Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was seriously considering not even posting this but a person at work claimed they new someone on the inside. He didn't say directly if the person was from Ford or Tesla but I understood him to mean Ford. We were very busy and didn't have much time to talk. The rumor he heard was Ford is buying Tesla. I told him it was my opinion that Elon would never allow the sale of Tesla at all much less to Ford. I also feel the shareholders of TSLA would vote it down. Tesla would also have no interest in purchasing Ford. The "insider" was trying to convince him to buy shares of Ford.

I wonder if Tesla might be buying an old Ford plant and the rumor got mixed up through the grapevine.

Take all of this with a grain of salt because it sounded crazy to me.

I was seriously considering not even posting this but a person at work claimed they new someone on the inside. He didn't say directly if the person was from Ford or Tesla but I understood him to mean Ford. We were very busy and didn't have much time to talk. The rumor he heard was Ford is buying Tesla. I told him it was my opinion that Elon would never allow the sale of Tesla at all much less to Ford. I also feel the shareholders of TSLA would vote it down. Tesla would also have no interest in purchasing Ford. The "insider" was trying to convince him to buy shares of Ford.

I wonder if Tesla might be buying an old Ford plant and the rumor got mixed up through the grapevine.

Take all of this with a grain of salt because it sounded crazy to me.
Sounds completely crazy.

Of course, maybe Ford is buying TSLA stock? After all, both Chrysler and Toyota did. Daimler bought 10% of Tesla in 2009, sold the last of it near the highs in 2014. Toyota bought about 2.5% in 2010, sold most of it in 2014 as well. (I'm guessing these sales caused the run down from the 2014 high).

I could believe TSLA buying an old F plant for one of the other GFs. That certainly fits within Tesla's MO.

I could maybe believe F acquiring a share of TSLA. As others noted, other automakers have done this in the past. F could not effect a takeover of TSLA. Elon and other large investors of the never-sell variety mean there are not enough shares available for F to take control.

Reactions: neroden
306 appears to be a critical level....

Yesterday's selloff appears to be macro related.

Index futures are down.... The VIX spike that happened yesterday is slowing down tho. I think yesterday may have been a bottom for the indexes, but they will be soft for he rest of the week, to go up next week.

Hoping for 306 support to hold and hopefully end the week a tiny bit over 310.

Premarket range is 305.x to 309.x

Friday is a market holiday, which is fun for those holding weeklies.

Last edited:
Insanity!

Tesla Posts Huge Short Interest, 27% of Float
Short interest in Tesla Inc. (TSLA) for the period ending March 31 totaled 31.35 million shares, up 0.9% from the 31.07 million shares short reported in the prior period. Nearly 27% of the company's shares are short, even as it spars with General Motors Co. (GM) to become the U.S.-based carmaker with the highest market cap.

Tesla has far outperformed the broad markets, with the stock up 63% since last December. Over the past 52 weeks, the stock is up 23.4%, compared with a gain of nearly 21% for the Nasdaq Composite and about 15% for the S&P 500.

The electric carmaker continues to defy typical market behavior. When it announced a $1 billion capital raise in mid-March, shares rose 2%. Virtually any other company would have seen its share price dip.

I believe we are not following macros at the moment, but a similar chart formation to March/April 2013.......just before the real pop on the earnings report in May 2013. The similarities - first a breakout to a new ATH, then a pullback over a period of a couple weeks to 'test' the new support, which was then followed by a slow & steady return of the stock price to the ATH and a steady gap up above it until just before the envelope was opened and read aloud on earnings day. I see the stock price currently testing and building support around the 300 level instead of continuing to creep up as a really good thing - it builds a bigger foundation for the launch pad. It could create a wonderful double-dip chart poised for launch that every analyst can share before earnings day, and it gives time to march up to the earnings date at with a steady pace like 2013, instead of the many erratic retracements to ATH's in so many of the quarters between 2013 and now that had no real fundamental support - just hope and a big sell on the news.

But for all the time I have spent looking at the technicals, the one single data point that gives me the most hope for a nice run next month is that the brokerage firm we use sent us a rating on TSLA for the first time that I recall since the last big run........and their opinion of the value of the stock at this point in time was very poor. I take that as a sign that they need shares to loan and shares to hold themselves. They know I have some and they want them because good things are just around the corner. Greed is horrible thing. They get my money on every trade we have made with them for years, and they are likely making money from our account in ways I could not guess, and still after all that time they would close me out in a flash for the cash by presenting to me what I consider to be a misleading representation on TSLA at this point in time. So perhaps the best investment advice I have learned from all this is to find really greedy people and then do exactly the opposite of what they tell you to do. And based on the note I just received from them we should hold our TSLA shares as tightly as ever now. The dog pile is coming because once again there aren't enough shares to go around. Good luck everyone

Without macros, I'd have zero concerns about TSLA technicals currently

Macros are my concern currently

Last year started with a nightmare (China and Oil). dragged tesla down with it
Something like that happens I can see us dipping from $300 to $250, similar to the dip from $180 to $150 last year. One difference though, last year TSLA was trading side ways with a steady baseline at $180. This year TSLA is a moving target, $300 now doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same baseline in 1-2 months, so waiting for a specific price point may be difficult.

is this the reason TSLA went down 2% today?
Former GM vice chair: I think Tesla is doomed

Yes, it took a significant hit as soon as that ex-GM executive began bad mouthing Telsa on CNBC along with posted negative comments on the screen from the CEO of the nation's largest auto retailer. It was the same old misleading FUD that they both like to spread. The selling pressure was likely assisted by a rather poor macro market. Once such media beat downs have run their usual course of an hour or so, they are often followed by a meaningful bounce upward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.