Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steady run up, but seriously weak volume today. I realize its a no news day right before a deliveries report, but it seems exceptionally low volume.

Healthy consolidation. Add to that a big pile of options expiring today after a big runup - it's been common in past similar situations, so it's to be expected, IMO. If anything, I'm rather impressed by the runup in the last hour. Maybe max pain shifted up a bit since last night.

Edit - TSLA GEX ("gamma exposure") has been holding fairly high the last few days since the runup. That tends to put the brakes on movement/volatility. Since December, high GEX has always had this effect without news. My personal hunch is a pop upwards on Monday, assuming no bad news.

Last edited:
Personally, I think TSLA is marching on 280 with pitchforks and burning torches today. With a decent Q1 delivery number, the walls of the fort will be breached and 280 will fall. That said, some end of day profit-taking is possible today (in anticipation of Monday's uncertainty) and if the numbers are somewhat low on Monday, a small dip is likely. I'm holding my TSLA investment, willing to weather any dip because I think the upside is far greater than the downside at this time.

Edit: Of course the broader markets did a swan dive as I wrote these words. You gotta have a sense of humor in this business.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 2.10.32 PM.png

I assume you're referring to this pair of tweets:
Mark B. Spiegel on Twitter
Mark B. Spiegel on Twitter

Sounds to me like he's gonna keep some of the position, but is tiring of losing his (mom's) shirt.

Exactly. Here's the other quote:

tslamar31spiegel.JPG

This is a big part of the reason I am bullish at this time. Shorts are willing to defend 280, but if Q1 numbers are good, 280 will fall and even Spiegel will be trimming his short position. The big question is the Q1 numbers. As the past two quarters have shown, they're really hard to predict with confidence.

Exactly. Here's the other quote:

View attachment 220682

This is a big part of the reason I am bullish at this time. Shorts are willing to defend 280, but if Q1 numbers are good, 280 will fall and even Spiegel will be trimming his short position. The big question is the Q1 numbers. As the past two quarters have shown, they're really hard to predict with confidence.
Seriously, can anyone figure out a way to persuade or trick Spiegel to stay short? If he is referring to margin calls and forced covering, I guess we can't do much.

Whoever invited him to speak at the Robin Hood Investors Conference in November 2016 did an excellent job.

Or was that a crazy level of short selling in a massive effort to hold the price under 280?
In addition to the usual short-sellers, this could have been partly the work of options market makers. There were about 5000 $280 quarterly calls outstanding, so they stood to lose a lot if Tesla closed above $280 on Friday, especially if it went significantly above it. If they were involved, they're probably *already* closing their short positions. Monday should be interesting.

In addition to the usual short-sellers, this could have been partly the work of options market makers. There were about 5000 $280 quarterly calls outstanding, so they stood to lose a lot if Tesla closed above $280 on Friday, especially if it went significantly above it. If they were involved, they're probably *already* closing their short positions. Monday should be interesting.
I'm afraid I don't understand this logic. The quarterly calls are still outstanding, and if they wrote the calls, they can't do anything to close them (other than to "buy to close" which will still force the price up. Can you clarify what you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.