Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the vins we see being delivered are a)sparse and b)after the car has spent time in transit.

Unlike with S/X where there is enough data on orders in process from fans on vin tracker pages, 3 doesn't have that yet.

Thus, the cars we see delivered today were produced 1-3 weeks ago, making the German tank problem solution lag actual production by a substantial amount, especially as it enters the exponential part of the ramp.

Because the vins we see being delivered are a)sparse and b)after the car has spent time in transit.

a) really not that sparse. I have 16 sightings of VINS 1 through 30, independent from the reveal event. All but one in August (mostly early August too). That suggests that from cars that are out there, there is a roughly 50% chance that the public gets a notification after one month. I have 22 observations in the range 100-200 again all but 3 in early September. That would suggest there is 20% chance that the public sights a VIN after at most two weeks. Despite these percentages either way we have zero observations between 50 and 99. The chance of that happening is 0,002 %(!) or less. So I feel very confident in saying that no cars between 50 and 99 have been released to the public (yet?). That statistical conclusion is partially confirmed by the one observation we have : 53 was the NZ test car. But it used a different VIN format anyway so who knows.

We know the 300 range is special (they appeared even before the delivery event). So let's focus on our observations before we saw 454 and before 300. 45 observations with a max of 263 over a range of 213 possibles (we concluded earlier that 50-99 is not released to the public) is again roughly inline with that 20% observation rate. Not that sparse therefore. Statistically our sigma (measure of how much distance there is to the calculated maximum and real maximum) is now under 5. There is nothing sparse about that.

Now we suddenly get to 454. How does that change our sigma? Depends on how far we extend the 'special' 300 range. Let's take the most conservative assumption and they were reserved to 330 only. Our sigma widens to only 8. Still indicates that nothing sparse is going on. Also not contrary to our earlier calculation with a sigma of just 5 since there is an obvious positive skew (bias towards too low estimates) since the maximum observed number is the absolute minimum and there is no absolute maximum.

b) Most cars are delivered at the factory. Only a few were spotted in Austin and transit took just a few days for those. Therefore average transit at most delays our observations by a few days (not 1-3 weeks). Note : I consider a car produced only after passing QC. It's plausible that manufacturing is ahead by a lot more but many car still waiting for QC. I presume it must be quite extensive for early production runs.

The following is more speculative but still based on my list of VINs and first date of observation.

1-49 cars build before the delivery event in July
50-99 not used or purely internal
100-299 cars build on the pilot line most of them delivered to employees and friends in August and early September
300-330 validation cars, eventually sold if no longer relevant for validation purposes already build (?)
331-399 reserved for further validation models or not used
400+ cars currently being build and delivered unsure if final or pilot line

For those still chowing down on the popcorn, my method for tracking Model 3 production is still showing the same number it was. We shall see if it updates sometime later today. I discovered it around 2:30pm yesterday.

I will be very surprised if there will be more than 300-400 M3s delivered. I will be happy to be wrong, but if the final assembly line started to operate on 9/26, we really should not expect more.

Reactions: neroden and everman
Status
Not open for further replies.