Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Tesla was at $27.85 on Friday close. It jumped on Monday to $28.72 on open, then ran up to $29.88. On Tuesday it went up to $30.37. Today it traded as low as $29.93 before returning to $30.32 by 1:30 PM..."

Odd, it *sounds* different, doesn't it? Even though it isn't really different.

One difference is that I was able to get into an old IRA account my wife had where she hadnt put the money to work. I could only afford a few shares of Tesla at 300. Would have been able to buy at least 5 more shares at 30 or a half a share at 300. A small difference, but it adds up.

Reactions: neroden
Was tired of lurking too :)

Thanks to all of you guys, back in October 2016 I was kind of depressed to see that the share price was not lifting after Q3 results (and I got burnt pretty badly) but following this thread helped me recover.

On topic : would it be a three white soldiers on daily chart if today ends up as green as Monday and yesterday? If so, do you think it will be enough catalyst to trigger the shorts margin calls?

Attachments

• three white soldiers 2017-04-05..PNG
    three white soldiers 2017-04-05..PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 57
So, interesting. Opens, jumps up in "amateur hour", sharp dip at 10 AM, being pushed back up again. This is a somewhat familiar pattern. Papafox, look familiar to you? You've become the expert on intraday Tesla charts.

In the "bad old days" the mandatory morning dip often took place right at opening. Nowadays, after reviewing the daily charts, dips on opening don't go too far because of volume and amateur hour buying. Sometimes we see a double-dip, a quick one that gets extinguished shortly after opening and the biggest dip of the day that typically takes place 10am-11am-ish. If you're looking for a time to buy, I would favor that time period. It certainly would have worked well today. The exception is when you suspect TSLA is going to have a really big day, such as right after the Q1 delivery numbers came out. When you expect "off to the races" trading, as early as possible is typically better.

As a reference to those who don't visit the site often, daily trading charts are archived in the TSLA Daily Trading Charts thread. We have nearly a year's worth of daily trading charts there when you wish to research an idea.

Last edited:
I found it particularly interesting the way he characterized the Tencent thing.

Send in the clown. Tencent did not "write a $1.8 billion check to Tesla for 5% of its shares." It bought them in the secondary market over many months with an average basis of $216/share. Is Tencent continuing to buy? No one knows. If they go under 5% or over 10% they will have to file an amended form 13g: otherwise, check the form 13f's six weeks after the quarter ends.

The tradeable float is extremely low and will remain so until there is a resolution of whether Tesla can produce the M3 in large volumes and sell them profitably. In the interim, place your bets.

I really do think that's nuts: it's valuing the hypothetical Tesla Mobility which hasn't gotten off the ground and assigning zero to the *shipping orders every month* Tesla energy.

Yeah, well Adam J isn't an Energy analyst. Nor is he a Solar or Utility analyst

Maybe Morgan Stanley should have other in-house analysts with expertise in those business segments evaluate those other lines-of-business.

Nice to see an EOD run up again thru $305

Last edited:
Reactions: SunCatcher
...And could we see a nice run up at the end of the day if we are just entering in a handle (blue) following the cup (red)?

fingers crossed

edit : not enough volume :(

Attachments

• cup and handle 2017-04-05.PNG
    cup and handle 2017-04-05.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I
No hurry.. :) I am very happy if we consolidate a few weeks above 300, and then a good Q1 and TE update etc. can send us higher.

Let time work at our side against shorts deep under water.. eventually... ;-)
I would be just fine with slow boiling the shorts instead of a short squeeze. If there is a short squeeze, the sudden pain of existing shorts will warn off future shorts, and I might overthink and try to time a potential pullback afterwards, and those timing attempts never work out for me. If it's a slow boil, I can just sit back and relax and watch a steady climb, while the shorts sweat day after day wondering when it's going to stop, and endless new shorts keep marching in and getting crushed. I'm here for the long haul and will need entertainment along the whole way.

I

I would be just fine with slow boiling the shorts instead of a short squeeze. If there is a short squeeze, the sudden pain of existing shorts will warn off future shorts, and I might overthink and try to time a potential pullback afterwards, and those timing attempts never work out for me. If it's a slow boil, I can just sit back and relax and watch a steady climb, while the shorts sweat day after day wondering when it's going to stop, and endless new shorts keep marching in and getting crushed. I'm here for the long haul and will need entertainment along the whole way.

Agree, like back in 2013.. nothing explosive about it, took its time over weeks/months if I remember correct?

Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.