Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the actual interview he said that he believes that you should limit your investments to 2-3 investments because that's the limit of of what you can understand really well.

Yeah, my limit of diversification due to *ability to research* seems to be roughly 7 investments right now. Though two are easy (one is a fire-and-forget merger arb, where I only had to do the research once and it either works or it doesn't; one is a super-stable non-leveraged real estate fund, kept as diversification against general stock market downturns other than the sort which happened in 2008, and yes, I do read the actual list of what buildings they own). And I suspect I'm not paying enough attention to two of them.

My grandmother could usually handle 10 investments at a time but I think that is really the limit for almost anyone. And that counts separate positions in "baskets" separately, which is probably not correct in terms of attention: if you're trying to span an industry because you know the industry is good but you don't know which company will win out most, and you buy the 3 stocks in the industry which you think are most likely to do best, you're really only doing one set of research.

Last edited:
Reactions: MitchJi
There was at least 97K shares borrowed for shorting pre-market at Fidelity. I was expecting much heavier activity. Not much conviction among short sellers.

Snap1.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rarity and Papafox
Am I the only one thinking this looks an awful lot like the pattern we saw Tues/Wed/Thurs last week?
I'm trading it as such.... getting a good deal on options was not happening this morning so I piled into stock.

Time will tell if it will behave like last week. I'm not discounting the possibility of Nasdaq being down every day this week.

The Takata airbag debacle has hammered the whole industry. Their inflators are so ubiquitous that basically every manufacturer got caught up in this mess. I really doubt it would have any effect on SP, since Takata problems are well known at this point, and Tesla is taking a very pro-active stance by going beyond what Takata has officially recalled.

Here is what I worry about the most:

Trump is a randomizing factor that can cause havoc or overall be ok, especially when the focus shifts from subsidizing fossil fuels to supporting all american manufacturing . Some of his assignments into offices are the worst case, i.e. EPA. Not sure how much of that is him or the republican party around Pence. But there also is Peter Thiel and the board of advisors including Musk for SpaceX that could swing away from stubborn fossil fuel support towards what makes economic sense, i.e. innovation on renewables and transportation. The thing that I see as the most threat to Tesla politically is if Trump gets impeached, but Pence stays to be the president, and he may just not care about Thiels input and private sector driven innovation but rather go back to supporting existing strongholds of power suppressing private sector innovation, i.e. military, fossil fuel exploitation, big established space technology companies that got fat contracts before instead of trying hard to innovate to lower cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.