Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought for the morning... there is some Trump-sourced instability ahead due to comments about North Korea and China. If this depresses the asian markets and it cascades to the USA markets, all stocks could be depressed.

If by some small chance this ruins the upward jump for TSLA and it actually opens down due to macro, it would be a buying opportunity of course - and an opportunity for shorts to get out of their positions before things get worse for them. To say "Tesla is here to stay" would be an understatement at this point.

Anything could happen of course but in advance of tomorrows TSLA action, Asian markets are currently looking pretty good so far and will be closed in 3-4 hours.
Also Chinese markets are closed for Holiday.

Reactions: MartinAustin
I have no real clue, but here are scenarios I consider for tomorrow in descending order or probabilities:
1) Open in high 280, crosses 290, and there is a war the whole day btw 290 and 300
2) Don't know, something unexpected as is TSLA's habbit, including possible pullback. This is a favorite stock for MMs to take lunch money away from retail traders
3) Open low 280 and spends the whole day 280-290
4) Opens 305+, spends some time btw 300-310 being violently shorted, and then continues marching and finishes somewhere btw. 310-350

Release of results on Sunday will let many shorts simmer overnight, and they may be done by the morning. This is why I think #4 is a real possibility

I have no real clue, but here are scenarios I consider for tomorrow in descending order or probabilities:
1) Open in high 280, crosses 290, and there is a war the whole day btw 290 and 300
2) Don't know, something unexpected as is TSLA's habbit, including possible pullback. This is a favorite stock for MMs to take lunch money away from retail traders
4) Opens 305+, spends some time btw 300-310 being violently shorted, and then continues marching and finishes somewhere btw. 310-350

Release of results on Sunday will let many shorts simmer overnight, and they may be done by the morning. This is why I think #4 is a real possibility
While I would love #4 (and probably make enough tomorrow to buy the model S I've been lusting for if it happens), I think #1 is probably the most likely.

I expect the opening of Frankfurt in 3.5 hours will be our first clue.

TT007:
Please share - BUT IN THE "Other Tech Stock to Consider" THREAD - your thoughts as to why SNAP is an investment to consider.

Thank you.....
I did with the necessary caveat that this is simply a short term trade and not an investment
Tesla is to GM and BMW what Facebook is to Twitter and SNAP. Just like Facebook is the premium player in social media space and everyone else is a distant second, similarly Tesla will dominate the auto sector for years to come
SNAP is not an investment whereas Tesla is a long term high grade investment
Snap is overpriced Tesla is severely underpriced

I'm not overly concerned about what Tesla does tomorrow. All I know is that in 6 months from now Tesla will be a lot higher and really that is all that matters to me. Having said that tomorrow is definitely a buying opportunity and the start of a brand-new uptrend after three years of consolidation. So if I was a new investor I would be putting my money into Tesla tomorrow at the open and not worrying about what stock does tomorrow or day after or the next week but fully knowing that in three months and six months and a year and two years and five years from now it will be exponentially higher from current prices.
I will admit however that I will watch it very closely because it is always fun to make a ton of money in a short period of time that never gets old

I am extremely naive to the stock market,
My one and only recommendation: research, research, research. There are many ways to make money in the stock market -- all of them depend on doing more research than the other guys. There are many ways to lose money -- most depend on doing less research. If you think you can beat the market, ask yourself "What do I know that most of the people in the market are overlooking?" and make sure that they're actually overlooking it.

I tried to look up @kevin99 profile. It says he was banned. Any story there? Seems like he was successful enough.

I liked Kevin. Met him before at first TMC annual meeting

He was an okay guy by me. He had strong opinions and ruffled some feathers

I don't remember all the details. Some personal attacks. Stuff that gets you banned.

It's all old history now...

What about a real short squeeze here? Seems like everything is in place for a major squeeze.

• Love
Reactions: TrendTrader007
It would be irrational for the market to bid this stock up substantially, and I'll vote against it happening. In the end calculus, the impact of the X and S on Tesla are becoming quantified and do not by themselves explain much of Tesla's value, which is locked into future models and mobility as a service. Neither of these two categories are informed much by a slight overproduction of legacy cars.

• Love
Mmmm, I think the shorts have to get themselves in a little more over their heads before there's a squeeze. If Tencent is accumulating up to 10%, then it becomes a real possibliity.
I could see a squeeze start if we pop significantly past ATH in order to start the avalanche of margin calls. The nature of how margin calls work would cause an accelerating melt up, but I don't think it happens until we're 5-10% above ATH. Unlikely, but not impossible to achieve tomorrow, depending on how much WS likes the numbers.

• Love
It would be irrational for the market to bid this stock up substantially, and I'll vote against it happening. In the end calculus, the impact of the X and S on Tesla are becoming quantified and do not by themselves explain much of Tesla's value, which is locked into future models

I do agree, but in the short-run (less than 10 years), markets are notoriously irrational. If you're a long-termer, this only matters for timing of trades, but there was a reason I was rushing to finish assembling my positions before the quarterly delivery numbers were released...

I liked Kevin. Met him before at first TMC annual meeting

He was an okay guy by me. He had strong opinions and ruffled some feathers

I don't remember all the details. Some personal attacks. Stuff that gets you banned.

It's all old history now...
I met Kevin on my 2nd factory tour almost 4 years ago. Nice guy. I recall he got heavy into KNDI and even started a blog about it.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
It would be irrational for the market to bid this stock up substantially, and I'll vote against it happening. In the end calculus, the impact of the X and S on Tesla are becoming quantified and do not by themselves explain much of Tesla's value, which is locked into future models and mobility as a service. Neither of these two categories are informed much by a slight overproduction of legacy cars.

Most important factor is that TSLA is now exceeding expectations. Market could see this as increasing the probability of successful execution down the line. That itself could have a MASSIVE effect on share price, particularly given backdrop of other recent positives such as Tencent investment as well as validation of value of autonomous driving tech based on MBLY purchase. Also Elons recent comments on model 3 make it clear that they are heavily focused on avoiding unnecessary risk and complexity with model 3 launch, which also increases chance of success. Throw in the surprise that X production / demand is robust and is closing in on S, despite worries that X was unbuildable and not appealing to buyers. Also, if a significant portion of AP2 revenue from Q4 and Q1 is realized this could result in blow out numbers for Q1. And solar roof and TE details could help this story as well. And don't forget that ALL of these UNEXPECTED positives are happened in the context of huge short interest.

I don't think a run up would be irrational.

Status
Not open for further replies.