Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Albertine went after him big time!

That was Ben Kallo, but yeah I almost start to feel sorry for Spiegel (OK, not really):

spiegelnotie.png

I suspect TSLA is engineering the next ER a bit. Not recognizing any AP2.0 in Q4 2016 seems out of their character. If parity software OTA this Q, that would be an extra close to 100M pure profit going into Q1 ER.
That's not engineering. That's the law. You can't recognize revenue for a product you didn't deliver. The earliest cars got EAP test code on Dec 31, and it wasn't up to parity with AP1.

Speigel insisted on comparing quarter-over-quarter deliveries and said (paraphrasing) that if it ever went down, it was a sign of trouble. His methodology appears to have no capacity for a longer-term deliveries plan, which might see a single Q-on-Q drop but overall is definitely climbing. He even asked "what Tesla car has people lining up to buy it?" which is about the dumbest Tesla-related question you can ask - especially as it is so publicly visible. When the other guys simply pointed out that this was the Model 3, he tried to steer them away and get the conversation back to the Q-on-Q deliveries of Model S+X. Stepped into crap of his own invention, if you ask me. What a moron. His body language is not serious either, lots of laughing and swinging back and forth in his chair. They all were on too early... before the CC and didn't have enough time to read the PDF. Colin Langan of UBS was probably refusing to come on before the CC.

Of course they can't legally recognize the full $5k. But not recognizing almost any it not their usual practice. See AP1.0 roll out.
They only delivered partial software to 1000 cars. ALL other AP2 cars had nothing as of Dec 31. So at best, they could recognize some fraction of 1000 cars worth, and be able to make some argument as to the fraction chosen. Simpler to just deliver and recognize in 1Q.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
They only delivered partial software to 1000 cars. ALL other AP2 cars had nothing as of Dec 31. So at best, they could recognize some fraction of 1000 cars worth, and be able to make some argument as to the fraction chosen. Simpler to just deliver and recognize in 1Q.
That's exactly what I meant. The choice of this fraction is the "engineering" part. AP1.0 recognized more than what they have done to AP2.0 with less performance at that time.

I like

We expect to invest between $2 b and $2.5 b in capex ahead of model 3 production

Cash on hand 31 December $ 3.393b

Tesla also did not spend the $1B (or $1.25B?) in capex last quarter Tesla said it will do so, just in Q3 ER.
Cash is up, but so are the liabilities that came with Solarcity and purchase agreements. Revenue is almost at par with Q3 only due to Solaricty merger.
Operating expenses also increased, probably because of Solarcity inclusion

I'm seeing conflicting headlines about the losses. Some say "losses wider than expected", some say less :(
Tesla posts wider-than-expected loss of 69 cents a share
[$$] Tesla Loss Narrows in Fourth Quarter

PS: How many of you were expecting a profit in Q4?

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.