load of cash. Ill take the latter.

They also do not have to build micro grids directly next to each supercharger, they can build them out anywhere and offset what they are using for charging, but ideally as close as possible. There will be places along major highways that will be cheap enough and sunny enough. Transmitting electricity is more then half the cost, so closer is best.

I am not saying Tesla will do it, im saying that can and should. I mean they can get panels from anyone, but they are building a huge production capacity for panels in NY. My point is that they could building nothing but battery packs and panels for superchargers and make more money then selling the same to utilities. Now I think they should do both and sell a *sugar* ton of panels and batteries as well as solar tiles and consumer powerwalls. The beautiful thing here is that Tesla could be Tesla's biggest customer.

Biggest issue with this is it ties up way too much capital. Capital that could be better utilized scaling up manufacturing, so they have an even larger impact overall.

Reactions: neroden
Biggest issue with this is it ties up way too much capital. Capital that could be better utilized scaling up manufacturing, so they have an even larger impact overall.

Recently, Tesla has not had a problem acquiring capital on favorable terms.

If you have decent margins with a captive customer, I am sure they can acquire as much capital as needed.

Reactions: neroden

Yeah, dont agree. Not hard to fund large utility scale solar as long as you have someone to buy it. Tesla does. Looking at this another way. There are places where electricity is 30-40c/KWh or more. Tesla is not forced to only sell to end consumers or utilities, they can become their own utility and sell to those other entities. It just so happens to be a profitable way to accelerate their mission.

Edit: Tesla will do it, or someone else will. I would be an investor in that company as well. It might even be an oil company that does it (highly unlikely).

Does anyone know what the max increase (%) in a day TSLA ever had ?
I believe that was May 9, 2013
24.4%
It was partially induced by a SpaceX launch that same day as I recall
[Yes I was there and I was long]
In the months that followed thru Dec there were several other days at 15+%
As well as a few that were down about 15%

That’s my recollection, which may not include some other day, I’m not remembering

If you ignore the daily fluctuations (1 or 2 down days), it was essentially a straight bull run from $35 all the way up to $180, before there was a sustained drop back down to 120. But that was as much due to a short squeeze as the stock being in demand. The short interest isn't as high this time around.

05/08/2013 - close $55.79
05/09/2013 - high $75.77

that's 35% (40% according to article) from previous close to next day's high... why?...

Tesla stock up 40% this week

"Just how dramatic has the spike in Tesla been? Consider this. Tesla's market value is now nearly $9 billion. By way of comparison, General Motor, (GM) the nation's largest automaker, has a market value of about $43 billion.

So GM is worth only five times as much as Tesla. But GM reported 65 times more revenue, 100 times more profit and nearly 500 times more vehicles sold globally than Tesla in the first quarter."

20 quarters later and the story is: Tesla reported one (two?) profitable quarters since then... GM delivers 100x more cars... and Tesla (for a while) had a higher market value than GM.

EDIT: Tesla drives California environmental credits to the bank

without ZEV credits it wouldn't have been profitable in 2013 for that quarter... as well as in Q3 2016.

Last edited:
05/08/2013 - close $55.79
05/09/2013 - high $75.77

that's 35% (40% according to article) from previous close to next day's high... why?...

Tesla stock up 40% this week

"Just how dramatic has the spike in Tesla been? Consider this. Tesla's market value is now nearly $9 billion. By way of comparison, General Motor, (GM) the nation's largest automaker, has a market value of about $43 billion.

So GM is worth only five times as much as Tesla. But GM reported 65 times more revenue, 100 times more profit and nearly 500 times more vehicles sold globally than Tesla in the first quarter."

20 quarters later and the story is: Tesla reported one (two?) profitable quarters since then... GM delivers 100x more cars... and Tesla (for a while) had a higher market value than GM.

EDIT: Tesla drives California environmental credits to the bank

without ZEV credits it wouldn't have been profitable in 2013 for that quarter... as well as in Q3 2016.
Prior to social media companies there were advertising companies also. Now social media generates revenue by advertising and hence is an advertising company or broker if you will.
Paradigm shift for cars and energy is coming...

Prior to social media companies there were advertising companies also. Now social media generates revenue by advertising and hence is an advertising company or broker if you will.
yeah, we know... we've been told this for 15 years now... cept Google bought DoubleClick in 2007... and then they were kicking ass a few short years later... with massive profits... please... tell me... which paradigm are we going to shift here in the auto/energy industry that Tesla shouldn't have shifted by now?... is a $45k EV a paradigm shift?... is a donated PowerPack a paradigm shift?

yeah, we know... we've been told this for 15 years now... cept Google bought DoubleClick in 2007... and then they were kicking ass a few short years later... with massive profits... please... tell me... which paradigm are we going to shift here in the auto/energy industry that Tesla shouldn't have shifted by now?... is a $45k EV a paradigm shift?... is a donated PowerPack a paradigm shift?
China... If GM doesn't pivot shift, there will be no market left for their cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: donauker
actually... let me reply to this a little differently...

of all the "paradigm shifts" you can think of... (btw i hate that y2000 term)... how many of them were telegraphed by the company in promises 10 years in advance?

in 1997 did Apple say: we're going to replace the BlackBerry w/ a "paradigm shift" in the year 2007?

this is what makes my skin crawl about the Tesla following... the proclamation that "everything will change in N years!"

that's not how it works... nobody buying Apple stock in 1999 for $1.38 knew anything about the fact that Apple would explode and store up $250b in cash... they just got ****ing lucky if they held.

but for some reason... Tesla fans think they've "discovered" another holy grail... then baked it into the stock BEFORE it ever happened when it's already been telegraphed to death.

it's just all kind of cheesy.

actually... let me reply to this a little differently...

of all the "paradigm shifts" you can think of... (btw i hate that y2000 term)... how many of them were telegraphed by the company in promises 10 years in advance?

in 1997 did Apple say: we're going to replace the BlackBerry w/ a "paradigm shift" in the year 2007?

this is what makes my skin crawl about the Tesla following... the proclamation that "everything will change in N years!"

that's not how it works... nobody buying Apple stock in 1999 for $1.38 knew anything about the fact that Apple would explode and store up $250b in cash... they just got ****ing lucky if they held.

but for some reason... Tesla fans think they've "discovered" another holy grail... then baked it into the stock BEFORE it ever happened when it's already been telegraphed to death.

it's just all kind of cheesy.

The paradigm shift is already happening, but you can't expect a product like a car to scale as fast as a phone ....

If Tesla were to right now produce in a year as much car as Apple produced iPhones in 2007. The result would be the same (proportionally).

And it will.

Reactions: larmor
The paradigm shift is already happening, but you can't expect a product like a car to scale as fast as a phone ....

If Tesla were to right now produce in a year as much car as Apple produced iPhones in 2007. The result would be the same (proportionally).

And it will.

I agreed. Also, Iphone is making big $$$ on every single Iphone they sell since 2007. Tesla couldnt do that. Their first batches will be a loss in profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.