Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is certainly nice to see the stamping working well in the one station shown in Elon's recent Instagram. There is however nothing remarkable about it. This is more or less what one would see on any modern stamping line for any product anywhere on earth.
Sure there is when the FUD bloggers are saying M3 are handcrafted. This maybe a series of videos or just two.

I love that Elon is tormenting shorts with the videos. Brings back memories. Keep in mind many people at tesla including Elon are shareholders that have an underdog mentality. I’d also bet on people who are on the line for the ups. The series of ambulance chasing law firms coming out is really pathetic but a good sign that the kitchen sink is being used at this point by the shorts. Technicals are also looking good. 360 takeout will cause a big pop IMO. Trade em well

I love that Elon is tormenting shorts with the videos. Brings back memories. Keep in mind many people at tesla including Elon are shareholders that have an underdog mentality. I’d also bet on people who are on the line for the ups. The series of ambulance chasing law firms coming out is really pathetic but a good sign that the kitchen sink is being used at this point by the shorts. Technicals are also looking good. 360 takeout will cause a big pop IMO. Trade em well

After 7 years, most longs understand that FUD is just FUD.

If I recall correctly, those presses have tons of idle capacity. Like they can already handle a 500k-1M throughput and always could. On tours (I have done at least 3) you never even see them moving, just the vast racks of already stamped parts.

I disagreed with this statement for a of couple reasons. Idle time is money, serious money. It’s possible that your tours coincided with regular press maintenance, some other press/die issue, or shift change.

You're right about much higher profits with J19s than common
The reason why I keep my options below 6 to 7 % of my total TSLA position is simply:
I'm fallible and I could be very wrong. SP could stagnate until 2019 albeit highly unlikely and I don't want to put an artificial limit on my TSLA exposure in terms of longevity
I've got more than enough common that I don't need or want any more high risk exposure through LEAPS which are not as liquid as common
Theoretically, I could liquidate all my common in less than 10 minutes with no worries about liquidity in case of a major stock or market crash
Not so with leaps without paying dearly
The larger your position the bigger the liquidity concerns
I currently have ~20% of my TSLA investment in J19s (rest in shares), mostly at $390 strike. My logic is J19s $390 strike is price at ~$50, I can get 6X as many shares vs just buying shares. With a delta of 0.5, if TSLA PPS goes up by $10, my J19s only goes up by ~$5, but because I have 6X as many shares, I'm getting ~3X return than just owning shares. Of course this amplification also happens for the downside, but that's why I use J19s.

I don't even need the PPS to go up to $390 + the J19s price to profit. In the next 6 months or so if TSLA will go significantly above the current price range, say low to mid $400s, my J19s would have paid off handsomely. Given so many good things in the pipeline, and the volatility, I think within a 6 months window this could easily happen, even if there will also be dips due to temporary delays or FUD.

In mid 2018 if the PPS is in the low-mid $400, I can reevaluate based on the M3 production/margin, TE, semi, Y, pickup. If uncertainty remains high I can cash out the J19s and convert back into shares. If it looks like TSLA is sitting on BFR and ready to go to Mars, I'll let the J19s ride. Or I can roll the J19s into J20s to buy more time, and also re-balance to keep it to a lower % of my overall TSLA exposure.

I currently have ~20% of my TSLA investment in J19s (rest in shares), mostly at $390 strike. My logic is J19s $390 strike is price at ~$50, I can get 6X as many shares vs just buying shares. With a delta of 0.5, if TSLA PPS goes up by $10, my J19s only goes up by ~$5, but because I have 6X as many shares, I'm getting ~3X return than just owning shares. Of course this amplification also happens for the downside, but that's why I use J19s.

I don't even need the PPS to go up to $390 + the J19s price to profit. In the next 6 months or so if TSLA will go significantly above the current price range, say low to mid $400s, my J19s would have paid off handsomely. Given so many good things in the pipeline, and the volatility, I think within a 6 months window this could easily happen, even if there will also be dips due to temporary delays or FUD.

In mid 2018 if the PPS is in the low-mid $400, I can reevaluate based on the M3 production/margin, TE, semi, Y, pickup. If uncertainty remains high I can cash out the J19s and convert back into shares. If it looks like TSLA is sitting on BFR and ready to go to Mars, I'll let the J19s ride. Or I can roll the J19s into J20s to buy more time, and also re-balance to keep it to a lower % of my overall TSLA exposure.

Are you factoring in the spread or did you buy J19 mid-price and would sell mid-price? Spreads can be costly on LEAPs. Why not also sell something like J19 240 Puts also? Though, selling puts requires some level of margin against it - it's not too bad. I am only selling puts on "everything" (variety of stocks) at this time. Most close J18 and I will look further at that time. Sure, I could have bought some stock heavy and matched the results, but it is so much easier with the variety than a single issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: TMSE
I disagreed with this statement for a of couple reasons. Idle time is money, serious money. It’s possible that your tours coincided with regular press maintenance, some other press/die issue, or shift change.

So, what is the per-minute rate of the presses when they are in action? Could one-shift handle all the body work for the day's 2 or more shifts? Presses in constant action are running one press per 30-seconds or better. That's faster than cars are made.

If I recall correctly, those presses have tons of idle capacity. Like they can already handle a 500k-1M throughput and always could. On tours (I have done at least 3) you never even see them moving, just the vast racks of already stamped parts.
I had the opposite experience. I have toured 3 times. 2013, 2014, and 2016. The press was always moving.

Y'all seem to be thinking this is a bad thing. For those disagreeing with me, are you saying they do NOT support a 500k runrate? If so I recommend selling TSLA since they really cannot easily increase stamping capacity. I sleep easy at night knowing those presses are mostly idle. That means once the BIW line for M3 is up and running the whole factory will be running at optimal speed.

Are you factoring in the spread or did you buy J19 mid-price and would sell mid-price? Spreads can be costly on LEAPs. Why not also sell something like J19 240 Puts also? Though, selling puts requires some level of margin against it - it's not too bad. I am only selling puts on "everything" (variety of stocks) at this time. Most close J18 and I will look further at that time. Sure, I could have bought some stock heavy and matched the results, but it is so much easier with the variety than a single issue.
Not playing spread. Not selling any options either, I don't want to margin, and I'm buying LEAPS soley as share replacement. I'm also not chasing the best price for my LEAPS. I know I get ripped off by a few $ when buying LEAPS compared with buying shares, but my aim is medium-term gain ($50s or more) that will dwarf the extra few $.

Status
Not open for further replies.